What's new

What is the truth for PS3 and SACD ? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Have an opportunity to upgrade from a 40GB to a 80GB PS3 = SACD. Considering it.

I am reading that "most" HDMI 1.3 AVRs will not accept the PS3 multichannel PCM output over HDMI and give the same SQ as a regular SACD player. But they are OK for the SACD in stereo. Is this true?

For instance, I read the Onkyo 605 will work fine, but the Denon 3808 would not. The 3808 would work if/when the PS3 put out DSD over HDMI.

I'm very confused. Thanks for any clarification.

The Seventh Taylor

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven H. Taylor

Most if not all HDMI 1.3 AVRs will accept multichannel PCM over HDMI. In fact I believe it's required by v1.3 of the standard. Although the DSD is converted to PCM, the sound quality will be really close to the original signal, provided you're using 24-bit, 176.4-kHz 5.1-channel audio.

The Onkyo 605 will only accept the PCM, not DSD. The Denon AVR-3808 will accept either, but PS3 will only supply PCM, not DSD over PCM. So, currently both are equally suited for SACD.

If you want to be future-proof, hoping that PS3 will output DSD one day after some future upgrade (our you're considering getting a dedicated SACD player with HDMI output) then take one with DSD input. Otherwise it doesn't matter much.

For more info check the FAQ at PS3SACD.com (sorry, I'm not permitted to post URLs yet).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Thanks. Actually, that site, although very informative, gave rise to my "big" confusion. And that is why the Denon 3808 didn't seem to be "suitable" for the PS3 SACD multichannel PCM output, yet some of the lower-priced models such as Onkyo 605 were. Maybe it was just the way it was worded, or my interpretation...I guess the writer meant the DSD-capable AVRs were also suitable, which is what I had thought before I read that article.

The Seventh Taylor

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven H. Taylor
The first list is of receivers that support multichannel PCM but not DSD, the second list of AVRs that support both.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Ummm, looks like I'm screwed anyway. I had no idea the MGS4/80GB PS3 package would be so popular! They are already hard to get and are selling for a decent premium in some places. I guess lots were waiting for the MGS4 release. I know nothing about games, only use the PS3 for BD. So my "trade" to somebody who was going to get a 40GB PS3 (and me get the 80) likely won't happen now, don't think they will wait. I did not even seen the unbundled 80GB systems at places I went today...actually, not even in the last week since I started looking. The bundled unit does (did!) look like a great value for gamers, least in Canada compared to the 40GB price.

Thanks for your clarification anyway though.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I'm not sure about Canada, but a lot of Best Buys here in the states just got in a bunch of 40 and 80 gig systems. I just picked up the 40 gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks