What's new

DeepDiscount 20% off sale Spring 2008 (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Too bad though that their Blu-ray prices aren't so hot. Even w/ the 20% off sale, it seems like most of them still wouldn't beat Amazon's prices on most days, no?

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Man: I think that's a real YMMV situation.

I've got three Blu-ray discs in my "wishlists" right now. Here's how they break down:

There Will Be Blood: $27.95 (A), $27.85 (DD), $22.28 (DD-20%)

Cloverfield: $19.95 (A), $22.83 (DD), $18.26 (DD-20%)

Company (Esparza): $19.95 (A), $20.24 (DD), $16.19 (DD-20%)

So, the DD sale prices look pretty good--assuming, that is, that the conspiracy theorists aren't right and DD jacks up their prices just before the sale begins! :P

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I've never used the sale much for new releases. I think sometimes the prices are a little higher for them during the sale.

But it's usually a great time to pick up box sets you've been waiting on.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yes, but the deals were not always great even with the 20% off. Good deals were to be had on hi-def box sets like Planet Earth.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

They'll be right along, John. I suspect many of the old stand-bys will still be functional: SUPERSALE, USATODAY and ESPN. But, we'll see.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
That's good news - I've got a ton of discs just waiting in my wish list ready to roll.

You know, I have to wonder if this 20% sale undermines their normal business any. I hardly do any business with them save for 2 times a year now. Of course I'm cutting back on DVDs across the board now, so NOBODY is getting my business.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's gotten them a little more business from me; I had been tending to forget about DD because Amazon had much better HD prices and when they were similar, I could kick a coupon someone's way by using referrals. Ordering from the sale did remind me that there are some categories (Asian action movies, for instance), where they legitimately do have the best prices and it's not close.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Yeah, I just tried it, and it didn't work yet, nor do any of the other usual suspects.

However, I'm very glad this thread was posted, cause it made me go to DD a couple of days early, where I found out in a more timely manner that one of the sets I was waiting for the sale to purchase for my sister's June 23rd birthday is out of stock. I went to Amazon and found a marketplace set for roughly what I would have gotten it for at the DD sale.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Yeah, same here. I guess they were testing out the codes and I happened to catch it at the right time.

Generally, they enable the codes the afternoon (around 4-5 EST) before the day they say the sale will start.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
While the 20 off sale still is a good one stop, general purpose sale- there are actually better studio centric sales sprinkled throughout the year. they just finished up a huge Fox/MGM Buy 2 Get 1 free sale where the per average cost was $6.50 for the MGMs and $7 for the Fox titles. During the 20 off sale, these same discs come to $7.72 and $8.38. Before that, a huge Sony sale with discs at $6.63...these are now $9.66 and higher. Even box sets have been on sale here or Amazon ar great discounts recently. I had tried to wait for this sale to really go nuts, but great deals have been coming fast fast and furious for the last few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks