Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any word on Popeye?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 04:04 AM

So the second Popeye set is coming out soon, right? I seem to recall that the first set came out around this time last year. Any advance word on the set? Any details at all? After the first amazing set, I'm jonesin' for my one-eyed runt fix.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 04:17 AM

Here's a couple of news items on the set from TVShowsonDVD.com.

Popeye Volume 2 Extras

Popeye Press Release

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 04:38 AM

heh - look at that, I was just about dead on the money for release date without even looking! Posted Image

Man - I think I remember Popeye and Friends from when I was a kid. Cant remember if it was any good, however. Being a kid with no discriminating taste, I probably didnt care much back then.

***edit***
Here's another question: Does anyone know if Best Buy is going to do another tin edition like the first one had?

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 05:53 AM

ive been wondering about the best buy tin for this set too, but i dont know anything yet. this set is only 2 discs instead of 4, but i dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not. some news i have heard about vol. 3 tho...jerry beck was on an internet radio show last week and confirmed that popeye vol. 3 will be out before the end of the year, probably november or december. edit: so i was off a little bit..lol vol 3 & popeye & friends vol. 2 are coming in september

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 06:07 PM

Very nice cover art for vol. 3. Though I'm a bit nervous to read that the set will consist of:
Not quite sure what this means as the box art states; "32 Theatrical Shorts on 2 Discs" but according to imdb (admittedly not the last word on accurate info but still...) there were only 24 Popeye shorts produced between 1941-1943 - which includes the "problem" Popeyes such as "Seein' Red, White, & Blue" and "You're a Sap, Mr. Jap."

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 03:55 AM

According to the filmography at the official Popeye website, 34 shorts were made between 1941 and 1943.

Which is not a good sign for the release of You're a Sap, Mr. Jap and Seein' Red, White 'n' Blue.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 04:58 AM

There were 2 color shorts made in 1943, so those are the ones being excluded.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted June 12 2008 - 06:16 AM

If this set is wrapping up the B&W cartoons, then that explains the discrepancy. Looking good so far. Posted Image

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 14 2008 - 12:31 AM

I'll have the official list of shorts posted today, and yes...You're a Sap, Mr. Jap and Seein' Red, White 'n' Blue are included.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted June 14 2008 - 05:18 PM

Major kudos to Warner Brothers for having the guts to release all the shorts without censorship!! Thank them with your wallet!

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 15 2008 - 11:10 AM

If you check the upcoming releases on TV Shows on DVD you would notice that the second volume comes out this Tuesday ... it was reported on a long time ago by TVShowsonDVD.com. Volume 3 has already been announced.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 15 2008 - 02:27 PM

To be clear on the authorized Popeye releases:

Popeye the Sailor Vol. 1 (4-disc set) has been out a while.

This Tuesday sees Popeye the Sailor Vol. 2 (2-disc set), AND Popeye and Friends Vol. 1 (single disc).

Sept. 30th sees Popeye the Sailor Vol. 3 (2-disc set), AND Popeye and Friends Vol. 2 (single disc).

The releases that are "...the Sailor" are historical releases going back to the beginning of the black and white theatrical shorts, and releasing them in "archive format", in order, going forward. The 3rd volume completes the black and white years, so the eventual 4th volume will begin color shorts from the end of 1943 and go onward from there. These are aimed at serious fans and collectors, and contain bonus material (extras).

The "...and Friends" releases are single-disc, less expense, color cartoons taken from the 1978 "The All-New Popeye Hour" series (Vol. 1) and the 1987 "Popeye and Son" series (Vol. 2). These are aimed at casual fans and families. There are no extras on these. Warner hopes serious collectors grab them, too, of course! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 03:07 PM

Stockers tonight say "no tin" ...despite the Volume One tin being pictured in yesterday's (Sunday) Weekly Best Buy Ad booklets...depicting Volume Two's release 6/17. Posted Image
Pay no attention to that cat behind the curtain!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,530 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 08:45 PM

I have some information that I am going to post elsewhere on
the forum this morning but thought since this thread already
exists I'd post it here as well...

Notice regarding Popeye the Sailor 1938-1940 Volume 2, Disc 1

Warner Home Video is advising consumers who purchased Popeye the Sailor 1938-1940 Volume 2 DVD that two shorts on Disc 1 have an alternate opening credits sequence.

For any consumer who wants to have disc 1 replaced with the original opening credits sequence, please contact Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937 so that a self-addressed stamped
envelope can be sent to you for return of your current disc. Please note that the replacement discs will be sent to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 10:16 PM

Wow, that's what I call a fast response! The discs haven't even been released yet!! Kudos to WHV for correcting a minor oversight and I can't wait to pick up this collection this afternoon!

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 16 2008 - 11:17 PM

Yup, Warner sent us the same info, and I'm posting it as news later this morning. They asked us to hold it until today for obvious reasons (today is the day the item streets). And my personal experience is that the ladies who answer that number are among the nicest customer service reps you'll ever have a reason to talk to. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 11:00 AM

This is exactly my experience with them also. Very courteous and efficient.