Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LP to CD Software

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 15 2008 - 12:39 AM

I’d like some suggestion as to the best (or at least some very good) software for transferring my LP collection to CDs. I did a search on this forum, but I was either incompetent or the topic has not been discussed. Thanks
¡Time is not my master!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 02:29 AM

When I did this, which has been several years, I used CDSpinDoctor, which comes with Toast. The problem is, in the change from v1.5 to 2 they really dumbed it down by a lot of forced automation. I remember I seriously did not like v2, and kept 1.5 on my computer. Funny thing is, I had to keep Toast 5 on the computer as well, or SpinDoctor 1.5 wouldn't work with full features. I also use an iMic to capture, for better quality. BTW, I forgot that the current Toast (or at least 8) lets you pretty easily adjust volume, which is one of the features that was less convenient on the newer SpinDoctor.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 17 2008 - 12:34 AM

I've also used CD SpinDoctor for years to transfer my LP, cassette and MD recordings to the Mac.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 04:42 AM

Thanks John and Michael
¡Time is not my master!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 04:52 AM

I've captured the analog audio from a turntable via my receiver (phono preamp) using a stereo RCA-to-miniplug input to my sound card, and using the open-source (and free) Audacity software. Worked well after setting proper levels, etc. Then I exported the audio to aiff files (after setting markers to break it into individual tracks). From there I imported to iTunes and created/burned a CD and also could convert to mp3 as desired. I just had to do a little reading in the Audacity help files to figure some settings out. Once you have the raw audio you can do things a number of different ways from there.