What's new

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I know that there was some worry that this film might be put on hold in lieu of the disappointing Box Office results of Prince Caspian. But it looks like it's moving forward with Michael Apted at the helm as they've just cast Will Poulter (Son of Rambow) as Eustace.

Will Poulter Cast in Narnia 3 - ComingSoon.net

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't think this one was in danger. It's the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th books in the series that are if results of Caspian and Treader are poor.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm hoping the much better story will pay off in a much better box office reception. (That, and a bump from a May release to a December release.)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
After watching Prince Caspian, I'm fairly certain that the omission of William Moseley (Peter Pevensie) and Anna Popplewell (Susan Pevensie) will only serve to benefit The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Interesting news about battling over the budget. Even at $140 million it'll be less expensive to make than either of the previous films.

If it continues to be profitable I don't see why they would stop.

The bump to December is a no brainer at this point, especially with Iron Man II tentatively scheduled for the same release date in May 2010.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Looking forward to possible future movies in the series, I can see The Silver Chair (Book 4) and The Last Battle (Final Book) being done well, but The Horse and His Boy (Book 5) and The Magician's Nephew (Book 6) are out of chronological order in the published series. So I'm wondering if they'll be skipped and perhaps filmed after The Last Battle, as a prequel (Bk 6) and a sequel (Bk 5) to the first movie, assuming the movies continue to make a good profit for the studio.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I think a smaller budget may actually be beneficial to this movie if it will prevent them from going crazy with CG creatures. The book is much lighter on talking animals (there's basically only Reepicheep) and fantasy creatures then the others, and the crew of the Dawn Treader consists primarily of humans. A limited budget may just force the film makers to stay faithful to that aspect.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The movie made $419,000,000 worldwide what studio would be disappointed with those box office results? Some have said Mummy 3 didn't do well at the box office after taking in $392,000,00 worldwide. With Jet Li and Michele Yeo Universal knew Mummy 3 would be a real big in the international market. It would be a shock and big mistake if Narnia and the Mummy don't just keep turning out the hits.

The movie made $419,000,000 worldwide what studio would be disappointed with those box office results? Some have said Mummy 3 didn't do well at the box office after taking in $392,000,000 worldwide. With Jet Li and Michell Yeo Universal knew Mummy 3 would be a real big in the international market. It would be a shock and big mistake if Narnia and the Mummy don't just keep turning out the hits.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Disappointing in the sense that the first made 745 M worldwide. And with a bigger budget, I'm sure the studio was at least hoping to match that of the first.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind a lower budget film at all, if it left more room for character stuff. Georgie Henley was head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the last two films, and Voyage of the Dawn Treader was told largely through Lucy's perspective. If Scifi Channel can shit out these F/X extravaganzas that look only moderately worse for $3-4 million, Voyage of the Dawn Treader could be made for $140 million.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Yup, saw those pics on the Caspian BD. I wonder what we're seeing in that last pre-viz screenshot - dragon or sea serpent?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm ambivalent. I love the Chronicles of Narnia and Dawn Treader was my childhood favorite -- I love this sort of creative exploration. But the film adaptations have, for me, lacked the strength and spark of the books; my enthusiasm for subsequent Narnia movies was waning.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still hope they find another studio to make the third one with, but I'm afraid of it ending up at Fox. Most of the Fox Warden releases have been less spectacular.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to hear this. I enjoyed CASPIAN quite a bit on Blu-ray, and was looking forward to the third. The movie was the victim of bad timing. It's too bad they didn't release it this Christmas season. It would have probably cleaned up since there is no real competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks