Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Making a "bootleg tape" on a Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,165 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 11 2008 - 09:34 AM

I found the unwatched, unloved 2007 show The Next Great American Band to be fantastic and was very disappointed when it fizzled and no album made for the winners, The Clark Brothers. Going on a year later, and having a craving for the Clark Brothers, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I found on YouTube were posted nearly all of their performances. With an older version of WireTap Pro, bought at the last MacHeist, I recorded all the songs. Tedious, but easy.

One at a time, I dragged the audio files into GarageBand and use it to trim the songs. I used the export to iTunes feature to send them directly to iTunes with a 256 kbps VBR rate. GarageBand was very beneficial, as it automatically normalizes the tracks during export, drastically improving the sound compared to the straight recording.

After exporting all the songs to iTunes, I edited their info to have the right artist, track name, and track number. I copied a photo of the group from their MySpace page and pasted it as the album art. A few hours later, I've got a 14-track quasi-bootleg, semi-live album of a band that I hope will soon have a real album for me to buy.

With this process, the only change I'd make is to find a better audio editor. GarageBand is adequate, and its auto-normalization and integration with iTunes is great. But it's somewhat clumsy for basic audio-file editing. Beyond that, creating a decent-quality "CD" from online sources is straight forward.

#2 of 11 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted June 11 2008 - 05:33 PM

I have just started to work with Garage Band and didn't even know you could edit audio files with it.

I am shocked to hear that The Clark Brothers didn't get a record deal out of their win on The Next Great American Band. They were on American Idol so I thought they must be doing something with someone. They really are a good band. I would love to see what you came up with.

Sorry but I don't know of any other editing programs to use.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#3 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,834 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 08:17 PM

The only two programs that come to mind are Audio Hijack
and TapeDeck.

Just not certain that these will be the right programs for you.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,165 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 10:19 PM

Ron - the latest MacHeist has SoundStudio in it, which looks like just the right tool for editing. And the newest WireTap Studio or Audio Hijack would be good too. But I don't want to spend any more $$ for these modest efforts. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Clack
I have just started to work with Garage Band and didn't even know you could edit audio files with it.

I am shocked to hear that The Clark Brothers didn't get a record deal out of their win on The Next Great American Band. They were on American Idol so I thought they must be doing something with someone. They really are a good band. I would love to see what you came up with.

Sorry but I don't know of any other editing programs to use.
Simply drag in an audio file and it becomes its own track. Delete any other tracks from the composition, so it's alone. Then click (or double click?) to open the track editor at the bottom of the window. There you can do basic trimming. You can also do some fading with the master volume control -- I used that on one track to get a better end from the live audience applause.

I don't watch Idol, so I didn't see them there. I'll check YouTube for a clip. I heard something about them being on Nashville Star but I don't watch that show either Posted Image

But no, there has been nothing from NGAB so far. Maybe it takes 8+ months for a TV-show album to be made? But my wife, who's a reality TV fan, tells me it completely tanked and there is no second season. Posted Image I think they're working on an album, maybe it will be through the efforts of the NGAB people. I hope they get something out. The Clark Brothers knocked me out -- I would love to see them in concert. Ah, found Idol's clip. Their "Little Light" song was their audition song for NGAB and seems to have become their "single". It's my second favorite from them so far.

#5 of 11 David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 11:13 PM

Try Fission. It's an audio editor made by the same company that makes Audio Hijack.
David Rubenstein
My Theater: http://www.hometheat...ment/28664.html

#6 of 11 Joe Casey

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 12:45 AM

Audacity is great and free.
Q

#7 of 11 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 02:27 AM

Amadeus Pro should fit the bill quite nicely, too. I got a copy through MacHeist, I believe, and it helped me out when Audacity just didn't allow me to do what I needed to.

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#8 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,618 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 13 2008 - 03:18 AM

I use Audacity but I really want to get the new version of Adobe Soundbooth.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#9 of 11 MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted June 14 2008 - 12:26 PM

I have a somewhat related question-

I have some CDs that I recorded from LPs, and it was too much of a pain at the time to sit there and make chapter marks for each song, so I'm wondering if there's a function in either iTunes or GarageBand that will let me import the contents of the CDs, split the tracks at the appropriate points and burn them back to CD?

I just got a new MacBook and I haven't really used iTunes or GarageBand for anything yet. I tried searching in the 'help' section for both, but it didn't mention anything like that (iTunes said something about joining tracks, but not splitting them).
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#10 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,165 posts

Posted June 14 2008 - 11:18 PM

It seems the Audacity program suggested earlier will do this. Splitting recordings into separate tracks - Audacity Wiki

#11 of 11 MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted June 15 2008 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info, Dave. Posted Image

Strange that there's no track-splitting function in either iTunes or GarageBand. Oh well!
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays