Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted June 20 2008 - 03:18 AM

I know that there was some worry that this film might be put on hold in lieu of the disappointing Box Office results of Prince Caspian. But it looks like it's moving forward with Michael Apted at the helm as they've just cast Will Poulter (Son of Rambow) as Eustace.

Will Poulter Cast in Narnia 3 - ComingSoon.net

#2 of 84 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,329 posts

Posted June 20 2008 - 04:20 AM

I don't think this one was in danger. It's the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th books in the series that are if results of Caspian and Treader are poor.

#3 of 84 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 20 2008 - 07:41 AM

I'm hoping the much better story will pay off in a much better box office reception. (That, and a bump from a May release to a December release.)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 84 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 20 2008 - 08:45 AM

After watching Prince Caspian, I'm fairly certain that the omission of William Moseley (Peter Pevensie) and Anna Popplewell (Susan Pevensie) will only serve to benefit The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted November 17 2008 - 12:36 AM

Interesting article on the status of the film.

Jim Hill : Monday Mouse Watch : Waiting for the "Dawn"

#6 of 84 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 17 2008 - 04:44 AM

Interesting news about battling over the budget. Even at $140 million it'll be less expensive to make than either of the previous films. If it continues to be profitable I don't see why they would stop. The bump to December is a no brainer at this point, especially with Iron Man II tentatively scheduled for the same release date in May 2010.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 84 OFFLINE   Will_C

Will_C

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted November 17 2008 - 05:43 AM

Looking forward to possible future movies in the series, I can see The Silver Chair (Book 4) and The Last Battle (Final Book) being done well, but The Horse and His Boy (Book 5) and The Magician's Nephew (Book 6) are out of chronological order in the published series. So I'm wondering if they'll be skipped and perhaps filmed after The Last Battle, as a prequel (Bk 6) and a sequel (Bk 5) to the first movie, assuming the movies continue to make a good profit for the studio.
Rick Hunter
USMC Force Recon Scout Sniper
"If you run, you'll only die tired."

#8 of 84 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 17 2008 - 10:10 AM

I think a smaller budget may actually be beneficial to this movie if it will prevent them from going crazy with CG creatures. The book is much lighter on talking animals (there's basically only Reepicheep) and fantasy creatures then the others, and the crew of the Dawn Treader consists primarily of humans. A limited budget may just force the film makers to stay faithful to that aspect.

#9 of 84 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 08:30 AM

The movie made $419,000,000 worldwide what studio would be disappointed with those box office results? Some have said Mummy 3 didn't do well at the box office after taking in $392,000,00 worldwide. With Jet Li and Michele Yeo Universal knew Mummy 3 would be a real big in the international market. It would be a shock and big mistake if Narnia and the Mummy don't just keep turning out the hits. The movie made $419,000,000 worldwide what studio would be disappointed with those box office results? Some have said Mummy 3 didn't do well at the box office after taking in $392,000,000 worldwide. With Jet Li and Michell Yeo Universal knew Mummy 3 would be a real big in the international market. It would be a shock and big mistake if Narnia and the Mummy don't just keep turning out the hits.

#10 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 08:58 AM

Disappointing in the sense that the first made 745 M worldwide. And with a bigger budget, I'm sure the studio was at least hoping to match that of the first.

#11 of 84 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,321 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 21 2008 - 09:55 AM

I wouldn't mind a lower budget film at all, if it left more room for character stuff. Georgie Henley was head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the last two films, and Voyage of the Dawn Treader was told largely through Lucy's perspective. If Scifi Channel can shit out these F/X extravaganzas that look only moderately worse for $3-4 million, Voyage of the Dawn Treader could be made for $140 million.

#12 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 07:16 AM

FilmChat: Dawn Treader -- a taste of what is to come?

#13 of 84 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 10:25 AM

Yup, saw those pics on the Caspian BD. I wonder what we're seeing in that last pre-viz screenshot - dragon or sea serpent? Posted Image

#14 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,779 posts

Posted December 17 2008 - 10:50 AM

Some news on changes to the Dawn Treader shooting location: it looks like they will be shooting in Australia.

Narnia, Lantern, Break Shoot In Oz (December 17th 2008)

#15 of 84 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,321 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 17 2008 - 05:02 PM

I don't care where they film it, as long as they film it soon.

#16 of 84 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 06:52 PM

Yikes! Could this be due to lower than expected DVD sales of Prince Caspian?

Disney Pulls Out of Third Narnia Film - ComingSoon.net

#17 of 84 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted December 24 2008 - 12:18 AM

Fuck.

#18 of 84 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,642 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 24 2008 - 02:03 AM

I'm ambivalent. I love the Chronicles of Narnia and Dawn Treader was my childhood favorite -- I love this sort of creative exploration. But the film adaptations have, for me, lacked the strength and spark of the books; my enthusiasm for subsequent Narnia movies was waning.

#19 of 84 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,321 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 24 2008 - 05:06 AM

I still hope they find another studio to make the third one with, but I'm afraid of it ending up at Fox. Most of the Fox Warden releases have been less spectacular.

#20 of 84 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted December 24 2008 - 05:25 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. I enjoyed CASPIAN quite a bit on Blu-ray, and was looking forward to the third. The movie was the victim of bad timing. It's too bad they didn't release it this Christmas season. It would have probably cleaned up since there is no real competition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users