Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Toshiba DLP bulb failure 42HM66

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   hondaclf

hondaclf

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 09:04 AM

From what I've been reading online today after the repair guy showed me the broken bulb, this is not at all uncommon. I have seen too many postings saying that the bulb lasts about a year! One even called it a "DLP tax"(laughing on the inside, pissed off on the outside). The new bulbs cost $200-350! The TV new is about $800 online($1000 retail). Also on the Toshiba website is a note about the 2005 model DLP TV's that states Toshiba added a year to the warranty for those TV's due to reports of premature bulb failure and owners could get a "New and Improved" bulb if the original failed. That suggests that they expect the bulb to last at least 2 years, my 15 month old TV with a failed bulb seems to suggest that they didn't fix the problem! What is the point of buying a DLP TV for a few hundred less than LCD or Plasma if you have to spend $300 every year to keep it running? The TV was fine just an hour before I turned it on and it failed.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 02:35 PM

There's a flaw in your logic. If what you have posted is accurate, it would point to a problem with a specific projector bulb used by Toshiba, not with DLP in general. I have a rear-projection set (not DLP), and the bulb is rated for 8,000 hours, which equates to about four years.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 04:46 AM

The extra year warrantee is only extended to TVs with certain serial numbers. If you got a free bulb, you probably fall within the serial number range. I also had a bulb failure on my 73" Toshiba DLP Cinema Series set. I only had 50 hours on my bulb. That was almost two years ago. My set is still going strong and it gets a lot of use. I hope you have the same good luck with yours. Also, the bulb issue was discussed in this thread-->

http://www.hometheat....-good-buy.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users