What's new

Sydney Pollack has passed away (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I absolutely adore Tootsie, one of my favorite movies. And of all the directors who have acted, he's probably my favorite.

~T

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Wow- very depressing news. Not only a fine director but a hugely likable on screen persona. He was actually one of my favorite modern supporting players, though he didn't act all that much.
I didn't even realize he was ill. I'm gonna miss him.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
same here. He always seemed so vibrant and looked much younger than his years. Very sad. RIP, sir. Thanks for all the good work.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Really sad news. Tootsie is my all-time favorite comedy, and his scenes opposite Dustin Hoffman were nothing short of perfect. A really solid filmmaker (and actor) who will be missed.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
My grandma went to highschool with him and his brother Bernie back in the day. We just watched Tootsie on Friday night. I really appreciate Sydney and will continue to love his work.

All the best to his family.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Not as big a fan of Tootsie as I am of The Firm and Absence of Malice. A very diverse body of work nonetheless.

Rest In Peace.

joesolek

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Solek
I am really saddened by this news. Back in the year in which he won the Academy Award for Out of Africa, the Chicago International Film Festival hosted a tribute to him at the Biograph Theater. I got there early to secure a good seat in the auditorium and then went out to get some popcorn. While walking back to my seat, there was a man near the exit door looking nervous and pacing. I walked past him and lo and behold it was Mr. Pollack. I cautiously approached him and mentioned that I really admired his work. He thank me and proceeded to tell me how nervous he was about this evening. We chatted about what it was like to work with Robert Redford. I was struck by how down to earth he was and by his kindness and graciousness to just a fan. I have never forgot this encounter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Very sad news... one of those guys where I can't think of anything he did I didn't like. :frowning:

MikeRS

Screenwriter
So great in "Husbands And Wives".

He just recently gave a beautiful eulogy for his friend/partner, Anthony Minghella. Journalists mentioned that he was gravely ill at the time.

Very sad for both losses.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
crap, he had cancer?
I didnt realize the last film he dir was Sketches of Frank Gehry.
Sydney Pollack

the last 21 movies he dir.

21 Sketches of Frank Gehry (2005)
20 The Interpreter (2005)
19 Random Hearts (1999)
18 Sabrina (1995)
17 The Firm (1993)

16 Havana (1990/I)
15 Out of Africa (1985)
14 Tootsie (1982)
13 Absence of Malice (1981)

12 The Electric Horseman (1979)
11 Bobby Deerfield (1977)

10 Three Days of the Condor (1975)

9 The Yakuza (1974)

8 The Way We Were (1973)
7 Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

6 They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
5 Castle Keep (1969)
4 The Swimmer (1968) (uncredited)
3 The Scalphunters (1968)
2 This Property Is Condemned (1966)
1 The Slender Thread (1965)

What a run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks