Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DeepDiscount 20% off sale Spring 2008

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 of 151 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,684 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 03 2008 - 05:46 AM

I'm seeing various reports that are indicating the sale will take place from June 6 thru June 22.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 151 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,367 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 03 2008 - 06:00 AM

Well, I was going to go out and pick something up today but not now. Posted Image

#3 of 151 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 06:08 AM

Too bad though that their Blu-ray prices aren't so hot. Even w/ the 20% off sale, it seems like most of them still wouldn't beat Amazon's prices on most days, no?

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 151 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,684 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 03 2008 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
Too bad though that their Blu-ray prices aren't so hot. Even w/ the 20% off sale, it seems like most of them still wouldn't beat Amazon's prices on most days, no?

Man: I think that's a real YMMV situation.

I've got three Blu-ray discs in my "wishlists" right now. Here's how they break down:

There Will Be Blood: $27.95 (A), $27.85 (DD), $22.28 (DD-20%)

Cloverfield: $19.95 (A), $22.83 (DD), $18.26 (DD-20%)

Company (Esparza): $19.95 (A), $20.24 (DD), $16.19 (DD-20%)

So, the DD sale prices look pretty good--assuming, that is, that the conspiracy theorists aren't right and DD jacks up their prices just before the sale begins! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#5 of 151 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 07:37 AM

I've never used the sale much for new releases. I think sometimes the prices are a little higher for them during the sale.

But it's usually a great time to pick up box sets you've been waiting on.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#6 of 151 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 03 2008 - 07:54 AM

Did the last sale apply to hi-def discs? I don't think it did, but I'm not sure.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 151 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,425 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Did the last sale apply to hi-def discs? I don't think it did, but I'm not sure.

Yes, but the deals were not always great even with the 20% off. Good deals were to be had on hi-def box sets like Planet Earth.

#8 of 151 John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone know what the discount codes will be??

#9 of 151 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,684 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 03 2008 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton
Does anyone know what the discount codes will be??

They'll be right along, John. I suspect many of the old stand-bys will still be functional: SUPERSALE, USATODAY and ESPN. But, we'll see.

#10 of 151 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,493 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 03 2008 - 02:40 PM

I made my last car payment last month, so I'm ready! Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 151 John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
They'll be right along, John. I suspect many of the old stand-bys will still be functional: SUPERSALE, USATODAY and ESPN. But, we'll see.

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to this sale. I have a lot blu rays which I have been waiting to get.

#12 of 151 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 04:19 AM

That's good news - I've got a ton of discs just waiting in my wish list ready to roll.

You know, I have to wonder if this 20% sale undermines their normal business any. I hardly do any business with them save for 2 times a year now. Of course I'm cutting back on DVDs across the board now, so NOBODY is getting my business.

#13 of 151 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 04:42 AM

It's gotten them a little more business from me; I had been tending to forget about DD because Amazon had much better HD prices and when they were similar, I could kick a coupon someone's way by using referrals. Ordering from the sale did remind me that there are some categories (Asian action movies, for instance), where they legitimately do have the best prices and it's not close.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 151 arsh

arsh

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 05:13 AM

ESPN does work

#15 of 151 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 04 2008 - 05:22 AM

It works now???
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#16 of 151 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
It works now???

Just tried it...yes it does!

#17 of 151 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
Just tried it...yes it does!
Not anymore apparently
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#18 of 151 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, I just tried it, and it didn't work yet, nor do any of the other usual suspects.

However, I'm very glad this thread was posted, cause it made me go to DD a couple of days early, where I found out in a more timely manner that one of the sets I was waiting for the sale to purchase for my sister's June 23rd birthday is out of stock. I went to Amazon and found a marketplace set for roughly what I would have gotten it for at the DD sale.

#19 of 151 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant H
Not anymore apparently

Yeah, same here. I guess they were testing out the codes and I happened to catch it at the right time.

Generally, they enable the codes the afternoon (around 4-5 EST) before the day they say the sale will start.

#20 of 151 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 08:22 AM

While the 20 off sale still is a good one stop, general purpose sale- there are actually better studio centric sales sprinkled throughout the year. they just finished up a huge Fox/MGM Buy 2 Get 1 free sale where the per average cost was $6.50 for the MGMs and $7 for the Fox titles. During the 20 off sale, these same discs come to $7.72 and $8.38. Before that, a huge Sony sale with discs at $6.63...these are now $9.66 and higher. Even box sets have been on sale here or Amazon ar great discounts recently. I had tried to wait for this sale to really go nuts, but great deals have been coming fast fast and furious for the last few months.

Back to Bargains and Deals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow