Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SNL Season 4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,127 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 25 2008 - 04:07 PM

Well might as well start this thread - This should be coming out at the end of the year.

I know I'm looking forward to the Margot Kidder show and "Fred Garvin: Male Prostitute"

Just finished season 3, and 4 will be the last year with this cast, since Aykroyd and Belushi leave before season 5. Is anyone thinking of skipping season 5? Personally I'm just hoping that 4 and 5 sell well enough and that they decide to continue on and do season 6.

I think the things that might get us Season 6 is because people are definitely curious about it, and since it's 13 shows then they can fit it on 5 discs and perhaps sell it for cheaper. Also there are good musical guests, and appearances from Bill Murray etc that might put it over the edge. They can also promote it as the first season for Eddie Murphy.

But if they do skip it, what will the release for Xmas 09 be? Season 7 and skip the Doumanian year? Season 9, the all-star cast? Season 10, Lorne's first year back, or Season 11, Lorne's first good year back?

And the burning question - what sketch will be on the cover of season 4's box??
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#2 of 30 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted May 25 2008 - 04:37 PM

I agree that Season 5 pales in comparison to the previous the previous 4 "classic" years. But the loss of so many male cast members gave the women more of a chance to shine.

With regard to the potential Season 6 cover art it will likely be Eddie & Joe. However, if they are interested in truth in advertising the cover art should more likely be a toilet. Or how about the face of a VERY disappointed viewer ?
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#3 of 30 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,127 posts

Posted May 25 2008 - 04:50 PM

I don't care what they put on the cover of 6 so long as they release it! Maybe a shot of Gilbert Gottfried in a coffin?

What classic stuff might they use for Season 4 though? I forget if they have more Blues Brothers appearances in S4, since they debuted in S3, but that would be pretty natural, and maybe they'll do the Nerds for S5?

#4 of 30 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 06:35 AM

Blues Brothers would be a great choice for the cover--and it would give Dan Aykroyd the cover on every season he was in too.

I'm a completist and will likely pick up every release anyway, but there is one sketch in season 5 that I absolutely love and can't wait to get a chance to rewatch--from a Steve Martin episode, the "You've Got a Friend" sketch. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about; if not...it's a good one.

#5 of 30 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 07:40 AM

Season 5 still has Bill Murray so it's not unmarketable, not by a longshot.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#6 of 30 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,715 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 08:16 AM

I'm up for Season 5.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#7 of 30 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 01:20 PM

I'm definitely up for Seasons 4 and 5 and the Eddie Murphy years to come after that one. Actually, I want the Billy Crystal/Martin Short season as well.....I guess that covers most of the 80's. Posted Image
Recently watched- Friday The 13th(2009), The Sessions, Freddy vs. Jason, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life, Jason X, Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, Friday The 13th Pt VIII:Jason Takes Manhattan, Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Ninja II:Shadow Of A Tear, Friday The 13th Pt VII:The New Blood, Non-Stop(2014), Friday The 13th Pt VI:Jason Lives, Batman: Mystery Of The Batwoman, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker, Gettysburg(1993)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3

"The mill's closed.  There's no more work.  We're destitute...I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for scientific experiments."

#8 of 30 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 03:10 PM

This thread should probably be merged with the other existing SNL thread. That being said - I'll purchase every season. I own all the complilations and will support my favorite live action show.

#9 of 30 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 04:40 PM

A lot of casual fans will not realize that Season 5 is of lower quality than the previous four so I doubt that sales will be affected by that. But I think most people know about the "infamous" Season 6.

Retro Remixes

#10 of 30 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 11:37 PM

Season 5 isn't as bad as some people claim it is- in fact, its final show (marking the end of the 'classic' years) featured the now-legendary "Lord Douchebag" skit with Buck Henry and Harry Shearer: "Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag, and there is nothing I cannot do.". Season Six, however, was a disaster, and for curiousity's sake I'd like to see the Charlene Tilton episode when Charles Rocket (RIP) used the F-word.

The only good thing that came out of that season was the new team of Murphy and Piscopo- they would lead the show to a new age the way Belushi and Ayckroyd did a few years earlier. The great irony was that Eddie was only hired as a writer and a featured player, producer Jean Doumanian had more faith in the likes of Charles Rocket. Not only that, in choosing her cast, she passed over Jim Carrey, Cassandra "Elvira Peterson", John Goodman, and even future SNL star Dana Carvey. Believe me, the fifth year of SNL may not have Belushi and Aykroyd, but it was better than some later seasons. I am soooo looking forward to the Eddie Murphy era- don't forget, Julia Louis-Dreyfus was there, too!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#11 of 30 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,127 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 01:42 AM

I don't think that there's any doubt that 4 and 5 will do just as well. From what I've read no matter what people say about 5 being a drop in quality, it was just as big in the ratings. It's 6 that we have to wonder about. I'd love to hear what BV and Universal have in mind, if in fact they have any plans at all.

As someone that wasn't even born until the middle of season 5, I'm just loving seeing all this stuff, I remember when I was really young they used to have 30 minute sort of compilation packages and so I remember seeing a lot of this stuff then, but the first stuff I really saw personally when it was on was the Hartman-Lovitz-Carvey era.

I think considering all there is to put out they could go to 3 seasons a year, every 4 months. Starting that right now it would still take until 2022 (season 48) to catch up... So maybe 4 a year? (2017)

*sigh*

#12 of 30 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 04:12 AM

It's anybody's guess whether the non-Lorne Michaels seasons will make it to boxed sets. He had nothing to do with those years creatively, but I notice he's certainly put out generous samplings of Eddie Murphy sketches on vhs and dvd in the past, so here's hoping. I think seasons 7-9 were terrific, and season 10 had its moments as well. Season 6? Ugh. Maybe they could release it two episodes at a time, piggy-backed onto other season sets. It's really awful, believe me!!

#13 of 30 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 06:25 AM

I've seen bits and pieces of season 6--the Bill Murray episode isn't awful, but I can't say the same for the rest. IIRC, Eddie barely says a line until four or five episodes in.

Quote:
Season Six, however, was a disaster, and for curiousity's sake I'd like to see the Charlene Tilton episode when Charles Rocket (RIP) used the F-word.

I have a really lo-fi clip of the moment; if you're interested I could upload that somewhere.

#14 of 30 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 06:35 AM

Count me in for season 4 and 5. After that, I'm done with SNL. I was never that big of a fan of the show after all of the originals left.

I did see the first episode of season 6 when it originally aired and it was awful. Poor Elliot Gould. The main stage set looked great with the elevator, but the rest of the show really stunk up the room.

So once I have season 5 in hand, that's it for me and SNL.

#15 of 30 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
The only good thing that came out of that season was the new team of Murphy and Piscopo- they would lead the show to a new age the way Belushi and Ayckroyd did a few years earlier. The great irony was that Eddie was only hired as a writer and a featured player, producer Jean Doumanian had more faith in the likes of Charles Rocket. Not only that, in choosing her cast, she passed over Jim Carrey, Cassandra "Elvira Peterson", John Goodman, and even future SNL star Dana Carvey. Believe me, the fifth year of SNL may not have Belushi and Aykroyd, but it was better than some later seasons. I am soooo looking forward to the Eddie Murphy era- don't forget, Julia Louis-Dreyfus was there, too!

She passed over Paul Reubens too.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#16 of 30 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 04:42 PM

I think devoted SNL fans know all about Jean Doumanian and what she did to the show. I, too had heard that she passed over some much more interesting stars in favor of the ones that ended up in her season. Not that I'm defending her but Paul Reubens & Jim Carrey were doing more obscure and odd brands of comedy at the time and likely would not have translated well to SNL. I'd never heard about John Goodman being considered, though. And as much as I love Cassandra Peterson, I'm not sure there's much to her outside of the camp-tastic Elvira.

Retro Remixes

#17 of 30 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 10:13 AM

I was just looking over the musical guests for season 4 and if they manage to retain all of the music performances for seaon 4 it will be a miracle.

The same goes for season 5.

Since season 1 did contain the Louise Lasser episode, I'm sure we will get the Milton Berle episode even though it was pulled from syndication.

#18 of 30 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Himes
I was just looking over the musical guests for season 4 and if they manage to retain all of the music performances for seaon 4 it will be a miracle.

The same goes for season 5.

Since season 1 did contain the Louise Lasser episode, I'm sure we will get the Milton Berle episode even though it was pulled from syndication.

You know, I keep reading how this or that episode was never allowed to be shown in reruns, or never syndicated, and you know, I watched the SNL reruns pretty religiously when WGN-Channel 9 ran the one-hour version in Chicago...and I know they showed the Louise Lasser episode. The only one I am almost certain was never repeated (until E! showed a one-hour cut-down version once, which I unfortunately missed) was the Milton Berle episode.

I've read in various places on line that the Season 3 show with Mary Kay Place was not shown in syndication, but I know I saw it -- or at least I remember the "cold opening" segment, which may have been on an NBC airing of "The Best Of Saturday Night Live" during the 1979-1980 season. (So I might be wrong on that one, but I don't think so.)

Eric Idle (Season 4) also has been named by at least one online source as not having been syndicated...but I know for a fact WGN ran that one. (I am sure about this one.)

So I think the actual figure may differ depending on what rerun package we're talking about...

"Saturday Night" (syndicated one-hour version released in 1981, released through Broadway Video and Filmways) (WGN ran this in Chicago between 1981 and 1983, and WWOR ran it in the late 1980s)

"The Best Of Saturday Night" (syndicated 30-minute version, released through Broadway Video and Orion Pictures -- I saw this listed in an NATPE guide in Broadcasting magazine, saying it had 102 episodes, so there would have been four missing) (Actually, the above four mentioned episodes would account for that!)

E! one-hour reruns (some of which were different edits than the 1981 package)

NBC All Night reruns

(There are 106 total, not counting Mardi Gras)

Can anyone help me with this jigsaw puzzle? For instance, "Pre-Chew Charlie" was edited out of the one-hour 1981 syndicated version of the Season 5 episode hosted by Chevy Chase, but it was included in the half-hour "Best Of Saturday Night" version. (Actually, this is kind of a moot point now that they're doing season sets.)

#19 of 30 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,195 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 02:13 PM

I want S4 just for the episode with the Stones...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 30 FrankNolan

FrankNolan

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 28 2008 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Y
You know, I keep reading how this or that episode was never allowed to be shown in reruns, or never syndicated, and you know, I watched the SNL reruns pretty religiously when WGN-Channel 9 ran the one-hour version in Chicago...and I know they showed the Louise Lasser episode. The only one I am almost certain was never repeated (until E! showed a one-hour cut-down version once, which I unfortunately missed) was the Milton Berle episode.

I think the whole story about the Lasser show being banned from syndication is pretty much SNL urban legend. I know it aired many, many times on Nick-At-Nite and Comedy Central as part of the "Best Of Saturday Night." I even remember which sketches were included: the cold opening; the monologue; the Bergman spoof; and the bit where Belushi tries to sell his clothes.

Quote:
I've read in various places on line that the Season 3 show with Mary Kay Place was not shown in syndication, but I know I saw it -- or at least I remember the "cold opening" segment, which may have been on an NBC airing of "The Best Of Saturday Night Live" during the 1979-1980 season. (So I might be wrong on that one, but I don't think so.)

This also aired as a "Best Of SN" - it's on a tape I have of a Nick-At-Nite SNL marathon from around the time of SNL's 15th anniversary. I think some people are simply confusing Place with Lasser since they both appeared on "Mary Hartman."

Quote:
Eric Idle (Season 4) also has been named by at least one online source as not having been syndicated...but I know for a fact WGN ran that one. (I am sure about this one.)

I've never heard this. It would be pretty hard to leave out since it includes the famous "Julia Child" sketch. Again, I know it was on "Best Of SN."

Quote:
"The Best Of Saturday Night" (syndicated 30-minute version, released through Broadway Video and Orion Pictures -- I saw this listed in an NATPE guide in Broadcasting magazine, saying it had 102 episodes, so there would have been four missing) (Actually, the above four mentioned episodes would account for that!)

Are you sure it wasn't 103? The only ones I don't ever remember seeing were Berle, Dyan Cannon and Kris Kristofferson. There were a few Halloween and Christmas-themed episodes that didn't air much beyond the holidays, but they did air.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow