Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I Dream of Jeannie Complete Series

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   jacktripper1

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 21 2008 - 02:21 PM

Now as we know, Sony has a habit of turning season sets into complete series sets with bonus extra features after we had already bought previous season sets. So I was wondering..... Does this mean that after the fifth season of IDoJ is released... the complete series set will come out with the I Dream of Jeannie 15 Years Later, and I Still Dream of Jeannie TV movies as added bonus features? This seems to be completely unfair....

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 21 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well, actually they have only done that with one series: Seinfeld, their crown jewel. Neither the What's Happening!! nor Soap complete series sets had any bonus content. I doubt Jeannie will as well.

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted June 21 2008 - 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktripper1
Now as we know, Sony has a habit of turning season sets into complete series sets with bonus extra features after we had already bought previous season sets. So I was wondering..... Does this mean that after the fifth season of IDoJ is released... the complete series set will come out with the I Dream of Jeannie 15 Years Later, and I Still Dream of Jeannie TV movies as added bonus features? This seems to be completely unfair....

Sony hasn't announced a complete series set for IDOJ or any special features, so I wouldn't get upset about it just yet.

Paramount is the studio that is notorious for releasing complete series sets with bonus features not found on the individual releases (ie: I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith Show, and The Brady Bunch).

Actually, Sony should be commended for finishing IDOJ at all. They must have the largest catalog of unfinished series left in limbo for years.

Also, their new packaging for the complete series of What's Happening and Soap is horrible, so I'm glad I bought the individual releases.
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted June 21 2008 - 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor
Well, actually they have only done that with one series: Seinfeld, their crown jewel. Neither the What's Happening!! nor Soap complete series sets had any bonus content. I doubt Jeannie will as well.

"I Dream of Jeannie" is far different than "What's Happening" or "Soap".

All we're asking is for them to release what they already have in their vaults -- "I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later" and "I Still Dream of Jeannie". We're not asking for anything new.

Say what you will about them, the two TV-movies are part of the show and they should be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green
Paramount is the studio that is notorious for releasing complete series sets with bonus features not found on the individual releases (ie: I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith Show, and The Brady Bunch).

Paramount is including the TV-movie "Return to Mayberry" in a Complete Series set of "The Andy Griffith Show."

I figured Sony would do likewise with IDoJ: 15YL and ISDoJ. I can't see them releasing the two films separately.

Quote:
their new packaging for the complete series of What's Happening and Soap is horrible, so I'm glad I bought the individual releases.

I'd like to think that a show as legendary as "I Dream of Jeannie" would get better treatment than that. Posted Image

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   jacktripper1

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 22 2008 - 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor

You're forgetting about Bewitched, John. Bewitched will be coming out with all new special features. What do you think Ering Murphy was doing all that stuff for? I also contacted her awhile ago on Myspace and she told me that there would be special features in the CS set that was previously unseen on season sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I Love Lucy had the I Love Lucy Movie and a colorized episode. TAGS had a whole disc of new special material. And TBB also had a whole disc devoted to new special material.

#6 of 65 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 22 2008 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I Love Lucy had the I Love Lucy Movie and a colorized episode. TAGS had a whole disc of new special material. And TBB also had a whole disc devoted to new special material.
That's exactly what he's saying.

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted June 22 2008 - 03:38 PM

I think the only reason that we are completing IDoJ is b/c when they originally started releasing the seasons there was an IDoJ movie in the works, and has been ever since. I think that Sony kept releasing the sets b/c they thought the movie would eventually come out and would be a great tie in, but alas no movie as of yet which is great for the original fans as we now get to complete the series.

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted June 22 2008 - 05:13 PM

Quote:
You're forgetting about Bewitched, John. Bewitched will be coming out with all new special features. What do you think Ering Murphy was doing all that stuff for? I also contacted her awhile ago on Myspace and she told me that there would be special features in the CS set that was previously unseen on season sets.

Jack, Sony has not ever told us that they will be coming out with all new special features. Erin shot the stuff for the Complete Series set that was released in Japan. And not to discredit Erin, but she doesn't work at Sony and knowing how they are I can't imagine them including it. All I honestly see them doing is just packaging what we all ready have in addition to the Seasons 7 & 8 sets in one big most likely crappy package like "What's Happening".

Japan also received a featurette on the colorized discs about how they do the colorizing that we never got....

...but who knows? Maybe Sony will see the error of their ways when it comes down to finally releasing BW: The Complete Series....hopefully they'll just give us the Japanese set but Americanized.

Here is what the Japanese boxed set looks like:

Posted Image

According to the Sony Japan site (‰œ‚³‚Ü‚Í–‚—:ƒjƒ…[ƒX) that set also includes all the "Tabitha" spin off episodes and the BW movie with Nicole Kidman. I think that's awesome! The only thing missing is the "Tabitha and Adam and the Clown Family" cartoon from the 70s.

But back to IDOJ...I would hope they would also include the TV-movies, as bad as they were, and also the Jeannie cartoon from the 70s, as bad as it was....but this is all hopeful wishing....

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted June 23 2008 - 11:05 AM

Quote:

If Bewitched is getting a CS set, I think this bodes well for I Dream of Jeannie getting one too. Posted Image

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted June 23 2008 - 04:26 PM

I've been wanting to get this series for a long time but keep putting it off. I'd buy a complete series set only if it contains the first season in black/white, otherwise forget it. The TV movies would be interesting to see but they aren't a big concern of mine.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 04:26 AM

Don't count on a black and white first season to be included with the complete series set. Sony is trying to reach new fans for this series by including the 'bastardized' color version. I don't mean to be offending to anyone but when ity comes to classic television you don't mess around with colorizing the original black and white version of any movie or television series. It just takes something out of the production.

I can tell you that when I was introduced to a lot of these television shows, it was way back in the early to mid-70's and these black and white television shows are the only outlet that most of us, who remember these original version, can relate to and reminisce about our childhood. It brings back that time of innocence that has become lost in the race for cheap laughs and expensive production costs.

None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.

#12 of 65 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 07 2008 - 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.
Sure.

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 09:37 AM

Quote:

Untrue and unfair. In comparison with the 60s, what today's shows lack is naivete', not creativity.

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 10:21 AM

Quote:

Two Words: The Wire.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   jacktripper1

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 06:23 PM

Quote:

I REALLY haven't heard so much bs since my aunt told me a few weeks ago that Santa Claus is actually real. Honestly.... the lack of intelligences of some people.

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 11:15 AM

What are the chances that we'll see that snazzy looking Bewitched series set released stateside?

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 06:18 PM

Quote:
Don't count on a black and white first season to be included with the complete series set. Sony is trying to reach new fans for this series by including the 'bastardized' color version. I don't mean to be offending to anyone but when ity comes to classic television you don't mess around with colorizing the original black and white version of any movie or television series. It just takes something out of the production.

I can tell you that when I was introduced to a lot of these television shows, it was way back in the early to mid-70's and these black and white television shows are the only outlet that most of us, who remember these original version, can relate to and reminisce about our childhood. It brings back that time of innocence that has become lost in the race for cheap laughs and expensive production costs.

I ended up ordering the black and white version of Season 1 off Amazon, as well as Seasons 2,3 and 4, since they finally put it on sale. Usually they only put the colourized version on sale, so now I don't need to wait for the complete series. I love how b/w movies and TV shows look on DVD. I have always been used to B/W, since my family didn't get a Colour TV until I was 8. I love shows from all eras but just prefer more shows from the 60s and 70s because these are the ones I grew up with, whether in first run broadcast or syndication. Posted Image

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 04:00 PM

All right, the beans have spilled the cat out of the bag:
I Dream of Jeannie DVD news: Announcement for I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Posted Image

Now, that art is an exclusive, so please let's not repost it here or anywhere else!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 23 2008 - 04:23 PM

Good news for those who want the set, but that is the UGLIEST packaging I've ever seen. Posted Image Posted Image

God knows what the Bewitched set will look like.

Interesting they list the same disc count as the season sets total. If the 20 disc count is correct, these won't be the same discs from the season sets, as they'll have to be lumping more eps on at least some of the discs to make room for the movie.

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 08:12 PM

I think it's an interesting concept to have it in the bottle, especially with the right designed bottle, but it's just too bulky or inconvenient...

Now I gotta figure out what to do with all the season sets to get at least some money backPosted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow