-

Photo
- - - - -

New Aimee Mann "@#%&! Smilers" - 6/3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 08:58 AM

I'm really looking forward to this one...it's already generating some great reviews:

antiMusic.com: Aimee Mann - @#%&! Smilers Review

Aimee Mann’s New Album: Less Serious But Still Smart | Newsweek Entertainment: Music | Newsweek.com

CD Review: '@#%&*! Smilers' by Aimee Mann - Eric R. Danton | Sound Check
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 02 2008 - 09:48 AM

Yep, I'm there with you. I'll even wear my favorite Mann tee-shirt in honor (illustrated portrait by Seth).

The Forgotten Arm was sort of a slow burn for me. Now it's my first choice when I want to listen to her. I'm sure I'll be wearing out the new one too.

Next month, the shows!
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 07:50 AM

Just got back from Best Buy ($9.99) and popped it in...I'm already hooked on "Freeway!"
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 03 2008 - 08:06 AM

I went for the Deluxe Edition.

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 08:09 AM

I have it on order; also deluxe.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 08:32 AM

I probably should have gone deluxe...not sure why I didn't.

I'm really liking it so far. While I don't yet own "The Forgotten Arm" it sounds akin to "Lost In Space" to me. It moves pretty quickly too...out of the 13 tracks, only 3 tracks are longer than 4 minutes.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 11:40 AM

I have the Special Edition on order at Amazon, the damn thing still hasn't shipped. Posted Image

Been listening to the pre-release for a couple weeks and it's a very solid effort. I really don't think Aimee Mann can make a bad CD.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 02:13 PM

It got a 4/5 stars at allmusic.com but the review has not yet been posted, only the rating.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 03:21 PM

Review just posted at Allmusic.com - allmusic ((( @#%&*! Smilers > Overview )))

Arguably, Aimee Mann hasn't released a simple collection of songs since her 1999 breakthrough with the Magnolia soundtrack and its cousin, Bachelor No. 2. Her releases since then have been prominent and respected, yet they played as explorations, with 2003's Lost in Space floating in the ether and 2006's The Forgotten Arm qualifying as an outright concept album. With @#%&*! Smilers, she returns to simply writing and recording songs, a back to basics that isn't quite so basic, as it finds Mann livelier and snarkier than she's been in a while. That censored profanity in the record's complete title -- it's easy to see but not say or write -- is a tip-off that Smilers has a defiant cynicism rippling throughout the record, something that's welcome after the careful craftsmanship of The Forgotten Arm and the spacy sleepiness of Lost in Space. Although this could hardly qualify as a bold departure -- there is nothing surprising about the arrangements, which still bear the ghost of Jon Brion although he is long gone -- Smilers pops with color, something that gives it an immediacy that's rare for an artist known for songs that subtly worm their way into the subconscious. That still happens here, of course -- one of Mann's greatest strengths is that her songs unfold slowly, seeming indelible after a few listens -- but Smilers grabs a listener, never making him or her work at learning the record, as there are both big pop hooks and a rich sonic sheen. At its heart it's just a collection of songs, but it's that rare thing for a songwriter: it works as a piece of writing and a sterling pop album of its own.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted June 05 2008 - 03:13 AM

Very cool Ron. I just ordered the Lost in Space mofi SACD last night. Now I have another to get...too bad it is not hirez. Maybe mofi will do it at some point.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 05 2008 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Scoggins
Very cool Ron. I just ordered the Lost in Space mofi SACD last night. Now I have another to get...too bad it is not hirez. Maybe mofi will do it at some point.

LiS is one of my favorite MoFis, Lee...good choice! It sounds superb.

I agree, I hope to see "Smilers" out on SACD someday as well. MoFi always seems to do well by AM's albums.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted June 05 2008 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colella
I really don't think Aimee Mann can make a bad CD.
Ditto. I'm digging what I've listened to so far.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 12:16 AM

I have to say that so far, I'm really disappointed.

I've been a big Aimee fan ever since Magnolia and am primarily drawn to the catchy aspect of her song writing. She usually pulls this off without sounding too poppy. Following two listenings, I have yet to discover a catchy song.

Hopefully this is a slow burn thing and I will end up loving it. We'll see soon enough.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 06 2008 - 12:21 AM

I haven't been able to get Freeway out of my head...

Ballantines is also easy to recall without any assist.

Quote:
Hopefully this is a slow burn thing and I will end up loving it. We'll see soon enough.
Isn't that contradictory - slow burn and soon? Posted Image

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

I find with my first listen to her new CDs I immediately like half the songs while the other half don't make much of an impression on me. After 5-10 spins of the CD the second half of songs that originally didn't do much for me wind up being my favorites and I always wonder how it didn't suck me in on the first listen.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 07:31 AM

I find with my first listen to her new CDs I immediately like half the songs while the other half don't make much of an impression on me. After 5-10 spins of the CD the second half of songs that originally didn't do much for me wind up being my favorites and I always wonder how it didn't suck me in on the first listen.

I'm usually pretty similar, but so far with this album nothing has stuck. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood. I've been listening to lots of Metal lately.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
I have to say that so far, I'm really disappointed.

I've been a big Aimee fan ever since Magnolia and am primarily drawn to the catchy aspect of her song writing. She usually pulls this off without sounding too poppy. Following two listenings, I have yet to discover a catchy song.

WHA-WHAT?!?!?! Wow, I thought there were catchy songs au plenty right off the bat...31 Today, Freeway, Ballantines, Borrowing Time just to name a few. As per your other post, you're just in the wrong mood...going from metal to AM sounds like a tough transition! Posted Image In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised that it grew on me so fast...I wasn't sure how an AM CD released in the summer would hit me, but I'm digging it big time. I guess when I think of her stuff, I think autumn and winter due to the nature of the lyrics and the sparseness of some of her arrangements.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 06 2008 - 03:27 PM

Looks like she's on Leno on Monday.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 06:38 AM

I missed Leno, gonna have to check it out on Youtube. I also missed her at Bonnaroo (was a tough sell getting 3 dudes over to see her), but I will check her out when she comes to ATL in September!

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Blair G

Blair G

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted June 18 2008 - 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
Looks like she's on Leno on Monday.

Saw her, she was good.

Really liked the song she played (Freeway?)

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow