Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE HAPPENING Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

#1 of 171 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,633 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 11 2008 - 05:26 AM

Review is up at THR. Not great. It also contains what I would consider spoilers considering the cause/origin of the "Happening", so click at your own risk.

The Hollywood Reporter

Also at Variety. Similar opinion, similar spoilers. Again, click at your own risk.

The Happening Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie The Happening

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#2 of 171 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 11:49 AM

A friend of mine caught the press screening today. He said it fell into the 'so bad it's almost good' category. I am soooo there on Friday after work! Posted Image

#3 of 171 OFFLINE   taco

taco

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 03:06 PM

Currently 38% with 8 reviews at rottentomatoes.com
Not surprised really.

#4 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 11 2008 - 03:16 PM

Like any movie that I have interest in, I'll see this regardless of reviews. One thing that gives me some hope is that I think Shyamalan is probably the most polarizing director working today. From Unbreakable forward, I've seen or heard negative reviews from all types of people (legitimate critics, guys on messages boards and co-workers) of all of his movies so I'm hoping that I'll end up digging this despite the negative reviews.

#5 of 171 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,883 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 12 2008 - 12:03 AM

This may be his "best" film ever. Just wait until those Rifftrax fellas get a hold of this one. Im really looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't bad/boring. Bad/funny is a different animal.

A reviewer who reports for ABC news, David Bloustein, just gave it a 1/5. "Is this the same guy who directed Sixth Sense?"

Damn. Just. Damn. This is going to be hilarious!!
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 171 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 03:21 AM

Do we at least get another brilliant score by James Newton Howard? His scores to M Night's films are among his absolute best.

#7 of 171 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,883 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 03:32 AM

To me, the music featured during the trailer featuring a bit of the train scene just didn't sound like it belonged. I was scratching my head. It was pleasant enough music though....
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 04:32 AM

Review: "The Happening" - Dark Horizons

Ouch! I have already my ticket for friday!

#9 of 171 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 04:42 AM

I have had some interest in this movie for a while but the more clips I see the more I wonder. Something just seems...off. Specifically, I saw a clip last night on the late night talk shows where Wahlberg is leading a small group of people through a field. In the background, you hear gunshots and you get some reaction from different people in the group (not spoilered because I am not adding any detail about what is actually going on). The scene just didn't come off genuine to me, maybe more because of Zooey Deschanel's performance but also in part because of Wahlberg. I don't let reviews keep me from seeing something I want to see, but my expectations have seriously dropped.

#10 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 12 2008 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
To me, the music featured during the trailer featuring a bit of the train scene just didn't sound like it belonged.
You can't judge the music or its placement based on the trailer. The music could be from another part of the movie and just used randomly in the trailer or it may be music from another movie that's just being used in the trailer.

#11 of 171 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 05:53 AM

Did Shyamalan write this story too? maybe he needs to try something that he doesn't write. He's an amazing director, IMO. Read it was possibly worse than Lady in the Water. I don't want to witness that, if it's even possible.

#12 of 171 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,202 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 12 2008 - 06:12 AM

he is a doing the last airbender, not his own story so that might do better.

did anyone see the clip Letterman showed last night.

it was um, silly out of context of the film.

there was a scene with Wahlberg and an older woman and she was yelling at him.
he has this wide eye look on his face and he comes off just sounding silly and the woman just was off too.

also the scene seemed to be shot with a wide lense and
it was sort of a close shot of both of their faces and it almost was like a "wall-eye" look.

think the scene from Hot Shots whenever we saw from "wall eye's" point of view.

I normally don't let myself judge from trailers and clips, i just don't feel good here.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 171 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 12 2008 - 06:12 AM

The wife wants to see this so I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I really like Sixth Sense, loved Unbreakable, liked Signs, and was so-so about The Village. I never did see Lady In The Water after reading the abysmal reviews. I was hoping The Happening would improve on his last few films, but it looks like that won't happen.

#14 of 171 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 09:16 AM

is this Night's 1st R movie?

#15 of 171 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,883 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
You can't judge the music or its placement based on the trailer. The music could be from another part of the movie and just used randomly in the trailer or it may be music from another movie that's just being used in the trailer.
I suppose that's possible. I guess I'll find out Saturday afternoon...maybe....erm, unless I chicken out on this one and see Ironman instead.

#16 of 171 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 03:26 PM

I really hope this movie is better than the current RottenTomatoes score indicates (6 fresh, 30 rotten). I like all the Shyamalan movies that I've seen (only missed LitW) so I'm expecting The Happening to be good. He's definitely one of my favorite new directors of the last 10 years.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#17 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 10:40 PM

Capone loooooovvveeessss M. Night's THE HAPPENING! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

#18 of 171 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,883 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi
My God. I was going to see this for laughs but Capone sucked the fun out of the room. This really is a BAD (B.A.D.) movie!

#19 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 11:40 PM

I have my ticket for tonight and after all these reviews, I'm considering not to go! Posted Image

#20 of 171 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,858 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 13 2008 - 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi
I have my ticket for tonight and after all these reviews, I'm considering not to go! Posted Image
I can't list the number of films that were panned by the reviewers that I personally enjoyed despite their negativity. Maybe, I'm just a simple-minded film lover, but at times, my taste in film is quite different than those reviewers. However, with that being said, buyer beware.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow