What's new

What Titles Would You Like to see on Blu-Ray??? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think we all pretty much agree that several things need to happen to push Blu Ray to mainstream acceptance. One of those is a larger library of catalog titles. Here are just a few I would like to see. What are your thoughts?

John
===================

Silence of the Lambs
Fracture
All of the Star Trek films
Scarface
Aliens

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Alien 1-3
James Bonds
Indy Jones 1-3

that should help things ALOT :D

most importantly get rid of this horrid thing that is noise reduction/grain removal, better get that licked before the big boys hit ;)

-Gary

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here's my list:
* Some Disney Classic Animateds. This will start with "Sleeping Beauty" this Fall. Between October 2008 and October 2009 I suppose we'll have at least three. That should be enough to get the ball rolling.

* Some James Bond. I suppose we'll have to wait until the next James Bond movie is released to get these.

* Some Star Trek. We all know that we'll probably get all of these movies and all three seasons of TOS:Remastered during the calendar year 2009 as part of the promotion for the new Star Trek movie.

Once those three mainstream franchises start to hit Blu-ray, it will have "arrived" in the minds of the mainstream media moguls. Everything seems to be pointing to Fall 2009 (when profile 2.0 players will be available in abundance at reasonable prices) as the threshold point for the format.

After that we can anticipate getting some Star Wars!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Wow. I can't believe I forgot Pulp Fiction. I don't usually like to repurchase titles, but I already have for Pulp Fiction, and will gladly doit again when a decent Blu Ray version is released.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I've never really gotten into the Star Wars films, possibly because I didn't see any during my adolescent years. I bought Episode III - Revenge of the Sith because it looked phenomenal in the store. One thing about that franchise, the SD releases look as close to Blu-Ray as I have ever seen. I wish other film makers would adopt "Lucas like" quality standards. When Star Wars goes Blu, that will be enough to make me buy the complete catalog.

John

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
For this higher def medium it should be a no brainer that classic titles shot in 70mm would be great:

BEN-HUR
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
SOUND OF MUSIC
WEST SIDE STORY
OKLAHOMA!
MY FAIR LADY

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
LotR trilogy of course.

The Abyss. One of my all time favorites that never got a proper release on DVD.

I'd also like to see a properly framed Excalibur, but since it was still screwed up in HD-DVD, I won't be holding my breath.

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
I would love to see the following:
The Star Wars Saga,
The Exorcist (both versions via seamless branching)
Lawrence of Arabia
Apocalypse now
Indiana Jones
Brazil (C'mon Criterion)
Naked Lunch (See above) :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
* Kill Bill 1&2 (coming Sept 2008)
* X-Men 2 - and the first one too.
* The Island - science fiction in high def, mmm.
* Chronicles of Riddick (both films) - less mmm but ditto.
* Moulin Rouge - such a visually rich film.
* Battlestar Galactica (new series)
* Minority Report
* A.I Artificial Intelligence
* Serenity - (coming in October) the disappointing sequel to the Firefly tv series is still worth owning.
* Leon (The Professional)
* La Femme Nikita (the movie)
* The Life Aquatic - the best film about middle age, ever. Ever!
* Mulholland Drive
* My Super Ex-Girlfriend - ok so I like Uma, what can I say. It was a funny movie.
* the first two Bourne Identity movies, maybe.

Oh, also: the entire *Buffy the Vampire Slayer* tv series. But I'd like them to release it in one fell swoop, a complete series set, rather than season by season (especially since everyone already has the entire series on DVD...won't have the patience to get it bit by bit).

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Any film directed by Terrence Malick, but particularly The New World.

Other than that, mainly looking forward to films I've enjoyed but haven't managed, for whatever reason, to pick up on DVD. I doubt I will rebuy a lot of films I already have on DVD, other than a select few (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, etc.).

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Lord of the Rings EE, of course.

Far from the Madding Crowd. But hey, I've yet to see that on standard def, so...

Babe :)

High production values, costumes, sets, and I'm there.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

You include this, but not Royal Tenenbaums? :D Well, ok, that one's not so much about middle age... :P

I'll just let others do the lists. Too many to want. :D

I'd say though if we're talking about titles *we* want that would actually also help mainstream adoption, then some of the ones listed so far probably won't help, including The Life Aquatic. ;) :P

BTW, did someone mention the Godfather Trilogy already? :P

_Man_

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Practically anything but the garbage currently being released. E.g. which genius think that the disasterous remake of Rollerball merits release before other items in the back catalogue?

Okay, things I'd personally like released:

(1) Citizen Kane
(2) LOTR
(3) Shrek 1 & 2
(4) The Big Country (and in a decently restored print)
(5) Star Wars (to stop endless threads about why this wretched thing isn't released - and when it is, we can guarantee pages of bleats about how some fanboy's life is permanently ruined because the frame is cut by 0.00000001% or something similarly vital)
(6) The Godfather 1 & 2
(7) The Incredibles
(8) The key films by Ozu [though I doubt there would be a great improvement since the film stock is generally poor]
(9) The key films by Kurosawa
(10) The key films by Ingmar Bergman

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Well I figure, if I want to see The Royal Tenenbaums, I'll just read a book by John Irving. Ba-bing! Really, I just figured, Life Aquatic has more detailed sets and detailed visuals (including all the little sea creatures), so I want that in high-def more than I want, say, Ben Stiller in high-def.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The Deep
Prophecy('79)
A Little Romance
Jaws 2
The Seven Year Itch
Logans Run
The Last Of The Mohicans
The Rocketeer
Who'll Stop The Rain
The Brink's Job
Arthur
The Year Of Living Dangerously
Barabrella

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
What the hell, I'll throw out some titles that haven't been mentioned yet.

Airplane
Chinatown
Clash of the Titans
Evil Dead
Heathers
Kurosawa titles
Mist, The
National Lampoon's Vacation
Nightmare on Elm Street, A
Lady from Shanghai, The
Point Blank
Serigio Leone titles
Strange Brew
Taxi Driver

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Excellent point. That may also explain why we are seeing some of the current releases. Mainstream appeal trumping quality productions.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks