Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tim Russert died

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,893 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 13 2008 - 07:41 AM

Tim Russert had a heart attack and died while recording a news piece at NBC.

TIM RUSSERT DIES FROM APPARENT HEART ATTACK - New York Post

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 07:53 AM

Posted Image

Rest in peace, Tim.

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 13 2008 - 08:11 AM

I'm stunned. I loved Big Russ & Me. Never thought Big Russ would outlive his son. Posted Image R.I.P

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 13 2008 - 08:17 AM

Very sad news indeed and a death that makes one questions his own mortality.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 08:28 AM

Wow, that really is the kind of thing that will make you question your mortality. I always admired how he came up from the rust belt, went to Cleveland Marshall School of Law and from there on to far bigger things. He'll be missed.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 08:30 AM

Wow!

I saw him last fall "interviewing" Stephen Colbert at GW University. I really enjoyed watching him play it straight to Stephen's faux pundit. Always good when a journalist doesn't take himself too seriously.

#7 of 35 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 13 2008 - 08:43 AM

Even knowing that he was a big guy, this is shocking. So full of life on MSNBC even a couple days ago. Meet the Press is a fixture of my week, and from within the journalism circles I walked in the last couple years, you'd never hear a bad thing about him.

Tim Russert loved his family, his career, his hometown and his home team. NBC's Washington Bureau has lost perhaps the best chief it ever had.

RIPPosted Image

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit

• 377 posts
  • LocationStar Lake, NY

Posted June 13 2008 - 09:05 AM

He was one of the best newsmen that was left on TV. I always liked his work modding political debates. RIP

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 09:05 AM

Having lost my father-in-law last year at a similar age and situation - that is collapse at work when appearing to be find the day before, the moment before, etc, and having his Father still be alive and well - this was shocking and saddening news to hear.

I too was a big fan of Mr. Russert and enjoyed his work on TV and his books immensely. I fondly recall the white board and dry erase marker tallies of the electoral votes in Presidential elections...

My thoughts and prays are with his family, colleagues and friends.

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 09:21 AM

So very sad. Election night coverage will never be the same without Tim and his analysis using his white board.

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 10:28 AM

Meet the Press is a staple of Sunday morning for me. Even though generally watched it live I alsways DVRed it just in case I got up late.

RIP Mr Russert you will be missed.

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Chris Souders

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 10:30 AM

Tim was a great journalist, he'll be missed.
I read that he just got back from Italy which always throws the possibility of a pulmonary embolism as the cause of death. We don't know much details, but if Tim suddenly collapsed as the first symptom of his problem, it was not a heart attack but sudden cardiac arrest, which is usually an arrythmia or PE.
Nevertheless, it's a wake up call to not ignore or minimize symptoms if they occur (I'm not saying that's what happened here)...

Chris

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,575 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 10:53 AM

Maybe the only decent political reporter around. I admired him greatly. This really sucks.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 10:55 AM

I'll echo what has been said already: One of the best. He was always a joy to watch because he was always excited to talk politics and his interest was contagious. He was also as neutral as they come, able to grill right and left alike with great intensity but always with respect and always with decorum lacking in the more popular dog and pony shows on TV. His was an old-school style of journalism that will be sorely missed.

Godspeed.

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 11:06 AM

My favorite Tim Russert comment is that he considered himself the custodian of Meet the Press. Now the custodianship will pass to another.

I think that the latest measure of how highly regarded he was in political circles, was his statement after the North Carolina and Indiana primaries, that “it was all over”.

Out of all the pundits and pols saying that Obama had wrapped it up, Russert’s comment was the one to which the Clinton campaign reacted. Everyone knew he would not make such a statement without due consideration.
¡Time is not my master!

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Very sad news indeed and a death that makes one questions his own mortality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtEP
Wow, that really is the kind of thing that will make you question your mortality.
Definitely, I felt the same way. One minute you're sitting at your desk at work and the next... boom -- just like that. Yikes.

--
H

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 11:33 AM

It is because of the great respect folks had for Russert, that this....

Quote:
"We now know who the Democratic nominee is going to be, and no one is going to dispute it." (May 6, 2008)

.....had authority/finality.

RIP.

Oops, Lew beat me.

Here's the clip...

YouTube - Tim Russert: We now know who the Democratic nominee will be

#18 of 35 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 13 2008 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Souders
I read that he just got back from Italy which always throws the possibility of a pulmonary embolism as the cause of death. We don't know much details, but if Tim suddenly collapsed as the first symptom of his problem, it was not a heart attack but sudden cardiac arrest, which is usually an arrythmia or PE.
His doctor was on MSNBC and said he'd had an enlarged heart and a history of corony artery disease. My father has have 70-90 percent clots twice in his life and thank God they caught it in time in both situations. Russert was the same age he is...Posted Image

Tim Russert had just returned from a trip to Rome with his family, a graduation present for his son who'd just finished a degree at Boston College. Just heartbreaking.

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 01:09 PM

And since no one yet has mentioned it, my favorite Tim Russert interview was the now famous one with David Duke back when he was running for governor of Louisiana. When Duke claimed that he was not ruining on race, but on the State’s economy, Russert just asked him to name the top three employers in the State.

Duke was not able to do so and was never again a serious contender.
¡Time is not my master!

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 13 2008 - 02:32 PM

this has een a terrible year.
facebook.com/whotony

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow