Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Highlights of Worldwide Developer Conference 2008 Keynote 6/9/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#21 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:34 AM

Looking at the Apple web site, looks like they've updated the calendar app to use the color-coded categories as found in iCal. Nice.

But shockingly, still no syncing of Notes, and there still doesn't appear to be any ToDo/Task support. These are two of the most requested features, and they're absolutely basic for a smartphone. Apple's going to get raked over the coals for continuing to leave these out.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#22 of 82 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,113 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
One rudimentary phone item is still missing voice command capability, my 3 year old motorola v3 razor can do it, why can't the Iphone?
Do any "smartphones" have this feature? I remember when the Palm Treos came out: they couldn't do bluetooth voice dialing even though every $100 cellphone could do it. It's a very odd weakness for a high-end phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S
...and there still doesn't appear to be any ToDo/Task support. These are two of the most requested features, and they're absolutely basic for a smartphone. Apple's going to get raked over the coals for continuing to leave these out.
There will be countless third-party ToDo apps when the AppStore launches.

#23 of 82 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Dave,

You are right! Forgot about that. Still no voice dialing.

I do think that with the SDK capability that it will not be long
until there is a third party application that will enable voice
dialing. There was such an application for current jailbroken
phones buy it supposedly did not work well.

Really, this iPhone came up VERY short on expectations.

Think we'll see a VCommand on the app store? We'll need an app for GPS voice as well. I can use the gps, but I'm not interested in reading tiny text while I drive. I need the iPhone to talk me through my local trips to new clients.

These are obvious things Apple could have included, but they like the idea of 10 indies vs 1 of their own. They'll see lots of competition for the same apps and make 30% on the lot.

Hopefully the next 30 days will be filled with software previews.

The BOOM is the App Store, not the device.

#24 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:49 AM

Here's an interesting point made by TUAW:

3G iPhone 8GB: $199; iPod Touch 8GB: $299
3G iPhone 16GB: $299; iPod Touch 16GB: $399

Surely iPod Touch prices will be reduced by July 11???

#25 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
There will be countless third-party ToDo apps when the AppStore launches.
Of course there will be, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a BASIC function (see Palm OS 1.0 from 10 years ago) and should be in the base iPhone feature set.

#26 of 82 ONLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Here's an interesting point made by TUAW:

3G iPhone 8GB: $199; iPod Touch 8GB: $299
3G iPhone 16GB: $299; iPod Touch 16GB: $399

Surely iPod Touch prices will be reduced by July 11???

Those prices are with a cell phone contract. Although we don't know the exact figures it is generally believed Apple is getting a slice of that recurring monthly fee.

With the Touch, Apple has to make profit on the initial sale since there is no guaranteed future revenue from it.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#27 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 08:59 AM

OK, this is from early in Engadget's liveblog post from the keynote (quoting Steve):
Quote:
"Let's talk about iPhone, the place to start is our new software -- the iPhone 2.0 platform, a giant step forward from where we've been... we started a dev program in March, which is just 95 days ago. In those 95 days we've had over 250k download the free SDK. We've had over 25k people apply to the pay developer program... unfortunately we couldn't take everybody, so we admitted 4k people to the program..."

"To help me, I'm going to ask Scott Forstall and Phil Schiller to help me with parts of this. Then... Bertrand Serlet will give you a sneak peak at the next version of OS X called Snow Leopard."
But the "sneak peak" at Snow Leopard didn't happen!! And according to TUAW, there was some info on SL posted on the Apple site which has now been taken down.

What's going on here? This is very un-Apple like.

#28 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker
Those prices are with a cell phone contract. Although we don't know the exact figures it is generally believed Apple is getting a slice of that recurring monthly fee.

With the Touch, Apple has to make profit on the initial sale since there is no guaranteed future revenue from it.
-Keith
True, but it's a reversal of the current situation where the iPhone is more expensive than it's Touch equivalent. This is about perceived value. Unless those prices drop, the iPod Touch is just going to look like a bad deal.

#29 of 82 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,868 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you expected any of this stuff at WWDC.

Well, since this is the second WWDC in a row and about 4 keynotes in a row if you count MWSFs that hasnt been F-all about the MAC, well yeah I guess those of us who really care about mac development should just STFU and let the iPod brain melt complete. Lets get rid of those Mac Pros completely shall we? =)

I'm only being half serious but Apple has really dropped the ball on the hardware side of things. They have way too many resources going to the iPhone and far too few going to their crown jewel OS. They seriously need to beat Microsoft to Multitouch on the desktop and I guess BluRay on anything is a dead issue. As a photographer and videographer I'm DISGUSTED that you cannot get a high definition recording device for this platform. There's not even the possibility of hooking anything HDMI up to ANY mac platform. These are WWDC issues but they are 3 years+ late on them so it obviously isnt a concern for Apple and that very much concerns me.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#30 of 82 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:10 AM

Sam,

You can't buy an external Blu-ray burner for Mac and burn
things to it using Toast?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#31 of 82 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,299 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
Do any "smartphones" have this feature? I remember when the Palm Treos came out: they couldn't do bluetooth voice dialing even though every $100 cellphone could do it. It's a very odd weakness for a high-end phone.
95 percent of smartphones have a tactile keyboard that you can manipulate by feel, however.

#32 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Well, since this is the second WWDC in a row and about 4 keynotes in a row if you count MWSFs that hasnt been F-all about the MAC, well yeah I guess those of us who really care about mac development should just STFU and let the iPod brain melt complete. Lets get rid of those Mac Pros completely shall we? =)

I'm only being half serious but Apple has really dropped the ball on the hardware side of things. They have way too many resources going to the iPhone and far too few going to their crown jewel OS. They seriously need to beat Microsoft to Multitouch on the desktop and I guess BluRay on anything is a dead issue. As a photographer and videographer I'm DISGUSTED that you cannot get a high definition recording device for this platform. There's not even the possibility of hooking anything HDMI up to ANY mac platform. These are WWDC issues but they are 3 years+ late on them so it obviously isnt a concern for Apple and that very much concerns me.
I agree that this stuff is needed, but I just don't think Apple sees BluRay & HDMI as WWDC/Developer issues. I put these in the same category as the much overdue display updates. This stuff needs to happen soon, but WWDC is the last place I'd expect 'em.

As far as ignoring the OS, well last year's WWDC was all about Leopard. But I think you're right about their resources being stretched too thin.

#33 of 82 ONLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
OK, this is from early in Engadget's liveblog post from the keynote (quoting Steve):

But the "sneak peak" at Snow Leopard didn't happen!! And according to TUAW, there was some info on SL posted on the Apple site which has now been taken down.

What's going on here? This is very un-Apple like.

That was a little strange. Here is Steve's quote from the beginning of the keynote:
Quote:
To help me, I'm going to ask Scott Forstall and Phil Schiller to help me with parts of this. Then... Bertrand Serlet will give you a sneak peak at the next version of OS X called Snow Leopard.
The only thing I can think of is if he was referring to another session and just didn't make it clear.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#34 of 82 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:58 AM

It probably meant a separate session outside of the keynote address.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#35 of 82 OFFLINE   Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 09:59 AM

I'm holding off on upgrading. I don't have a 3G network access right now as Oklahoma City and Tulsa are the only cities in Oklahoma that do.

I know the area pretty well so GPS is useless to me. I was hoping for at bare minimum a 32 gig version and I would have been right there in line!

No 32 gig version....eh...I can afford to wait for one with larger storage capability.

#36 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 10:00 AM

OK, some annoucements from AT&T (via AppleInsider):

* The unlimited data plan for 3G iPhone users is increasing to $30/month (it's currently $20). Boo.

* The revenue sharing deal with Apple is dead. They've revised their agreement with Apple to be more like the standard carrier/manufacturer agreement. They say this is why they can offer the new iPhones at prices similar to other smartphones. Translation: because AT&T is no longer paying Apple a cut of their monthly fees, they can afford to subsidize the phone.

#37 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is if he was referring to another session and just didn't make it clear.
Quote:
It probably meant a separate session outside of the keynote address.
You guys are probably right. It may have been lost in the Engadget translation.

#38 of 82 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 10:12 AM

AppleInsider (among other sites) has the Snow Leopard scoop. Highlights:

* "Grand Central" - tech that allows developers to more easily utilize multi-core CPUs.

* OpenCL - tech that allows developers to tap the power of GPUs in any app (not just graphics-related).

* Raise RAM limit to a theoretical 16TB (Drool....)

* Quick Time X (I guess we won't see QT 8 or 9)

* Exchange 2007 support integrated into Mail, iCal, Address Book

Obviously not much for the average user to get excited about. As was rumored, the goal of SL is to "to enhance the performance of OS X, set a new standard for quality and lay the foundation for future OS X innovation". Scheduled to ship in about a year.

Of course, no mention of price at this point, but I would be very surprised if Apple chose to charge the normal $129 for this.

#39 of 82 ONLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 09 2008 - 11:08 AM

Gizmodo is reporting that existing iPhone users will be able to buy a new iPhone and the 2 year contract will replace, not extend, their existing contract. Confirmed: If You Bought a 1st Gen iPhone After May 27th, You get a 3G iPhone Free

-Keith

#40 of 82 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
But the "sneak peak" at Snow Leopard didn't happen!!
This was a standard NDA session, after lunch. The "scoops" are from the press release, which of course didn't go into details.

Quote:
Obviously not much for the average user to get excited about.
The improvements may enable some complex applications to perform well enough on current (and near-future) hardware. That will be worth it to some.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow