Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Beetlejuice 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 01:38 AM

“The Ghost with the Most!”
Now juiced with extras on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD!

Beetlejuice 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Debuts September 16
on DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi-Def
Tim Burton “Cult Classic” Starring
Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and Winona Ryder
Arrives Newly Remastered with Three Zany Episodes of
Beetlejuice TV Cartoons
Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Version also includes a Soundtrack Sampler CD
and Booklet

Burbank, Calif, May 26, 2008 – Beetlejuice, the colorful, wildly imaginative family adventure from creative genius Tim Burton, starring Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and Winona Ryder returns from the afterlife on DVD September 16 in a newly remastered 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition on DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi-Def. Packaged in a new eye-popping lenticular o-sleeve, Beetlejuice 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition will also include three Beetlejuice cartoons from the successful TV series which was produced by Burton and David Geffen and ran for four successful seasons. A visual treat in high definition, the Blu-ray™ Hi-Def version will also include a soundtrack sampler CD and collectible booklet.

Beetlejuice was brought to life from the imaginative mind of Tim Burton who went on to produce and direct some of the most visually stunning films of our time such as Batman, Edward Scissorhands, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish and most recently
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Beetlejuice also received an Academy Award® for Best Makeup with renowned makeup artist and three-time Oscar-winner Ve Neill, and went on to be ranked on AFI's Top 100 list of Funniest American Movies.

Beetlejuice 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition which streets in time for back-to-school shopping and Halloween, will sell for $19.96 SRP and the Blu-ray™ Hi-Def will be released for $34.99 SRP.

“The film is a perfect vehicle for Burton's visual style and twisted imagination, with clever ideas and gags packed into every scene. Beetlejuice is also a showcase for Keaton, who tackles the title role with maniacal relish and a dark edge of menace.” Amazon.com.

Synopsis

What’s a couple of stay-at-home ghosts to do when their beloved home is taken over by trendy yuppies? They call on Beetlejuice, the afterlife’s freelance bio-exorcist to scare off the family – and everyone gets more than she, he or it bargains for! Tim Burton guides this PG-rated comedy monsterpiece whose stars include Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, and Winona Ryder. And Michael Keaton is Beetlejuice, the ghost with the most who flings one-liners, spins into grotesque forms, gobbles insects, and who just can’t leave the ladies (living or dead) alone. Ghoul love it!

Special Features

Beetlejuice Cartoon Episodes
· A-Ha
· Skeletons In The Closet
· Spooky Boo-tique

Marketing Support

Beetlejuice will be supported by a national TV media and publicity campaign.

BEETLEJUICE 20TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION
$19.96 SRP
Blu-ray™ Hi-Def $34.99 SRP

Feature Running Time: 92 Minutes Rated: PG
16x9 Widescreen, Technicolor
Audio/Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,868 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 27 2008 - 07:32 AM

Jump in de line!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 27 2008 - 12:59 PM

very disappointing extras, the lack of them that is.
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 28 2008 - 12:26 PM

FOUL!!!

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 01:04 PM

What, No Burton/Elfman commentary? No mandatory anniversary retrospective with a bunch of talking heads?

20th anniversary half-assed edition, I says!

"It's in 'Revelations', people!!"

Posted Image
I don't like SPAM!

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 28 2008 - 01:37 PM

Half-assed edition? How about "The Cheap Buck Edition"

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,277 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 28 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hey, it's more special than the upcoming "So I Married An Axe Murderer" BD which is an SE with NO SPECIAL FEATURES.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 28 2008 - 02:02 PM

There is nothing special about this, it just goes to show that all studios now a days don't care about the quality or qaunity, just how to make a quick buck fast.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,188 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 28 2008 - 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrock17
...it just goes to show that all studios now a days don't care about the quality or qaunity, just how to make a quick buck fast.
Yeah because studios used to be in it for the art.

I would like special features but the transfer is going to be better than the DVD (which is more than a decade old) by leaps and bounds so I'm not going to whine.

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 29 2008 - 01:44 AM

Isnt the old disc a 10 year old transfer? Did it have extras? Yea, thats what i thought. I will be buying it on Blu-ray, thank you!

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 29 2008 - 08:53 AM

Pompous much Ricker?

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 29 2008 - 10:30 AM

Extras are nice, but having experienced some of Burton's previous commentaries, this edition will do just fine, thanks.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 28 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 29 2008 - 12:35 PM

Digital Bits claims it has the trailer and isolated score in addition to the 3 cartoon episodes:

"Speaking of which, we've got some details for you on Beetlejuice as well. The DVD (SRP $19.96) will feature the film fully remastered in anamorphic widescreen video, and will include Danny Elfman's score as a music-only track, the film's theatrical trailer and 3 episodes of the Beetlejuice animated series (A-Ha, Skeletons in the Closet and Spooky Boo-tique). The Blu-ray (SRP $34.99) will include all of the same, with video in 1080p high-def and audio in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. "

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted May 30 2008 - 08:05 AM

I'm lukewarm on having a commentary, unless Burton is supported by other key members of the cast or crew, but I would like to at least see some deleted scenes available.

At least two elaborate effects-heavy sequences were shot, but not used: one where Baldwin's character slips into an alternate reality, and is menaced by giant clockwork-style cogs; and an extended version of the sandworm scene, where Baldwin and Davis fall from a doorway in the sky, and are pursued by sandworms.

Photo's from both scenes were published in Cinefantastique's Batman issue.

This film deserves much better than three cartoons, and I'm disappointed that some people here don't aspire to a better Special Edition.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 30 2008 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrock17
Pompous much Ricker?

LOL that was a good one. Nope, but i like to play like i am. Posted Image

Just like you guys, i dont know why this hasnt been redone 10 times in the last 10 years like so many other titles. I am just happy to get a (hopefully) decent update in an old transfer. Shoot, id love to see Lifeforce as long as i am wishing.

But at least this thing wont street for $27 to $35 like almost every barebones FOX Blu-ray!

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted May 30 2008 - 10:06 AM

special edition would include a commentary or two, and the whole cartoon series, I'd pay extra for that.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 31 2008 - 05:48 AM

It's all about the movie for me. Extras are nice but they're just gravy.

Color me pompous too....
Death before Streaming!

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 01 2008 - 09:42 PM

I just wrote to Warner Bros. expressing my views on this release, alot that will do me, but you never know, I've written to Disney and past and have gotten a few things release from them.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,083 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 05 2008 - 08:35 AM

Warner just sent out an updated press release indicating that the Blu-Ray street date is being pushed back until October 7. The standard DVD street date remains the same (September 16).

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 01:09 AM

October is getting more and more expensive by the day.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

Forum Nav Content I Follow