-

Photo
- - - - -

Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collection Edition?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,196 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 04:38 PM

I am wondering why all 6 Dirty Harry films are not on the new Blu-ray collectors Edition coming out this June?

To my knowledge this is what we are getting in the Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collectors Edition:

Includes:
Dirty Harry: Two-Disc Special Edition
Magnum Force: Deluxe Edition
The Enforcer: Deluxe Edition
Sudden Impact: Deluxe Edition
The Dead Pool: Deluxe Edition
Clint Eastwood: Out Of The Shadows

I thought that The Gauntlet was part of the Dirty Harry series, or am I badly mistaken? I think that where a few films after that are similar to the Dirty Harry character but are not actually DH films. But I could have sworn that The Gauntley was an actual DH film. And if so why isn't this film part of the Dirty Harry Collection? While this most likely will not affect my purchase of the set, I am still wondering why it was not included? I plan to own this box set next week unless I hear the transfer is bad. But I can not wait to see these movies with a prestine transfers and good sound! Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   AppleSpider

AppleSpider

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 05:20 PM

Harry Callahan is the name of Clint Eastwood's character in the Dirty Harry films.
Ben Shockley is the name of Clint Eastwood's character in The Gauntlet.
This was found by a quick trip to the IMDB.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 05:22 PM

"The Gauntlet" is not part of the DH-series.. So the topic of this thread is incorrect.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   MarkBirds

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 06:33 PM

Dave, your location tag says Phoenix, Arizona. A large part of The Gauntlet was actually filmed in Phoenix. Clint's character was a Phoenix cop.

I know it's getting hot there this time of year. Maybe you should stop by Whataburger for some ice tea. Posted Image

PS I grew up in Phoenix and miss it a lot. Sorry about the Suns. Go D'Backs!!
I loves me some zombies.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBirds
Dave, your location tag says Phoenix, Arizona. A large part of The Gauntlet was actually filmed in Phoenix. Clint's character was a Phoenix cop.

I know it's getting hot there this time of year. Maybe you should stop by Whataburger for some ice tea. Posted Image

PS I grew up in Phoenix and miss it a lot. Sorry about the Suns. Go D'Backs!!

I remember as a kid watching them drive that bus up the steps of the civic center.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,196 posts

Posted May 29 2008 - 11:54 AM

Sorry about that, I do not know why I always thought Gauntlet was a dirty harry flix. Posted Image Well I guess that is why it is not included with the other films. Posted Image Posted Image And I must appologize about the title of the thread as I changed it over 5 times and could not come up with a good title for some reason. Posted Image

Quote:

Yes it is starting to get hot and maybe that is a good idea. Posted Image Posted Image I have lived in the southern california area most of my life and just moved out here to Phoenix about 3 years ago. The summers are brutal and I am wondering why I really moved here. Posted Image

Anyway thanks for the info on why Gauntlet is not in the collectors Blu-ray set. I will be buying it anyway most likely next week unless I see a review that says the transfers suck. I am hoping that WB gave these films the same attention to detail that they gave Blade Runner. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,196 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 29 2008 - 12:45 PM

And who knows - maybe Warner will see fit to release The Gauntlet on BD sometime in the next few years. Eastwood's films have always sold well for them.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 29 2008 - 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Sorry about that, I do not know why I always thought Gauntlet was a dirty harry flix. Posted Image Well I guess that is why it is not included with the other films. Posted Image Posted Image And I must appologize about the title of the thread as I changed it over 5 times and could not come up with a good title for some reason. Posted Image

Yes it is starting to get hot and maybe that is a good idea. Posted Image Posted Image I have lived in the southern california area most of my life and just moved out here to Phoenix about 3 years ago. The summers are brutal and I am wondering why I really moved here. Posted Image

Anyway thanks for the info on why Gauntlet is not in the collectors Blu-ray set. I will be buying it anyway most likely next week unless I see a review that says the transfers suck. I am hoping that WB gave these films the same attention to detail that they gave Blade Runner. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

But Dave you have to admit that other than our record 110 degree day last week, its been a very mild spring.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   MarkBirds

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted May 29 2008 - 07:54 PM

If you haven't ordered this set yet, the Warner online store has a coupon code deal through Saturday. The Dirty Harry BD set is 80 bucks shipped after the coupon is applied.

LONG LIVE CLINT!!!
I loves me some zombies.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 06:23 AM

Was excited about these haven't watched them yet but I'm sure they look great.

The packaging however is disappointing, it is an inch and a half taller than a blu-ray case, so looks abnormal on the shelf. Its thickness is also unnecessarily padded. Finally the packaging is very cheap material. Not classy at all like I had expected... don't know what they were thinking.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,632 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 02 2008 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_K
Was excited about these haven't watched them yet but I'm sure they look great.

The packaging however is disappointing, it is an inch and a half taller than a blu-ray case, so looks abnormal on the shelf. Its thickness is also unnecessarily padded. Finally the packaging is very cheap material. Not classy at all like I had expected... don't know what they were thinking.
Actually it's slightly less than an inch taller than a blu-ray case. Packaging isn't a big concern of mine so I'm sure other people might have a problem with it. Anyhow, off to the HT for "Dirty Harry" today followed by "The Enforcer" tomorrow.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,196 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hello Robert,

Would love to hear how both Dirty Harry and The Enforcer looks. I will most likely purchase the set this Friday. But would love to hear about how good the picture looks and how they sound.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,632 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 02 2008 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Hello Robert,

Would love to hear how both Dirty Harry and The Enforcer looks. I will most likely purchase the set this Friday. But would love to hear about how good the picture looks and how they sound.
I think most people are going to be very happy with "Dirty Harry" in Blu-ray. I didn't see any problems similar to the ones noted for both, "Patton" and "The Longest Day". Film grain is very apparent in this transfer as well as detail in the picture. Now, there are a few shots in which it was rather dupey, but overall, I found the transfer excellent. I played the disc with the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track and I was impressed by it with the helicopter scenes in which they were searching for Scorpio with the directional audio going from one surround to another and the sound of the 44 magnum going off.

One more thing, this film is a perfect illustration of how great a director Don Siegel was and it's too bad that he's so underrated today because he really filmed some great shots with this movie and his resume of films are among my favorites.

Also, there are at least two new documentaries on this BRD and both are presented in 1080p. I only watched one of them which was "The Shadow of Dirty Harry", but I intend to watch the other one which is about 1.5 hours long and is about Clint Eastwood's career. There are also some other docs that were from the previous SD DVD release a few years back.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 10:51 AM

Sounds great. I'm a huge Eastwood fan, really looking forward to seeing this set although the comments on the packaging have me concerned - I hope it isn't too flimsy as it's travelling over seas to get to me!

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 11:12 AM

Sounds like they've done this one right. The gritty, urban '70s aesthetic will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I can't even begin to imagine how detrimental the clean and wax-like effects of a DNR process would be to the overall look.

Now bring on Taxi Driver, Serpico and Marathon Man! Posted Image

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,632 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 02 2008 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Z.
Sounds like they've done this one right. The gritty, urban '70s aesthetic will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I can't even begin to imagine how detrimental the clean and wax-like effects of a DNR process would be to the overall look.

Now bring on Taxi Driver, Serpico and Marathon Man! Posted Image
At the end of the film in which Dirty Harry is facing off with Scorpio, you can see the beads of sweat on Eastwood's forehead and when Dirty Harry looks at his police badge, you can see the hair on his fingers.

Crawdaddy

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,196 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback Crawdaddy. Posted Image

I can not wait to own this box set on Friday.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 02:18 PM

Got mine today. I don't know why these studios feel the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to packaging. This gatefold cardboard packaging is plenty cumbersome and annoying. Give me all 5 movies in separate plastic BD cases with the booklet in the box and I'm happy. They can keep the box of junk with the toy badge. Meh.

Minor annoyance.

Looking forward to digging into these films later this week.
Death before Streaming!

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 03:27 AM

I picked up Dirty Harry at lunch today, but passed on the set.

Cant wait for the workday to end so I can go home at watch it.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ
I picked up Dirty Harry at lunch today, but passed on the set.

Cant wait for the workday to end so I can go home at watch it.

I passed on the set as well. I watched and enjoyed Dirty Harry last night. Overall, I thought the AV quality was excellent. However, some of the night scenes look crushed to me (e.g. When Harry Callahan is looking in on 'Hot Mary' (who is anything but, by the way Posted Image)). I think it might have been my display. Posted Image I would appreciate others opinions on this.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow