What's new

Q's about Mission Impossible BD Box Set (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, y'all.

I'm thinking to buy the M:I box set, but have a couple questions to consider before going for it.

1. Anyone know how likely Paramount will revisit this set in the next couple years to provide lossless audio and maybe better PQ (and whatever other extras)?

2. Are there any actual diff at all, especially in terms of PQ/AQ, between the box set and the separate titles that were released later? I just noticed that the box set version seems to use BD25 discs while the later separates use BD50, and that makes me wonder. The few reviews I've seen do not suggest there's any actual diff, but then again, it does not seem like that was looked into much.

I tried doing a search for these questions, but didn't find the answers I needed.

Thanks for any help w/ this.

_Man_

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
1. Who can say? I guess it depends on how quickly Cruise wants to save his flagging career by making M:I:IV. :D In other words, I don't forsee it unless they have a new film to promote along with them.

2. As far as I know, the only difference between the box set and the individual releases is the cardboard case that accompanies the box set.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Paul is probably correct. Perhaps the box set will be re-released with new extras and lossless audio, but then again, who knows.

HD DVD-release of "Mission: Impossible III" has exclusive "In-Movie Experience" video commentary, but that´s missing from the Blu-ray. Not sure if the HD DVD-release has all the "Easter eggs" from the Blu-ray-release, though.. So at least it would make sense to release "M:I 3" Blu-ray WITH that IME..

Current box set just has the individual releases in the cardboard case.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Paramount seems to have gotten over their spat with Cruise and are at this point in informal talks with him about a 4th Mission Impossible movie again with J.J. Abrams directing. Apparently Paramount is very happy with Star Trek so far and Abrams is their new goto guy.

Anyway there MAY be a new MI moving sooner than you might think.

Cruises career is hardly flagging. He has been hired along with Paula Wagner to be the new heads of United Artists.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Lions for Lambs was barely a blip on the radar, and the negative buzz surrounding Valkyrie is well known. Cruise's acting career has certainly certainly taken a down turn since jumping up and down on Oprah's couch.

BTW, I do agree that Abrams is rapidly becoming Paramont 'goto' guy. After the dismal M:I:II and, frankly, mediocre M:I, I was quite surprised at how engaging M:I:III was. It does give me hope for the new Star Trek film even if the plot appears to be yet another time travel-centric one.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The first two are in MPG2 rather than VC1, so I'd say that yeah, chances are high they'll redo them. But when? Months or years?

Personally I am holding off on all the early BluRay titles that were released in MPG2 -- so no Mission Impossible 2 for me, no Lara Croft Tomb Raider, no xXx (the Vin Diesel film), and no Enemy of the State either (both because it is MPG2 and because it is not the director's cut). All of those titles are MPG2 rather than VC1.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
most of the mpeg2 titles are very good, mpeg2 has the same PQ as VC1/mpeg4 if done correctly with enough bitrate

the Paramount mpeg2's are not a problem at all, trust me on that, in fact the 3 MI films mpeg2 BD encodes were better than the VC1 HD release as were some of the other early Paramount titles, the MI:3 VC1 HD release has pixelization issues that the mpeg2 BD doesn't ;)

-Gary

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

..that´s mostly created by the press. It´s not that only "Valkyrie" had a few problems during the shooting.. This is one of my anticipated movies for this year and Cruise is a great actor.

I agree with Gary with MPEG-2. Enough space and they look fine (at least you can´t blame the codec for every problem). Sure, it´s time to "move on" to AVC MPEG-4 and VC-1 (which has happened more-or-less), but I don´t skip any releases because of MPEG-2..

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I also agree with Gary. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III is one of the reference titles on Blu-ray in terms of picture quality as far as I'm concerned.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Just to clarify, it's an extended cut, not necessarily a director's cut. Having said that, I'm not buying it for the same reason...

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
the extended cut of Enemy is a total POS waste of time and is not director appoved, it is a studio hack job like Sony does to sell copies, skip it for sure

Enemy is a pretty darn good looking BD IMHO

-Gary

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Any comparative comments on the Dolby Digital soundtracks which, according to High Def Digest's individual title review spec listings, are at over twice the bit rate (1.5Mbps) on HD DVD as on BD (640kbps)?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
An easy buy for $29.99 on HD DVD at Fry's. Per reviews, II looks better than I; am looking forward to re-visiting III in the next couple weeks, which I understand looks better than II.

Re OP's first question: Man, it's Par--even if IV does happen, they are typically very slow at re-releasing even catalog gems (seven years for a Braveheart SE).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ooooh. Thanks for the follow-up, Paul. And thanks to everyone else too for their earlier replies (back in June). Had totally forgotten about this thread.

I actually picked up the set as individual BDs (for less) back in mid-June, IIRC.

And yeah, it does seem like Par is very slow w/ double-dips in general for better and/or worse. Fortunately, we at least don't need to worry about dealing w/ non-16x9 vs 16x9 transfers for Blu-ray plus Par seems to have adopted an all lossless audio policy going forward (though I'm not sure if that was ever announced in any official way). Too bad all this means those MI titles will likely not see lossless audio releases for a very long time to come (but I guess I can at least not bother thinking about it anymore :P)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks