What's new

THE CHANT OF JIMMY BLACKSMITH is coming soon.. (1 Viewer)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I tried to add to an earlier thread on this movie but had some trouble. Anyway, the long-delayed DVD releases of Fred Schepisi's CHANT OF JIMMY BLACKSMITH and DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND are now much closer, following the resolution of certain issues. (I mentioned in an earlier thread on this movie that Schepisi and others had been 'lazy' in working on getting the DVD out, which was bogus - other, more serious issues had delayed work on the DVD). Schepisi recorded excellent new commentary tracks for these movies in Melbourne just last week, interviews have been done with him and other members of the cast and crew for BLACKSMITH, and the S.E DVD's of these movies (coming out in both Australia and as a Region 1 DVD in the US) now aren't too far away.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
YES! YES! YES! Jimmy Blacksmith has consistantly been in my top 20 DVD wish list for many years now and its non-appearance on DVD in any country had left me deeply puzzled as it is one of the greatest films to ever come out of Australia. A disquieting film of exceptional power.

Do you know who is handling the US R1 edition, Anthony?

This film never had a widescreen VHS or LD and I have never heard of a widescreen TV presentation, so this may well be the first time that the film has been viewable in 2.35:1 outside of cinemas.

Cheers, Anthony!

PS: I believe that we'll also finally see Ted Kotcheff's, Wake in Fright (1971) this year. It's being screened in an American city, but I can't recall where at present. A DVD is also supposed to be in the works in Australia for release later in the year.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I was told the name of the company that is doing the R1 edition but have been asked not to repeat it. Nonetheless, I can generally confirm that it will be a high quality release and shouldn't disappoint.

I'd also heard what you said about WAKE IN FRIGHT. As I've never seen that movie, it should also be a top DVD.

JIMMY BLACKSMITH did have a 2.35:1 widescreen presentation on Australian TV some years back (on ABC TV) and looked pretty great. You're right though that it evidently hasn't screened in widescreen format anywhere else. I agree that it's about time it came out in a decent format.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reassurance for the R1 edition, Anthomy - I won't press you any further on the matter! We'll all find out the details from the distributor soon enough, I'm sure.

Wake in Fright
is said to be a bold, harrowing film with a great performance by Donald Pleasance.

Be sure to keep us posted on the Schepisi releases, Anthony! Cheers.

gerardbencen

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerard
Hi. I was searching for a DVD copy of the Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith. One of my Google hits was this forum, so I joined up. It is good news to see this is finally going to be released. Any news would be appreciated. I also looked up Wake in Fright - looks worthwhile too. Many thanks, Gerard

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I had really begun to think this would never happen, and kind of had to rub my eyes when I came across this thread. Thanks for the news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks