What's new

Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collection Edition? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am wondering why all 6 Dirty Harry films are not on the new Blu-ray collectors Edition coming out this June?

To my knowledge this is what we are getting in the Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collectors Edition:

Includes:
Dirty Harry: Two-Disc Special Edition
Magnum Force: Deluxe Edition
The Enforcer: Deluxe Edition
Sudden Impact: Deluxe Edition
The Dead Pool: Deluxe Edition
Clint Eastwood: Out Of The Shadows

I thought that The Gauntlet was part of the Dirty Harry series, or am I badly mistaken? I think that where a few films after that are similar to the Dirty Harry character but are not actually DH films. But I could have sworn that The Gauntley was an actual DH film. And if so why isn't this film part of the Dirty Harry Collection? While this most likely will not affect my purchase of the set, I am still wondering why it was not included? I plan to own this box set next week unless I hear the transfer is bad. But I can not wait to see these movies with a prestine transfers and good sound! :emoji_thumbsup:

AppleSpider

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Harry Callahan is the name of Clint Eastwood's character in the Dirty Harry films.
Ben Shockley is the name of Clint Eastwood's character in The Gauntlet.
This was found by a quick trip to the IMDB.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The Gauntlet" is not part of the DH-series.. So the topic of this thread is incorrect.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, your location tag says Phoenix, Arizona. A large part of The Gauntlet was actually filmed in Phoenix. Clint's character was a Phoenix cop.

I know it's getting hot there this time of year. Maybe you should stop by Whataburger for some ice tea. ;)

PS I grew up in Phoenix and miss it a lot. Sorry about the Suns. Go D'Backs!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I remember as a kid watching them drive that bus up the steps of the civic center.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sorry about that, I do not know why I always thought Gauntlet was a dirty harry flix. Well I guess that is why it is not included with the other films. And I must appologize about the title of the thread as I changed it over 5 times and could not come up with a good title for some reason. :frowning:

Yes it is starting to get hot and maybe that is a good idea. :laugh: ;) I have lived in the southern california area most of my life and just moved out here to Phoenix about 3 years ago. The summers are brutal and I am wondering why I really moved here. :eek:

Anyway thanks for the info on why Gauntlet is not in the collectors Blu-ray set. I will be buying it anyway most likely next week unless I see a review that says the transfers suck. I am hoping that WB gave these films the same attention to detail that they gave Blade Runner. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
And who knows - maybe Warner will see fit to release The Gauntlet on BD sometime in the next few years. Eastwood's films have always sold well for them.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

But Dave you have to admit that other than our record 110 degree day last week, its been a very mild spring.

Doug

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't ordered this set yet, the Warner online store has a coupon code deal through Saturday. The Dirty Harry BD set is 80 bucks shipped after the coupon is applied.

LONG LIVE CLINT!!!

Guy_K

Second Unit
Was excited about these haven't watched them yet but I'm sure they look great.

The packaging however is disappointing, it is an inch and a half taller than a blu-ray case, so looks abnormal on the shelf. Its thickness is also unnecessarily padded. Finally the packaging is very cheap material. Not classy at all like I had expected... don't know what they were thinking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually it's slightly less than an inch taller than a blu-ray case. Packaging isn't a big concern of mine so I'm sure other people might have a problem with it. Anyhow, off to the HT for "Dirty Harry" today followed by "The Enforcer" tomorrow.

Crawdaddy

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Robert,

Would love to hear how both Dirty Harry and The Enforcer looks. I will most likely purchase the set this Friday. But would love to hear about how good the picture looks and how they sound.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think most people are going to be very happy with "Dirty Harry" in Blu-ray. I didn't see any problems similar to the ones noted for both, "Patton" and "The Longest Day". Film grain is very apparent in this transfer as well as detail in the picture. Now, there are a few shots in which it was rather dupey, but overall, I found the transfer excellent. I played the disc with the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track and I was impressed by it with the helicopter scenes in which they were searching for Scorpio with the directional audio going from one surround to another and the sound of the 44 magnum going off.

One more thing, this film is a perfect illustration of how great a director Don Siegel was and it's too bad that he's so underrated today because he really filmed some great shots with this movie and his resume of films are among my favorites.

Also, there are at least two new documentaries on this BRD and both are presented in 1080p. I only watched one of them which was "The Shadow of Dirty Harry", but I intend to watch the other one which is about 1.5 hours long and is about Clint Eastwood's career. There are also some other docs that were from the previous SD DVD release a few years back.

Crawdaddy

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Sounds great. I'm a huge Eastwood fan, really looking forward to seeing this set although the comments on the packaging have me concerned - I hope it isn't too flimsy as it's travelling over seas to get to me!

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like they've done this one right. The gritty, urban '70s aesthetic will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I can't even begin to imagine how detrimental the clean and wax-like effects of a DNR process would be to the overall look.

Now bring on Taxi Driver, Serpico and Marathon Man! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At the end of the film in which Dirty Harry is facing off with Scorpio, you can see the beads of sweat on Eastwood's forehead and when Dirty Harry looks at his police badge, you can see the hair on his fingers.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Got mine today. I don't know why these studios feel the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to packaging. This gatefold cardboard packaging is plenty cumbersome and annoying. Give me all 5 movies in separate plastic BD cases with the booklet in the box and I'm happy. They can keep the box of junk with the toy badge. Meh.

Minor annoyance.

Looking forward to digging into these films later this week.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Dirty Harry at lunch today, but passed on the set.

Cant wait for the workday to end so I can go home at watch it.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I passed on the set as well. I watched and enjoyed Dirty Harry last night. Overall, I thought the AV quality was excellent. However, some of the night scenes look crushed to me (e.g. When Harry Callahan is looking in on 'Hot Mary' (who is anything but, by the way :laugh:)). I think it might have been my display. :frowning: I would appreciate others opinions on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks