What's new

Father Knows Best -- Season 2!!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Hot off the press -- according to TVShowsonDVD.com the Second Season of FKB will be coming from Shout! on November 11.

No news, of course, as to whether it will be all (or mostly) cut prints, but this season is more tempting to me than Season One, because a few years back TV Land only showed Season One episodes (which I taped). So this is going into the Buy column for me, no matter what prints they use.

And there were 37 episodes in Season 2! Wow!

(There was also one week when Robert Young appeared in a western as a change of pace ... will that be included? Only time will tell.)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Ah, come join the dark side, young Lugoff. :)

Gary "of course this is great, great news and I'm buying regardless" O.

MARC1

Agent
Real Name
marc soaper
GREAT NEWS!.on FNB. hopefully this means we will get seasons 3 & 4 in 09.
Also since this release is coming out in november close to the holidays.
I wonder if there is any chance the FNB holiday reunion movies from I believe the late 70's would be included as an extra that would be awesome.I am sure the fine folks TSOD will let us know.At some point

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I'm so stoked over this!!

(along with Donna Reed too :) )

Definitely gonna buy it

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
TVShowsonDVD is reporting confirmation of this release on November 11.

I'm going to open up the old can of worms because ----- well, because it's important to me.

Shout! Factory is calling it: Father Knows Best - The Complete 2nd Season. If they use cut prints, as they did for Season 1, isn't it false to call this "complete"?

I think it is. No one would publish an abridged book and call it "complete" and get away with it.

Or, could it be, this season will be complete prints? Dare I hope?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Since the banner at the top of the season one set reads THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON, it's safe to assume that the wording means nothing, even if by some great luck we actually get a complete runs of second season shows, which I am actually holding out hope for.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As I've said before, there are three factors that will make "FKB - Season 2" a definite buy for me, in spite of the cut episodes.

#1 - I take into account the studio putting the release out. If Sony were doing this I'd very possibly boycott the release because I know for sure they have access to good, complete prints. With Shout, we have no idea what they have access to. It's more than possible that their contract with Sony and the Young Estate is only giving them access to this jumble of cut and uncut prints. So I'm willing to give them some slack because they aren't one of the big wig studios like Sony, Paramount, or Universal. This isn't the same deal as Infinity where they said themselves they had access to better prints but still chose to use the poor ones for the re-release of Season 1. That's a different matter all together because they themselves admitted they could have redone that first half of the season using better elements. If we had proof that Shout was doing that then I'd boycott. But I'm relatively sure they are going with what they are given.

#2 - If anyone has any knowledge of this show playing on a national station, uncut, anywhere in the U.S.A. where I can tape it for myself, then I'll pass on cut prints. But I'm guessing we all know the truth: this show is never going to see that kind of run on television again. What with station bugs, blaring commercials, and interrupted dialog for even more advertisement, there's no way we are getting this show any better than what Shout is going to deliver.

#3 - Many times these choices come down to personal preferences. How important is the show to you. For me, FKB is a "holy grail" show and I want it really bad. Therefore I'm willing to live with some of the imperfections because, as I've said before, I'm surely not getting a better set from another source.

Gary "that first set brought me and my family hours of enjoyment, and I'm just thankful that Shout is doing something - goodness knows Sony wasn't going to release this series" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I agree with Gary's sentiments 100%
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Face it folks, no one is going to give us complete pristine prints of FKB and boycotting a release isn't going to make matters any better. I am grateful that this series is seeing a second release, period! Look at how many other series that are still unreleased in official formats--too many to name but some are such as I Married Joan, Ann Sothern's two series, Gale Storm's two series, Our Miss Brooks, etc.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

You named the exact shows I'd want the most -- all of those 1950s shows which followed "I Love Lucy" and involved some female driving some male in her life (husband, father, boss) crazy with her wacky behavior and harebrained schemes.

I've given up all hope for them, and this "Father Knows Best" Second Season is something of a miracle. I would have bet it would have been a "one and done," but it looks like it might go as far as "Leave It to Beaver" did (in other words, "two and through").

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Now, I Googled around to try to verify this information, and I couldn't find a thing. Does anyone here have any idea if this is true or not? I'm actually starting to get my hopes up a little, because this guy seems so sure about what he's saying.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm disappointed the FKB fans haven't responded to my message -- I'd love verificiation of what the reviewer on Amazon said.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I can't verify what the reviewer said, Joe. But I would take it with a grain of salt. I'm prepared to expect another set with cut prints, rather than all uncut ones. if the latter happens, then a marvelous surprise awaits us all!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Here's something else strange:

I was at Best Buy a few days ago and held Season One in my hand and it did NOT say "The Complete First Season" on it. It's as if it's a "second printing" of the box, and they removed the word "complete".

If so, it could mean they're well aware that cut episodes don't equal "complete," and they're taking steps to correct that with the Second Season.

That got my hopes up --- and then I read that thing on Amazon. My hopes are even higher now --- am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
My set says "Season One" as well. *shrugs*

I'm just prepared to have FKB in good quality, cut or uncut, since we probably will never see any other kind of release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am just glad Sony is allowing other companies to release their series that Sony itself has no interest in. I hope the estate of George Burns and Grace Allen make some arrangement for the Burns and Allen show to come to DVD.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Eddie Kasica on the Amazon page for Season 2 of FKB wrote this in response to the comment you mentioned:

"Eddie Kasica says:
Hey, Robert.

That would be great news. (And what would be even greater news is if they went back and redid Season One.)

What is your source? I have heard nothing like this. (And considering that Season Two is 37 eps, while Year One was only 26, highly doubtful.) Hope you're not just spreading manure."

This is a question for Gord or David over at tvshowsondvd.com. Has there been any confirmation that Season 2 of FKB is uncut?

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Burns and Allen would be another nice one to have! But for me, only the filmed episodes...I've seen a few of the "live" episodes and the chemistry of the cast hadn't quite jelled yet.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
TVShowsonDVD is reporting that this set, which will include an episode of "Window on Main Street," will run approximately 900 minutes. The arithmetic sadly reveals that that suggests cut, syndication prints.

Well, I really didn't expect anything else.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I noticed that as well, Joe. And like you, I'm not surprised. But I still believe, based on all the info we've been given and the little I've scrounged up on my own, that SHOUT really shouldn't be chastised too much on this issue. I'm reasonably sure they are working with the RY Estate and can only put out what they are given. This is probably akin to the "Ozzie & Harriet" sets where SHOUT is getting their copies from the Nelson Estate. And that means you get a mixed bag. Sony would be the only ones that could supply us with pristine, uncut prints and they don't give a flip about this show (nor much of anything that's in b&w). So I'm still going to purchase and support this release.

Gary "guess it would be too much to hope that the 'Window on Main Street' episode on this upcoming set would be the Christmas-themed one from that short-lived series" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks