What's new

Fire at Universal Damages Video Vault! (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What does this mean for stuff that originated on videotape, or stuff that was shot on film but edited on tape? Gone for good? I hope not.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
I can still see the smoke as I write this, a terrible fire. Thankfully no one was hurt and according to the Uni spokesperson on the local news nothing that was lost in the video vault was "irreplaceable."

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
They said there are duplicates of the movies and films at a different location, so it appears nothing was lost "for good."

Jack

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
just another excuse why they move so slow putting out Universal titles on DVD.

glad that nobody was killed after seeing the shot of the soundstage roof collapsing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's good that no one was killed.

Regarding the lost tapes, they might have to remaster their stuff just to have a video master. Then maybe something good can come out of this catastrophe.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Yuk it up, guys, but if the "Adam-12" and "Ironside" masters Shout was gonna source for upcoming DVD releases were in that vault, or the "Night Gallery" S2 masters that may or may not be on the slate for Halloween, or the "Laredo" and "Laramie" that Timeless is tapping into, this could hurt.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Thats what insurance is for. The master film prints are safe. So insurance will buy Universal new digital copies.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I don't think it's that simple. I and a friend were talking about the fire earlier this evening and came to exactly the same fearful conclusion that Stephen did. We can't assume Universal would go to the trouble of remastering those older shows again, even if Shout or Timeless wanted them. I'm not going to rest easy until I hear that none of the shows Stephen mentioned, as well as others, are safe.

Gary "very insightful comments, Stephen" O.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
One hopes that there are clones of every tape master stored in a separate facility (there are certainly much smaller film companies than Uni that take that basic precaution) ... but even if that's the case, you have to imagine that retrieving the backup copies of 40 year old TV shows so that a third-party licensee can make its release dates is probably about 11,000th on their priority list right now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Totally sucks is putting it mildly. Think of what could be lost if they were not backed up, including the legendary Motown back catalog. All I can think of is the fire in the 1970s that wiped out a lot of Atlantic Records masters. The amount of stuff that is likely to be gone is much greater.

Is it overstating it to think this could be pop music's answer to the Alexandria library fire?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
In photos I've seen firefighters carrying out DigiBeta tapes, single-reel film cans and multiple-reel film cans (the kind that are used to deliver films to theaters).

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Motown is stored in New Jersey as are the Polydor labels that are part of Universal music, like Mercury. What I'm hearing was destroyed was Decca, Dot, Kapp, ABC, Dunhill, Uni, A&M and many of the other Universal owned labels. And unlike film/video, they don't have backup master tapes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I didn't know that about the Polydor labels. It's still distressing, and when I think of the absence of backups, all I want to do is shout "YOU FOOLS!"

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I can't beleive that Vivendi didn't have back-ups on the audio masters - it's like the only thing they really kept after selling most of MCA/Universal to NBC/GE!

Hopefully Richard Carpenter and Herb Albert have back-up master tapes on all their A&M Material in their personal collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks