What's new

TRANSFORMERS 2 Rumblings/Filming! (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Well, if this hasn't already been posted guess this is my first dibs for a thread on a sequel? Figuring I highly enjoyed the previous film and can't wait for the sequel might as well make one.

Link to Wikipedia:
Transformers 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So ten Autobots and ten Decepticons on each side for a total of 20 Cybertronians?!:eek: I'm expectant to go all wide-eyed with an even bigger grin on my face compared to the last one! Here's to hoping this'll also be another damn fun film to watch in 2009.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I was extremely disappointed to hear that John Turturro would be reprising his role in the sequel as he nearly ruined the first one for me.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The massive success of the first film ($319.2 million domestically/$707.7 million worldwide) gave director Michael Bay a much bigger canvas to play with for the sequel. Both DreamWorks and Paramount see "Transformers II" as a very safe bet to be the biggest hit movie of next summer. They're so confident that they gave Bay a budget well north of $200 million (some say the budget is between $250-$300 million).

Bay has commented that the sequel will easily be the biggest production he's ever been a part of. The movie will likely also replace the original as his biggest commercial hit ever as well. This one has huge hit written all over it.

And given how fat the toy sales were, I'm sure the two studios increased the robot count to ensure even bigger sales numbers.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
John Turturro was annoying for most part.

For the sequal I would add a nice little twist to have Turturro’s character become delusional and have the agency cut him loose so he veers off in the background and then have one of the autobots trample him during an action sequence.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
"She's a criminal, criminal's are HOT!"

How can you not love that line? ;)

Awesome that this is coming so soon after the first, the first film was a marvel to behold and I can't wait for this, especially since Bay will no doubt try to top himself again with even more Autobots and Decepticons. :cool:

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I think Turtturo's character will be toned down for the sequal since he really won't be at odds with any of the other characters....Hopefully.

I just hope Bay cuts out some of the ill timed humor and gets alittle more serious.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
So this movie is still planned for release in just over a year?

They better get crankin'....not to say they aren't, but for a movie this big, it's an interesting time scheme.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
"Sequel".:crazy:

I too thought John T's character was a bit out of place. 20 Cybertronians are what I'm looking forward most to. No lists from me of who I'd like. Up to the filmmakers to choose and with their budgeting.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So apparently this starts shooting today (as Michael Bay indicated on the MTV Movie Awards)? Seems pretty sudden. The last I heard, they were still getting a script together.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just released plot info. Here is a pic of who the Autobots will be fighting against in the sequel....

:D

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Pics of the "new and improved" Megatron from the 'Transformers' sequel...

EXCLUSIVE! The First Images Of Megatron From Transformers 2? - Movie News - Latest Movie Reviews and trailers

In other TF news, while DreamWorks and Paramount have seemingly severed most of their professional relationship, the two are still tied together with the TF franchise. As things stand right now, both studios are now expecting 'Revenge of the Fallen' to not only earn the biggest opening mark in history, but they now believe that the movie will be the biggest domestic hit of '09.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is the odds-on-favorite to take the worldwide box office crown, but studio execs feel (given what they've seen so far) that Michael Bay's highly anticipated sequel could net between $350-$400 million next summer. Word around the campfire is that the movie is far more action packed than the original and that Bay will definitely deliver the the goods with the sequel.

No one is expecting it to do 'Dark Knight' type of business, but they do feel that they'll take the opening weekend mark and earn in the neighborhood of $800-$900 million globally. The fact that the toys continue to enjoy extremely strong sales also doesn't hurt.

Long story short, both DreamWorks and Paramount feel they have the movie to beat at the summer box office next year. The studios are going to market the crap out of this thing, beginning with the teaser trailer that is expected to run with "Eagle Eye" this weekend. I've heard rumblings of at least two other trailers hitting theaters before the movie's release on June 26th. I expect to see one in March since the studios have two big movies opening that month ("The Lovely Bones" and "Monsters & Aliens"), or they could opt to run it with "Watcmen" which is expected to be next year's biggest pre-summer hit. And the final trailer will run with Paramount's "Star Trek" reboot in May. Expect a big and hugely expensive advertising blitz for the movie over the course of the next 9 months.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
It is a pretty safe bet on their part. The first movie was a huge hit, was an even bigger hit on DVD, and has sold a crap load of merchandise. Plus, of the 20 biggest opening weekends in history, only 4 are non-sequels (#5 "Spider-Man", #12 "Iron Man", #15 "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", and #19 'The Passion'). The first Spidey flick is the only non-sequel movie among the top 10 biggest opening marks in history. The first TF flick currently holds the ninth best non-sequel opening tally in history.

Given that DreamWorks and Paramount are going to very likely open TF2 on a record number of screens, on top of the fact that its a sequel to one of the biggest hit movies of '07, the two studios do believe that the movie can top the $158.4 million debut of "The Dark Knight".

Personally, I do think the movie can open north of the $150 million mark (joining TDK and Spidey 3 as the only movies to pull that off), but I think they have to stick with a Friday opening day and not be tempted to open it two days early if they have any sort of shot at that record.

With TF2, director Michael Bay essentially got a blank check to do what he wanted due the massive success of the first movie. Whether or not it actually turns out to be a good movie is up for debate, but Bay will definitely deliver much more bang for your buck this time around. He's using more robots (20 or more according to published reports) so expect many more battles, explosions, and an overall CGI spectacle on June 26th.

While Bay was stung that TF1 failed to win the FX Oscar (losing to "The Golden Compass"), his chances for success this time out are even slimmer with his idol James Cameron's "Avatar" hitting theaters in December of '09. Many have already conceded the award to Weta for their work on the movie.

Still, Bay, DreamWorks, and Paramount are very confident that TF2 will blow the hinges off of the box office next year. No one expects it to do what TDK did (earning more than $500 million domestically), but they think the movie will have more than enough juice to get to the area of $350 million.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I'm sure it will do well, but I don't think it will break records or do that much more business than the first film did. I think they shouldn't have moved so fast on the sequel, now it just feels like "more of the same," even if it's a lot more--instead of a fresh installment.

Also the first one sucked, so there's that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Like the redesign on Megatron, he's very dangerous looking. :emoji_thumbsup:

I actually hope they don't change Optimus, I loved his Truck mode in the first film.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ugh. I hated looking at these things in the first movie--too damn busy--and Megatron looks even worse now. Unfortunately, I agree with Zack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks