64 replies to this topic

#21 of 65 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 10:08 PM

Tell me they're kidding ...

They release 15YL but not ISDoJ ... and call it a COMPLETE series? Posted Image

Then there's that godawful open packaging! (Scratched disks, anyone? Is THIS any way to treat a LEGEND? Posted Image )

#22 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 10:38 PM

I'll keep my individual sets because I like the artwork and photos.

I was hoping for a real enclosed bottle-type packaging. O.K.--not a real glass bottle. Maybe a plastic bottle-shaped case--not the 3D cardboard-type with exposed discs as pictured. Hopefully, this is just the preliminary artwork and it will change.

I would like the movie, though.
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#23 of 65 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,347 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 23 2008 - 11:46 PM

Aside from the fact that they're absolutely terrible (IMO an insult to the show), I don't consider the TV-movies part of the series, as they lacked the participation of two of the three most major players: Sidney Sheldon and Larry Hagman. HOWEVER, I can't believe Sony is putting one movie in the package and not both.

Ideally, they should not be part of the complete set, but they should come out on the same day for those who want them. They could even put them out on 2 slim discs with a slipcase cover to match the season sets (even though both films could fit on a single dvd.)

Ron, I agree about the bottle. And maybe this is prelim. (Although I doubt they'll change from cardboard to a more real type set-up.)

#24 of 65 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 11:56 PM

If the "Wild Wild West" CS set can include both of THEIR TV-reunion movies, why can't "I Dream of Jeannie" do likewise?

There is absolutely NO excuse for this! Posted Image

#25 of 65 OFFLINE   WhitneyG

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:22 AM

It figures. I buy the seasons loyally supporting the series and allowing it to move forward only to be screwed by them including the first follow-up movie exclusively as a bonus feature. I don't know why I bother anymore. In the future, I may ban myself from buying any season sets for series that had follow-up special/movies not available on DVD. The industry makes some quick cash by including this stuff only in the series collections, but how many regular customers are they losing in the process?

#26 of 65 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:25 AM

Well, Liz, for starters they are from different companies.

And I don't know for sure that the 2nd telefilm *won't* be on there. It's just that the preliminary info sent to retailers prominently mentions one, but makes no mention of the other.

Perhaps there's a rights issue with the second one, somehow? Any IDoJ experts out there who might know?

And yes, there's a good chance the bottle art is preliminary and could change. I don't know how drastically, though...the pictures seem pretty detailed and not as "rough" as Sony's temp art usually is. That might not mean anything, though.

AFTER Sony makes their formal announcement, I can give it a day (or two at most) and see if the answers to these questions come in with the official material. If not, I will certainly make a direct inquiry about them.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#27 of 65 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyG
It figures. I buy the seasons loyally supporting the series and allowing it to move forward only to be screwed by them including the first follow-up movie exclusively as a bonus feature. I don't know why I bother anymore. In the future, I may ban myself from buying any season sets for series that had follow-up special/movies not available on DVD. The industry makes some quick cash by including this stuff only in the series collections, but how many regular customers are they losing in the process?

See, it's really a catch-22 here, Whitney.

Sony just got complaints because they announced Sanford and Son - The Complete Series with all the same material, with no bonus episodes of the later series Sanford, and no special packaging ("why should I bother upgrading?; I'll stick with what I have!").

Now they'll get complaints because they DID add a bonus telefilm and special packaging for Jeannie ("they're screwing me over and FORCING me to upgrade!").

Of course, Media Blasters solved this exact problem with Invader Zim this way, but then retailers complained that they don't want to carry "empty box" packaging such as that, due to lack of shelf space, and indicated that they wouldn't be doing it in the future. So, few stuff like that since then, and mainly for anime releases sold at very few stores (I'm surprised Best Buy carries as much of it as they do).

So what would you do if you were in the studio's shoes? How do you make everyone happy? I think Gord's editorial had the best idea possible, don't you?
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#28 of 65 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lambert
Well, Liz, for starters they are from different companies.

And I don't know for sure that the 2nd telefilm *won't* be on there. It's just that the preliminary info sent to retailers prominently mentions one, but makes no mention of the other.

Perhaps there's a rights issue with the second one, somehow? Any IDoJ experts out there who might know?

Sony owns the show. They own the characters.

I can't see a rights issue being involved.

Thanks, David! Posted Image

#29 of 65 OFFLINE   WhitneyG

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
Sony just got complaints because they announced Sanford and Son - The Complete Series with all the same material, with no bonus episodes of the later series Sanford, and no special packaging ("why should I bother upgrading?; I'll stick with what I have!").
Really!? I haven't checked out any discussions for that, as I'm not interested in buying S&S. I am absolutely amazed at that reaction. I would guess that reaction is much less common than the reaction to them including exclusive content. I am just shocked that there are people out there who want the studio to include exclusive content. I could see why people who held out for something special would be disappointed they did so for no reason (except a potentially cheaper price, of course), but I guess I just think differently than other collectors.

Quote:
So what would you do if you were in the studio's shoes? How do you make everyone happy? I think Gord's editorial had the best idea possible, don't you?
Absolutely. I have no problem with Sony giving series set customers content that wasn't in the season sets, as long as season set customers have some way to get that content too. I'd happily shell out $20 for a disc with the two telefilms to complete my collection.

#30 of 65 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,114 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 05:36 AM

The qualm I would have is how sturdy is the packaging. It looks kind of flimsy to me.

I also have no interest in the movies. I agree it was criminal that Larry Hagman and Sidney Sheldon were not even asked to do it. It seems they should have at least been given the chance to say no. The movies have a huge problem. Barbara Eden wanted to play Jeannie as a modern day woman.
In the series, a lot of humor resulted from Jeannie's naivete. Without that, you got something that's almost a drama with a little humor here and there.

#31 of 65 OFFLINE   FrankPitt

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 08:04 AM

After buying the individual sets -- and as much as I'd like to have "15 Year Later" on DVD -- there's no way I'm double-dipping on this. I won't even ask for it as a Christmas gift. Here's hoping that Sony is planning to release both TV-movie sequels, separate from the "complete" collection.

And while they're at it, maybe they could do us a favor and replace the incorrect (and lousy) sound effects in the movies with the proper ones. If figure if I'm gonna wish, I'm gonna wish big.

#32 of 65 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,347 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPitt
And while they're at it, maybe they could do us a favor and replace the incorrect (and lousy) sound effects in the movies with the proper ones. If figure if I'm gonna wish, I'm gonna wish big.

Before they do that, they need to go back and put back in the original music cues and sound effects that were replaced in some episodes on the Season 2 set. The replacements were dreadful.

#33 of 65 OFFLINE   mraw

mraw

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 10:02 AM

I'm not a fan of Jeannie, but the packaging looks kind of cool to me. It reminds me of the "I Love Lucy" set that was released last year. Either way, I'm sure that it'd make for a good conversation piece on your shelf regardless.

#34 of 65 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisP
I also have no interest in the movies. I agree it was criminal that Larry Hagman and Sidney Sheldon were not even asked to do it. It seems they should have at least been given the chance to say no.

Larry WAS asked to do 15YL (He and TPTB couldn't agree on salary. Posted Image )

He was also asked to do ISDoJ (He turned it down because "Dallas" had just ended and he wanted to take a vacation from acting for awhile.)

Quote:
The movies have a huge problem. Barbara Eden wanted to play Jeannie as a modern day woman.
In the series, a lot of humor resulted from Jeannie's naivete. Without that, you got something that's almost a drama with a little humor here and there.

I think they lend an extra dimension to the show (They show the evolution of the character.)

#35 of 65 OFFLINE   jacktripper1

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:37 PM

I won't be buying this set. If it had both reunion movies, MAYBE but I just bought the 5th season 3 weeks ago. But that packaging was AWESOME

#36 of 65 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:59 PM

Patterson Lundquist, webmaster of IDreamofJeannie.com, is also the designer of the past couple seasons artwork and the complete series. He posted today on idreamofjeanniefans.net to clear up some confusion about this release. As you must be a member of that site, I'll post what he said here:

Quote:
I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later & I Still Dream of Jeannie are not going to be included in the boxed set. Originally Sony was not going to include either one, after a lengthy discussion I did persuade them to reconsider. Sadly the time frame wouldn't allow remastering of the first reunion film so it in fact will NOT be included. I'll repeate this.

I DREAM OF JEANNIE: 15 YEARS LATER WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE COMPLETE SERIES BOXED SET.

Myself as well as a great deal of people included in the production of this set are unhappy and we wish it could have been included.

So the break down is:

The November date is correct.
I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later isn't included.
The package art currently online is outdated.

You can be sure to find photos of the finalized box set here on the Jeannie fans site and I can assure you that it looks 100% nicer than the digital rendering you've already seen, I've seen it mysef and it really is beautiful.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Of course, we'll have to wait for tomorrow's official announcement from Sony to verify all of this.

#37 of 65 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,347 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 02:38 PM

Well, that explains the disc count.

They could still do as I suggested and put the movies out in a 2-disc set with a slip cover that will fit right in with the season sets.

#38 of 65 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,981 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 03:20 PM

I thought the 2nd tV movie was much better (and funnier) than the first!

#39 of 65 OFFLINE   jacktripper1

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor
Well, that explains the disc count.

They could still do as I suggested and put the movies out in a 2-disc set with a slip cover that will fit right in with the season sets.

ALONG with a dvd CASE that has both movies in it for people who didn't buy the complete series set.

#40 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 25 2008 - 05:22 AM

It looks like the updated Sony release that Dave posted at TSoD says that the complete series set won't include either TV-Movie. Also, the 1st B/W season may not be included in the set. The colorized version appears to likely be the 1st season format that's included in the complete set. The TSoD post is here

If the set does turn out to include the colorized 1st season version, I'm glad that I bought the individual sets for this series.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow