What's new

Popeye, Vol 3 30 SEP 2008 (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Via Cartoon brew, vol. 3 will be out 30 September 2008. With the remaining black and white Fleisher toons, including you’re a Sap, Mr. Jap and Scrap the Japs, while classicflix states that they will probably be withheld for political correctness.
Hopefully that will not be the case, these sets have been done so well that I hope that the true showing of the art comes thru, and also gives me hope that one day WB will do right By Tom and Jerry’s theatrical run of Toons in the same manner

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Isn't it bizarre to ban things because some tiny minority might be offended? This is all a part of history. It's understandable that Japanese people were portrayed that way after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The censorship to me is much more offensive than the silly drawings and name calling.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Maybe they'll be "from the vault" like on the Walt Disney Treasures discs? WB should at least offer a mail-in DVD that has the two omitted cartoons (and perhaps joined with other un-PC shorts).

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
From the discussion we've been having in the TV forum, 32 B&W cartoons were made between 1941-1943. So if no color Popeyes are included, then this set should have all the "potentially offensive" cartoons.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It looks as if they will not be included since there were 34 cartoons produced during that period of time (1941-1943) and they announced there are 32 cartoons in the collection.

Since WB has not listed the contents of the volume, hopefully they will be placed on there as a "from the vault" or the information is wrong, either mine or theirs.

If this is as good as the other two volumes, I will certainly pick it up but will let my disappointment known that it did not contain the two cartoon. While not PC, they are a piece of history that we should not ignore. The cartoons tell exactly what the country was thinking at the time and those thoughts brought us to this time, either good or bad.

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
well they may just be leaving out the last 2 cartoons of 1940 kind of like they did on volume 1. volume 1 (1933-1938) included the first 4 cartoons of 1938 and volume 2 is picking up, in 1938, right where volume 1 left off. jerry beck says all cartoons on volume 3 are uncut and uncensored....so there must have been something censored once to be presented uncensored.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I thought that originally, but it was pointed out that the last two cartoons made in 1943 were the first two color Popeye cartoons by Famous Studios, so the final B&W cartoon would be a logical point for the set to end.

And IIRC, the original plan was for the remaining B&W cartoons to be released in a four-disc set. Instead, we're getting two two-disc sets.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I hope we get all the cartoons. This PC thing is getting wildly out of control, and things ought to be kept in their proper historical perspective when watching old 'stereotype' films like these.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
ClassicFlix listed two COLOR cartoons in their "chronology"...

(1943)

* Her Honor the Mare
* The Marry-Go-Round

THAT is the reason why their speculative 'list' does not add up. Fear not, all remaining black & white Popeye cartoons will indeed be released on this next volume! (including the two they assumed omitted in their blog post)

The B&W series ended officially with the 1943 Famous Studio cartoon, "Cartoons Ain't Human".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I hope you are right. I still relish my Loony Tunes laserdisc collection that has Bugs Nips the Nips. Not at all PC, but very funny.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
This makes sense to me and after rereading the press releases, they all have been worded quite clearly in that vol. 3 will contain the rest of the black and white shorts - so I can't imagine how WB could have made it any clearer. I'm really looking forward to this and the wartime Three Stooges set.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Great news! The Volume 1 set is my favourite cartoon box set after Universal's Woody Woodpecker Collections. I don't recall seeing these theatrical shorts before but I am loving them. I'm very glad there is a short time span between Vol.s 2 and 3. Warners did a great job on Vol. 1.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

If you enjoy the wartime cartoons... just wait 'till you see what's in store with the upcoming Looney Tunes Golden Collection! ;)

The Fleischer Popeye series in general is not politically correct and has even in past volumes, included cartoons with racial content, ethnic stereotypes, etc. It's quite clear that Warner's have been aiming high with these collector sets and it's been stated from the day of announcement that ALL these films would be released, uncut and uncensored.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hi Marco,
Not to veer too far off topic, but what is happening with the next Looney Tunes Golden Collection? I thought that series' producers had an aversion to releasing controversial material...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i would like to know what is going on with Looney Tunes myself, by the way over at GAC forum WB has some kind of survey going on as to what you would like to see released as a set next, the beauty of it is there is a place at the bottom of the survey to basically sound off, i know that some other on here have the same feeling i have, towards the MGM toons, for every thing WB has done right, they have put the MGM toons on the back burner, the tom and jerrys were treated abysmally, droop got a release, not perfect but workable, while the rest sit in a vault somewhere, i just ask that hopefully, they can treat the MGM toons in the same fashion as some of us have discussed.

I am looking forward to this Popeye set, and hope by spring we will be hearing about vol 4?, now if Paramount would get off of its butt and do something with Puppettoons and Betty Boop!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks