What's new

When the next Simpsons DVD Boxset? (1 Viewer)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I thought I'd read it would be coming out in August but I may be thinking of South Park season 11.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well it's almost mid-June so if the rumor is true, I would expect to hear an announcement very, very soon. Considering how long this show has been on the air, I'm surprised with the slow pace these are getting released, especially since "The Simpsons Movie" was released in lieu of season 11 in December. Regardless I'll wait with baited breath for the announcement.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'd love to see the sets released quickly, but I realize that a lot of time and effort go into making these sets so good--few TV shows on DVD have commentaries for every single episode! Hopefully there will be a formal announcement about S11 soon!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The wait has been incredible. The dvds are about 10 years behind the actual show; they should put out season 11 and the 2007-08 season around the same time, then play catch up with seasons 12-up. That way, the current episodes would be available on dvd. ER has the same problem.

Daniel-M

Second Unit

I completley agree. They should have done this from the start. A classic season in February, the newest in August.

As for when season 11 is released i am starting to doubt it will be released in August. Every set released in August so far has been announced in May. Maybe the writers strike postponed the recording of the commentaries

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't want the sets coming out quicker if that means any drop in quality with regard to the extras, commentaries and presentation. The releases have been top-quality so far and I expect that to continue. They should not rush the sets out quicker simply because some fans have no patience.

But I do agree about possibly releasing the older seasons along with the newer ones, as well.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
It should have been announced by now if the August rumours had any substance. Fox always (or nearly always) announce their DVD releases three months ahead, and usually in the first or second week.

Hence, any August release should have been annoounced at the start of May.

It seems to be part of the general moritorium on TV releases from Fox (which has also swallowed the final Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea season). Of course, they're likely to continue with Recycled-Plot-Gate-Atlantis!

Release rates have little impact on extras, unless the rate is extreme. It should make no difference to the quality of extras whether you get one, two or even three releases per year.

This old chestnut would get wheeled out about the "classic" Doctor Who discs, which were coming out at a snail's pace (so slow that a complete release would have taken another 15-20 years!).

That has now been addressed, and there has been absolutely no impact on quality (including extras).

In any case, to me, the extras are just that : extras. A bonus. Surely, the main feature is the thing. I don;t refuse to go to a movie because the place isn't selling strawberry icecreams in the intermission.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory

It's nothing to do with "getting the releases right". Really. Fox don't care about that. All they care about is how much money they can make from them; quality of extras is fairly low on the list of what makes something sell, particularly if it's not a niche title where appeal to the fans is vital because the profit margin hangs on a few thousand either way.

Whats holding back the releases is that Fox don't think this is a good time to market them. It's not just The Simpsons, there has been a general decline in the number of DVD releases - probably because of worstening economic prospects. When people are struggling to pay for gas and food, they don't buy DVD boxsets.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
does anyone actually listen to all the commentaries? i did for the first couple sets but then just started ignoring them. I'd rather have commentaries on key episodes instead of all of them, especially if it meant getting sets out sooner.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory

..and they aren't.

Their release schedules are very quiet compared to a couple of years ago, and look to remain that way. A lot of their releases are re-churns in new packaging.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

I don't listen to them. I listened to a few from the first season but that's about it. I buy these sets (like any other) for the episodes themselves, not the bells and whistles accompanying them. It really is a shame that we'll only see one release this year (if we even get THAT at this point). Perhaps season 11+ are low on everyone's priority list because they aren't as "beloved" as the earlier season. Speculation, I know, but there has to be some reason. It just baffles me that a show that has been on the air this long, as well as one of the shows taking the longest to collect has come to a screeching halt like this. If nothing else, you'd think they'd pick up the pace.

But yeah, I'll admit it. I'm running out of patience. I'm not afraid to say it. There was a time I had hoped we'd see 3 releases per year in order to help catch up with current seasons. Instead, we're backpedalling to 1 a year. I think we, as fans and consumers have a right to be at least a little discouraged.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there's less releases than a few years ago but most most companies have released their cult shows and the TV DVD market is majorly glutted. You can blame the economy if you want but if it's the cause, why would Fox slow down the releases of the best selling show they've ever had? Wouldn't they release them faster to make up for the all the other money that aren't making from the other TV releases that they aren't able to release any more?

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Honestly, YES I DO! I always watch an episode and the same episode with its commentary track back to back! Same with Family Guy. Same, for that matter, with Warner Bros. cartoon shorts.

There's always something fun to be learned, no matter how trivial - and it's like watching with "friends"... who just happen to be figures in the entertainment industry. :)

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I'm scared that at this point FOX will switch over to Blu-Ray and start re-releasing the prior seasons in this format instead of regular format dvd. I'm not saying that the next season will come this way, but i'm betting by 2010 we will start seeing the Simpsons on Blu-Ray.

What season set did MG say in his intro that a new format will come before every season would be released on dvd?

Personally I think that if FOX would release a season each quarter of the year that it would be profitable by the end of the year. Sure some people can't afford a new season every four months, but w/birthdays and x-mas they can always get caught up at the end of the year.

Arild

Supporting Actor
How are they gonna do that? Weren't these shows edited and finished on SD video?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks