What's new

Thinking forward to next week (cell Qs) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Everyone expects a 3G iPhone 2 with AT&T subsidies. Personally my experience with Apple is they never ever give what you expect so I wouldnt be shocked at all to see an EDGE/Wimax combo no 3g just to screw with people, but assuming there is some 3G variant I intend to swap on day 1.

Currently Verizon owns me for about a year more. I expect I will have to do the math and figure out if its wiser to just give my current cell to my nephew or pay the contract breaking fee. I see AT&T is now prorating the contract bust fee but I dont expect the pirates at Verizon will do that.

The thing is I really want to keep my current number. I believe if I cancel my contract that I can take that number with me to AT&T pretty easily, is that right?

But what if I just want to pay for my nephew to take over this phone and move my number to the iPhone and give him a new one, can I do that easily?

Guess I'll have more Qs after those are answered and once we see whats on the docket, but if anyone has any info on that it sure would help.

Sam

Jonathan_

Second Unit
You can port your number over from Verizon. When you port it over from Verizon it will cancel your account and you will accessed with an early term fee. Do not cancel your account with Verizon until your number is with AT&T.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Sam, a discussion on the Apple boards - Apple - Support - Discussions - How do I Port a Number over? ...

Should be the same as last year. Porting your number from V is available in the setup on your computer.
Most people confirmed a smooth ride doing the same.

You might check to see if the early out fee changes after a certain time, but I suspect V is not friendly. My V contract was for 1 year, and I'm currently on month to month. I expect some BS fees on the way out when I let Ma-Bell take over.
Switch subsidies? Friendly TelCos? Show me the way ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Smooth ride for me.

A year ago I cancelled Verizon, paid the early termination fee
and easily ported over my phone number through the iTunes
iPhone registration. There's a place for you to type in your
current phone number you wish to transfer to AT&T. They do
it all for you.

All of this is done effortlessly online, by yourself, in under 5 minutes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think the rumor mill is too full of knowledgable people saying that 3G is coming for it not to come. If it doesn't appear, it will be a huge letdown and Apple is too savvy to let the iPhone be hit with such bad buzz.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Both Verizon and Sprint started prorating early termination fees in the last year, although it's not clear to me whether that also applies to contracts signed prior to the new policy taking effect. As someone else mentioned, as soon as your Verizon number gets ported to AT&T, you're stuck with the ETF. There's no getting around it by assigning your existing phone a new number.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, and the ETF is at most $175 right? Still might be worth it, if harsh. Monday can't come fast enough, tho I'm still not sure I believe that it will be a 'buy it today' kinda deal.

Soon enough tho I'll be tellin ya all to Hit me on my iPhone

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
While I think it's pretty much a done deal that His Steveness will announce the 3G iPhone on Monday, there's some rumblings that availability might not be until later in the month, so I think you're wise to temper your anticipation a bit, Sam.

It has been fun to follow the rumors on this one. If all the rumors are correct, we'll be seeing a thinner, yet thicker, 3G iPhone with built-in GPS, improved battery life, front-mounted camera, available unlocked and subsidized from AT&T.

;)

Yeah, that makes no sense. Besides the obvious (3G), I'm guessing it will be slightly thinner, just like almost every Apple product released recently (Steve loves him his thin). No built-in GPS (too much of a battery-juice sucker), but will support external GPS via Bluetooth (maybe there will even be an Apple-branded one). I'm saying "no" to the front-mounted camera, although I think the camera hardware & software will be greatly improved (allowing zoom, movies, etc.). And yeah, it will probably be subsidized for new contracts.

Main thing I want to hear is if there will be any trade-in offer for us iPhone 1 folks.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I'll go with a 70% chance of available today (9th)

I miss the old days of watching the keynote live.
Too crowded these days ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's only 3 words I want to hear during keyword bingo:

3G
Blu
Ray

I don't care what else comes about, if those 3 are on the dock, I'm in, for two seperate products of course! =)

Blu

Screenwriter
Has there been an Apple product with as much hype around an upcoming release as the iPhone 2?

I mean the iPhone hype was BIG but this release is just insane at how or even IF they are going to put out a newer version and what if anything is going to be added to it.

Personally I'd love to have some really great apps without having to unlock my phone. I know that the app store will be in the next firmware version and I'd love to just be able to theme my iphone, add a few different tweaks here and there, nothing major.

I'm sure that some killer app will catch my eye though!

Jonathan_

Second Unit

I work for AT&T and so far we don't have any iphones on order for next week. If it is going to be available Monday we will know at our store this Friday. My guess would be next Friday at the earliest for it to be released.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jonathan,

Keep us posted. You are the "inside" guy and would be first
to know about any activity.

I need to know when to take my next sick day to stand in line.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, talked to Verizon today and found out its only $130 to cancel (they have implemented prorating) and it might actually be even less when the thing finally launches, so that's settled. I'll cancel that and ebay my Razor2. Just gotta find someone with the right USB cable to snarf all my contact info first.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well if it comes out any time between the 5-15, I'll have to get it on the east coast as I'll be vacationing in Boston and NYC, coincidentally the location of the largest Apple stores in the U.S. :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hmmm, gonna be a busy month for Apple. Along with the 3G iPhone, there is much buzz about a revamping/rebranding of .Mac (to "Mobile Me"), and the next version of OS X, 10.6 or "Snow Leopard", is supposed to be seeded to developers at WWDC. Will Steve have time for all of that in next week's keynote, or will the new iPhone get bumped to a separate event later in the month??

Only thing for sure now is that Monday is going to be very interesting.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I didn't hear anything today, but will check again tomorrow.

On a positive note I am currently getting my first Mac up and running. I have turned into a complete Apple fanboy since I got my iPhone back in October.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

ErichH

Screenwriter

Of all the rumors going, Apple switching away from brand strength .mac to .me sounds a little goofy. Why would they ditch Mac. I can see some added service.

Every year the tablet talk pops up as well. This year it's touch screen tablet. Is the iPhone not that device sans software?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks