-

Photo

WHV Press Release: L.A. Confidential Two-Disc Special Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,998 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 03:47 AM

“Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush!”
- Sid Hudgens LA Confidential

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL TWO-DISC
SPECIAL EDITION

New Regency’s Oscar®-Winning Tour-de-Force
Comes to DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi-Def™
September 23 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif., June 16, 2008 – Everything is suspect, everyone is for sale and nothing is what it seems. Word on the street is that on September 23, Warner Home Video will revisit 1950s Hollywood with New Regency’s intense film noir L.A. Confidential, to be digitally remastered and released as a Standard Definition Two-Disc Special Edition ($20.97 SRP) and single disc Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($28.99 SRP).

Kevin Spacey (American Beauty, The Usual Suspects), Russell Crowe, (Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind), Guy Pearce (Memento, Priscilla Queen of the Desert), Kim Basinger (Batman, I Dreamed of Africa) and Danny DeVito (Batman Returns, Erin Brockovich) star in L.A. Confidential which was directed by Curtis Hanson and based on James Ellroy’s “L.A. Quartet” series of novels. Nominated for seven Academy Awards,® including Best Picture and Best Director, the film won two Oscars® (Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress for Ms. Basinger). The evocative and sordid tale of Hollywood back in the day, about three cops, a call girl, a mysterious millionaire and a tabloid journalist, is rife with mystery, ambition, romance and humor. Chicago Sun-Times’ Roger Ebert called the film “seductive and beautiful, cynical and twisted -- one of the best films of the year.”

Special Features

Disc 1
Commentary by Andrew Sarris
Music Only Track
Trailers and TV Spots
Showest
Nite Owl Action
Hollywood
Theatrical Trailer
Soundtrack Promo

Disc 2
Whatever You Desire: Making L.A. Confidential
Sunlight and Shadow: The Visual Style of L.A. Confidential
A True Ensemble: The Cast of L.A. Confidential
L.A. Confidential: From Book to Screen
Off the Record
Photo Pitch
The L.A. of L.A. Confidential Hollywood Center Motel
Formosa Café
Sid Hudgen's Office
Victory Motel
Bidwell's Office
Nick's Liquor
Lynn Bracken's House
Frolic's Room
Pierce Patchett's House
Movie Premiere Pot Bust
Mrs. Leffert's House
Nite Owl Café
Navarette's Hole-up
Fitch House
City Hall
L.A. Confidential [2000 TV Pilot]

L.A. Confidential Two-Disc Special Edition
Street Date: September 23, 2008
Blu-ray™ Hi-Def
$28.99 SRP

Run Time: 138 Minutes; Rated R
16X9; Widescreen; Color

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 03:54 AM

The Sarris commentary is okay, but I was really hoping they'd get Ellroy to do one.

"When I wrote the book I pictured Bud as a big [bleep] like Sterling Hayden. Crowe's all right, but Hayden would kick his [bleep] [bleep] until he [bleep] [bleep] [bleep] and bled out his [bleep]."
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#3 of 42 ONLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,458 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 16 2008 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara
"When I wrote the book I pictured Bud as a big [bleep] like Sterling Hayden. Crowe's all right, but Hayden would kick his [bleep] [bleep] until he [bleep] [bleep] [bleep] and bled out his [bleep]."

Funny AND accurate. Posted Image
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 06:43 AM

That would've been the first DVD commentary to come in a plain brown wrapper!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,781 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 06:52 AM

Having worked on the production, I can say there were two scenes we filmed that were deleted from the movie.

One was a confrontation between Jack Vincennes and DA Ellis Lowe after Vincennes finds the dead body of the young actor at the hotel. The second was a post-passion conversation in bed between Exley and Lynn Bracken. It's possible that pieces of either scene might show up on the featurettes.

I should note that it was a very difficult shoot - moving around Los Angeles on location and trying to turn the clock backward by 45 years on a very limited budget. There are some great performances in the movie, but it was no picnic.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 16 2008 - 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara

Ha ha, he pretty much says that on the commentary to "Crimewave" found on the Film Noir Vol 4 colelction by warners.

I'll grab this release, love the movie and passed on the old one.

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 16 2008 - 09:13 AM

Can't wait to pick this one up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
Ha ha, he pretty much says that on the commentary to "Crimewave" found on the Film Noir Vol 4 colelction by warners.
If you think he's good on Crime Wave, listen to his commentary on Zodiac. He's in full James Ellroy mode on that. Posted Image

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 16 2008 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
If you think he's good on Crime Wave, listen to his commentary on Zodiac. He's in full James Ellroy mode on that. Posted Image

I have, goood stuff there too. I just finished reading BLACK DAHLIA, and am about to dip into the book leading into LA CONFIDENTIAL. This release should be a nice capper to reading the LA QUARTET. Posted Image

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 04:25 PM

I wonder why Warners didn't release this last year as a 10th Anniversary Edition?

Good thing the pilot wasn't picked up, otherwise, 24 wouldn't exist!

September is going to be one expensive month!

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted June 17 2008 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin EK
One was a confrontation between Jack Vincennes and DA Ellis Lowe after Vincennes finds the dead body of the young actor at the hotel. The second was a post-passion conversation in bed between Exley and Lynn Bracken.
Nice to know. Both those scenes sound pretty interesting as some of those elements (especially Vincennes' reaction to the kid getting killed) weren't made all that clear in the movie.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 09:01 AM

Was recently shown on Starz HD but at 1:78:1 ratio. Will be great to see in HD in its proper 2:35:1 ratio.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 02:24 PM

I KNEW holding off on buying this for six years would pay off in the end! (I NEVER EVER double dip.)

*does victory dance*

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Robert Fielder

Robert Fielder

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Danny DeVito (Batman Returns, Erin Brockovich)

Danny DeVito was in Erin Brockovich? I watched that recently and don't remember seeing him in it...

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,190 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 01:02 AM

DeVito's company had a hand in producing ERIN BROCKOVICH.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fielder
Danny DeVito was in Erin Brockovich? I watched that recently and don't remember seeing him in it...

He was the desk Erin worked at.

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 06:45 AM

I normally don't double dip but this one will be an exception. One of my favorites of all time and by being released in the Fall, it synchs up with my BD player purchase plans. Yes, an expensive September.

Oh, and "LA Confidential" was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar, IMHO.

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Richard Matich

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 09:14 AM

Wow!!! Its coming in September [does even bigger and more elaborate victory dance than the other guy]!!! I still agree that because of all that was involved [and risked] in its making that Titanic still should have gotten Best Picture for 1997. The commentary track by Sarris will be good but has he done any tracks for movies? I still wish that Ellory or Hanson had made a commentary track. THANK YOU WARNERS [AND GEORGE FELTINSTIEN] FOR A GREAT DVD. All the people that said Warners would let us down this year [Bonnie & Clyde, L.A. Conf, and B berkley 2, ETC]. HAAAAAAAAA! Posted Image Thanks WB.

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 09:18 AM

Press release sounds amazing and I can't believe the wealth of extras on this one!

Any art work available yet?

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit

• 377 posts
  • LocationStar Lake, NY

Posted June 18 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yay! One of my favorite crime movies. I was disappointed when this didn't show last year, but this year is just as good. Posted Image

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Harris
Oh, and "LA Confidential" was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar, IMHO.

You're not the only one who feels that way. Posted Image

Have there ever been any deleted scenes released for this film?
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow