Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fire at Universal Damages Video Vault!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 07:48 AM

Fire burns at Universal Studios

Contents of the studio's video-library vault were damaged, but the vault contained only digital copies of more than 40,000 film and TV titles. No negatives or film masters were affected.

Guess this means they have start from scrach making masters Posted Image

Fire rages at Universal Studios - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

The studio's film vault, which is lined in concrete and lead and contains irreplaceable film negatives, was not affected.

#2 of 56 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 07:55 AM

What does this mean for stuff that originated on videotape, or stuff that was shot on film but edited on tape? Gone for good? I hope not.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#3 of 56 OFFLINE   Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 08:03 AM

I can still see the smoke as I write this, a terrible fire. Thankfully no one was hurt and according to the Uni spokesperson on the local news nothing that was lost in the video vault was "irreplaceable."

#4 of 56 OFFLINE   Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 09:28 AM

They said there are duplicates of the movies and films at a different location, so it appears nothing was lost "for good."

Jack

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
Contents of the studio's video-library vault were damaged, but the vault contained only digital copies of more than 40,000 film and TV titles. No negatives or film masters were affected.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 56 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 11:37 AM

just another excuse why they move so slow putting out Universal titles on DVD.

glad that nobody was killed after seeing the shot of the soundstage roof collapsing.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#7 of 56 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 11:45 AM

It's good that no one was killed.

Regarding the lost tapes, they might have to remaster their stuff just to have a video master. Then maybe something good can come out of this catastrophe.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#8 of 56 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 12:25 PM

ICAM, Matthew- maybe they'll actually find some titles worth releasing!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 12:55 PM

Yuk it up, guys, but if the "Adam-12" and "Ironside" masters Shout was gonna source for upcoming DVD releases were in that vault, or the "Night Gallery" S2 masters that may or may not be on the slate for Halloween, or the "Laredo" and "Laramie" that Timeless is tapping into, this could hurt.

#10 of 56 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 01 2008 - 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bowie
Yuk it up, guys, but if the "Adam-12" and "Ironside" masters Shout was gonna source for upcoming DVD releases were in that vault, or the "Night Gallery" S2 masters that may or may not be on the slate for Halloween, or the "Laredo" and "Laramie" that Timeless is tapping into, this could hurt.

Thats what insurance is for. The master film prints are safe. So insurance will buy Universal new digital copies.

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
Thats what insurance is for. The master film prints are safe. So insurance will buy Universal new digital copies.

I don't think it's that simple. I and a friend were talking about the fire earlier this evening and came to exactly the same fearful conclusion that Stephen did. We can't assume Universal would go to the trouble of remastering those older shows again, even if Shout or Timeless wanted them. I'm not going to rest easy until I hear that none of the shows Stephen mentioned, as well as others, are safe.

Gary "very insightful comments, Stephen" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#12 of 56 OFFLINE   Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 03:01 PM

One hopes that there are clones of every tape master stored in a separate facility (there are certainly much smaller film companies than Uni that take that basic precaution) ... but even if that's the case, you have to imagine that retrieving the backup copies of 40 year old TV shows so that a third-party licensee can make its release dates is probably about 11,000th on their priority list right now.

#13 of 56 OFFLINE   Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 03:15 PM

From Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily.com

Quote:
UPDATE: Uni Blaze Burns Musical History

It looks like more was damaged or destroyed in today’s Universal Studios fire than anyone previously thought. I've learned that Universal Music, which is a completely separate company and owned by Vivendi (which owns 20% of NBC Universal), rents space in the huge video vault housed on the studio lot. But one source tells me that, as a consequence, inside the video vault that was billowing thick black smoke were 1000's of original Decca, MCA, ABC recording masters from the last century including a wide range of music from Bing Crosby and the Andrew Sisters to Judy Garland and The Carpenters. "This is a tremendous loss in music history. A very sad day indeed. It's too bad they saved the videos that they have backups on instead of the master recordings in which they do not, although they may not have had a choice since the fire had already engulfed much of the music side of the vault," a source just told me. Universal Studios can't confirm what has been damaged or destroyed music-wise at this point because it doesn't yet know what exactly was housed in the storage rented to Universal Music.

http://static.hometh...cache_31135.bmp
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston

#14 of 56 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
From Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily.com

Uni Blaze Burns Musical History

It looks like more was damaged or destroyed in today’s Universal Studios fire than anyone previously thought. I've learned that Universal Music, which is a completely separate company and owned by Vivendi (which owns 20% of NBC Universal), rents space in the huge video vault housed on the studio lot. But one source tells me that, as a consequence, inside the video vault that was billowing thick black smoke were 1000's of original Decca, MCA, ABC recording masters from the last century including a wide range of music from Bing Crosby and the Andrew Sisters to Judy Garland and The Carpenters. "This is a tremendous loss in music history. A very sad day indeed. It's too bad they saved the videos that they have backups on instead of the master recordings in which they do not, although they may not have had a choice since the fire had already engulfed much of the music side of the vault," a source just told me. Universal Studios can't confirm what has been damaged or destroyed music-wise at this point because it doesn't yet know what exactly was housed in the storage rented to Universal Music.

THAT TOTALLY SUCKS! Posted Image

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
I don't think it's that simple. I and a friend were talking about the fire earlier this evening and came to exactly the same fearful conclusion that Stephen did. We can't assume Universal would go to the trouble of remastering those older shows again, even if Shout or Timeless wanted them. I'm not going to rest easy until I hear that none of the shows Stephen mentioned, as well as others, are safe.

Gary "very insightful comments, Stephen" O.

Same here Posted Image

#16 of 56 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 05:15 PM

Totally sucks is putting it mildly. Think of what could be lost if they were not backed up, including the legendary Motown back catalog. All I can think of is the fire in the 1970s that wiped out a lot of Atlantic Records masters. The amount of stuff that is likely to be gone is much greater.

Is it overstating it to think this could be pop music's answer to the Alexandria library fire?

#17 of 56 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 05:38 PM

In photos I've seen firefighters carrying out DigiBeta tapes, single-reel film cans and multiple-reel film cans (the kind that are used to deliver films to theaters).
-Jay

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Totally sucks is putting it mildly. Think of what could be lost if they were not backed up, including the legendary Motown back catalog. All I can think of is the fire in the 1970s that wiped out a lot of Atlantic Records masters. The amount of stuff that is likely to be gone is much greater.

Is it overstating it to think this could be pop music's answer to the Alexandria library fire?

Motown is stored in New Jersey as are the Polydor labels that are part of Universal music, like Mercury. What I'm hearing was destroyed was Decca, Dot, Kapp, ABC, Dunhill, Uni, A&M and many of the other Universal owned labels. And unlike film/video, they don't have backup master tapes.

#19 of 56 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dearborn
Motown is stored in New Jersey as are the Polydor labels that are part of Universal music, like Mercury. What I'm hearing was destroyed was Decca, Dot, Kapp, ABC, Dunhill, Uni and many of the other Universal owned labels. And unlike film/video, they don't have backup master tapes.

I didn't know that about the Polydor labels. It's still distressing, and when I think of the absence of backups, all I want to do is shout "YOU FOOLS!"

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 07:35 PM

I can't beleive that Vivendi didn't have back-ups on the audio masters - it's like the only thing they really kept after selling most of MCA/Universal to NBC/GE!

Hopefully Richard Carpenter and Herb Albert have back-up master tapes on all their A&M Material in their personal collections.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow