Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Height for TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Stan Welks

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 08:50 AM

What is the ideal height that a TV should be? Is this just a subjective preference? Thanks.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hi Stan - Is your set 720p? 1080p? What is your viewing distance?

Here are a couple of excellent sites for calculating ideal size (also keep in mind that TV sets are not typically measured by height, they are measured by diagonal in inches).

Sound & Vision Magazine - Maxing Out Resolution
1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) » CarltonBale.com

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   sptrout

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 09:22 AM

The ideal "height" of a TV should be eye level when you are seated. This will not only provide the best picture, but reduce neck strain. (The same issue as sitting in the front row in a movie theatre.) That is one of two reasons why mounting a TV above a fireplace (as often shown in ads) is strange. (The second reason is the heat from the fireplace is a bad thing.)
Samsung HL-S6188 TV
Onkyo 805 AVR
Sony BDPS1000ES Blu-ray & Oppo 971 DVD Players
DTV HR22 DVR
Infinity Beta 50's Front Speakers, C360 Center Speaker, and Beta 20's Surrounds, Hsu VTF MK 2 Subwoofer w/Turbo, & APC J15 UPS & Power Conditioner

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Stan Welks

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 09:25 AM

The set that I will be getting in the coming weeks will be 1080p. The current viewing distance is around 14-ft. I will take a look at the links. Thanks!

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 11:28 PM

I second the assertion: The center of your screen should be at eye level.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted June 09 2008 - 03:38 PM

Slight correction: The "ideal" position is actually where your eyes are 1/3 of the way up the screen. This is due to the fact that most people don't sit with a straight back when watching movies or TV. Almost everyone is slightly reclined and having your eyes at the 1/3 mark allows them to naturally look at the center of the screen due to the angle of your upper body. Of course, this is somewhat dependent upon your screen size and seating distance, so most people just shoot for the 1/2 way point.
"the dream never dies, just the dreamer"

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ralphie_B

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted June 10 2008 - 03:02 AM

I would say 1/3 of the way up is more important if you have two rows of seating, with the back row on a riser (not uncommon in front-projection home theaters). It's a good way of ensuring the back row won't have to crane their necks down, but the front row can still view comfortably without craning up. In my own theater, I have but a single row, and I aimed for "about halfway" -- it's worked out well.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted June 10 2008 - 04:56 AM

Well, for most HDTVs the diff between 1/3 and 1/2 is just several inches. Posted Image

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Ralphie_B

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted June 10 2008 - 07:44 AM

Good point -- Ever since I went FP, I tend to think of screens in terms of feet. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users