What's new

What do people want in a "PDA"? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
PDAs are dead, long live the PDA. So I see from the decline of Palm and the rise of the iPhone. But as a PDA user, it leaves me baffled as to what people want, need, and how do I find the product I want.

Palm is on the decline because cell phones do enough. They are an adequate address book, MP3 player, and snapshot camera. They lack other features like notepads and 3rd-party apps, but the mass market seems to not mind.

And here comes the iPhone. It's not a normal smartphone. By all accounts the actual phone and AT&T service is mediocre. The new approach to voicemail and text messaging looked superb, but no one's mentioned visual voicemail since it launched so maybe it's of no consequence.

It's arguably the best iPod ever. With a phone and web browser in for bonus?

It's the best mobile web browser to date. That seems to cover for a great many sins

It's like a PDA, especially with the upcoming appStore. But it lacks fundamentals such as copy and paste, integrated To Do list, and system-wide search.

So what do people need from a digital data keeper? Does anyone want a full address book, or are phone numbers adequate? Does anyone want to manage to do lists (apple doesn't think so)? Or do they just want to listen to tunes and snapshots?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Other than what's on the iPhone now, I'd like a voice recorder for notes. I'm 99% sure I'll get it.
From time to time, I'd like a data space on the drive to replace flash drives or SD camera storage in a pinch.

The app store should provide everything people want in due time.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
AT&T obviously depends on where you live (and of course their 3G service remains to be seen in action). I have no complaints with AT&T service in New York City.

But where do you get the idea that the iPhone is a mediocre phone? It is certainly the best phone I've ever used, by far. The iPhone's so much better it seems silly even to compare it. One of many, many examples -- starting a conference call, or putting and retrieving calls from/to hold -- perfectly implemented, better than any other phone I've ever used. The address book is a pleasure to use etc., etc....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Various and consistent comments that the voice quality is average. Consumer Reports notes that voice quality is "fair". I've seen similar comments here and elsewhere. Nothing to say that it's a bad phone, but as a phone per se, for dialing and audio quality and reception and service, it's nothing special.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Can't argue with the audio quality statement -- Steve Jobs said that it is "much improved" in the 3G iPhone at WWDC -- so I guess he doesn't think it's all that great now if it can be much improved.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I use an AT&T Tilt, one of those PDA phones with MS Win Mobile on it. I use it to read my med books as well as "vital" medical references. To make it short, I use it for work. The IPhone is a great device and I will switch to it in a heartbeat if it does everything my Tilt does. But that my friends, maybe a good 5 years away.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why you're so pessimistic -- Epocrates and others announced iPhone medical apps including medical reference at the WWDC keynote click for Epocrates iPhone info

I really have a strong feeling that within a short period of time the iPhone will have overwhelming (mobile) developer mindshare, and any developers that avoid the iPhone will do so because they can't compete. (I saw a recent article about some GPS/map software developer who charges $12 per month subscription(!!) saying he will stay away from the iPhone -- no wonder because there will be heavy completion at a way lower one time price -- it will be impossible for his company to bilk iPhone users the way he can the gullible/trapped people on his current platform).

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
No, not really pessimistic, just not holding my breath I guess. Epocrates said that like a year ago so....and besides, Epocrates is only but a fraction of the medical stuff out there.
I suppose its also like trying to bring down my expectations so I can be surprised if it comes early.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks