Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal Studios on Fire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 01 2008 - 02:20 AM

Woke up this morning to live coverage (check your preferred news source) of the Universal back lot burning. The fire looks massive and there is currently an unconfirmed report of a film vault building is on fire.

Thankfully, so far, nobody has been injured.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#2 of 35 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 02:57 AM

Hopefully the negative for Jackson's KING KONG was in there.

#3 of 35 RonR

RonR

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 03:02 AM

Posted Image

#4 of 35 Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR
Posted Image

Huh?

I've been watching this on the news for a few hours.

To my understanding there was shooting going on...and possible damage to the king kong ride.

I do not believe the film vault is yet burning, but I know it was said to have been "threatened".

It's still a bit unclear though.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#5 of 35 Galen_V

Galen_V

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 03:54 AM

Based on this live feed from NBC Livestream: News Raw and this map Studio Operations -- Working on the Lot (click on "Universal lot map" on the left), it appears as if the building currently engulfed in flames is "6197", which is one of the film vaults. The building above the vault that is completely gutted is the King Kong building. Surprisingly, the courthouse facade from Back to the Future seems to have survived.

#6 of 35 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 01 2008 - 04:21 AM

Just watched a live press conference, apparently a video vault was damaged but not the film vault. The spokesperson said everything in the video vault can be replaced.

Update In another press conference, a Fire dept. spokesperson has said that New York Street, Court House Square (Back to the Future) and the King Kong ride building have been destroyed. The video vault building is currently burning but they seem to have it under control.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#7 of 35 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 04:23 AM

Watching the coverage live now. Wow. The King Kong ride through was been there a long time. New York Street can be rebuilt. I'm thinking King Kong will not return, however.

It's amazing that they're predicting the park will reopen at Noon. Me thinks it would be best to keep the public away from any lingering toxic fumes.

#8 of 35 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker
Just watched a live press conference, apparently a video vault was damaged but not the film vault. The spokesperson said everything in the video vault can be replaced.

-Keith
That spokesman was the president of Universal. The fire chief is saying that the video vault is still on fire.

I am interested in hearing what the total losses are, once a full reckoning has been made.

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#9 of 35 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 01 2008 - 05:52 AM

If Courthouse Square is destroyed, I wonder what that will mean for Ghost Whisperer next season.

#10 of 35 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 947 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 05:58 AM

I'm glad that no one has been injured and the film vault is intact!

Hasn't the Clock Tower been on fire before? I know that the Courthouse from Back to the Future Part III was struck by lightening(!) and burnt to a crisp.

#11 of 35 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,073 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
If Courthouse Square is destroyed, I wonder what that will mean for Ghost Whisperer next season.
Local LA news reported that s far Ghost Whisperer is the only production that will be directly effected. They're scheduled to shoot scenes tomorrow on the back lot, though the reporter didn't say where.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 35 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,023 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 01 2008 - 07:33 AM

The idea that anything could be lost makes my stomach turn.

It will be days or possibly weeks before the damage to the video vault can be assessed.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#13 of 35 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,052 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 01 2008 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker

That spokesman was the president of Universal. The fire chief is saying that the video vault is still on fire.

I am interested in hearing what the total losses are, once a full reckoning has been made.
According to Universal chairman Ron Meyer, they have duplicates of everything in the vault at an off-site location. However, somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 videos and reels were damaged in the fire.

#14 of 35 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,336 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 01 2008 - 11:08 AM

Haven't been to Universal Hollywood in 12 years, but I'm going back this summer with people that have never been there. Courthouse Square was probably my favorite stop on the backlot tour. Needless to say, I'm sick from hearing the news of its destruction. Posted Image

#15 of 35 LynxFX

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted June 01 2008 - 02:38 PM

Just went there for the MTV Movie Awards, was shocked to see the plumes of smoke. Didn't really get much info about what was lost, most of the focus was still on the awards. Sad day.

#16 of 35 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 01 2008 - 07:34 PM

This is aweful news! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image So much history going up in flames, I just hope they rebuild after it's all said and done.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#17 of 35 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,651 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 01 2008 - 11:24 PM

"Fortunately, nothing irreplaceable was lost," Meyer said. "The video library was affected and damaged, but our main vault of our motion picture negatives was not."

This is actually good news.

I've never been to Universal Studios. Is the old Back to the Future set an attraction now? If so, seems like they'll promptly rebuild it, and others. Still...a real shame. It'll be interesting to hear how this happened.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#18 of 35 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 02 2008 - 05:41 AM

I don't know if the BTTF set is an attraction, but it continues to be a working film set. It's been in use since the '40s and has been destroyed a few times before. Since Ghost Whisperer has apparently begun filming, I wonder what it will mean for the show. Will Melinda be moving? Doubtful, since most of the other Grandview sets remain intact.

#19 of 35 BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, this is really a shame. I was driving to church in burbank yesterday and saw the billowing smoke. Gah. It always makes my stomach turn when I see that.

#20 of 35 Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

A Very Special Ghost Whisperer, obviously.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow