What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Jumper (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_1881139.jpg">

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
yeah the movie surprised me too. i'm actually wanting to watch it again for a second time (I don't get to do that often with my tight schedule)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was seriously thinking of giving this one a try until I read

After I read that, I have decided to avoid the film. If his awful acting has not improved since the Star wars prequels then he needs to find a new line of work.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

Actually, for this film his acting style "works". The reason I say that is because Christensen comes accross as slightly insecure on screen. Maybe that is his acting style that just doesn't change no matter the movie or role he plays. I say the same thing for Samuel L. Jackson who I believe to be a terrible actor.

Christensen's 'style' works for this film because his character calls for it. So, if he's good at being modest, shy, and insecure, it fits perfectly for this film so it works. I never once thought "man, he's terrible!" The movie was perfectly fine with him cast for the role and I think he will do well for the next two Jumper films should they ever be released. His style just didn't work for the Star Wars prequels. While Jar-Jar could be removed...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll blind buy this just because it looks like a fun popcorn film, a good escape from reality for 88 minutes.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Jumper IS Fox. I always end up waiting for a sale for their titles too. Lately about the best I've done is 19.99.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Wow, that's a helluva statement. I love SLJ and especially when he's delivering Tarantino's dialogue(Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown). To each their own.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Fox seems to forget that their biggest competition to their over-priced BRD's is still SD. I'll probably pay $18 or less for the SD rather than over 55% more for the BRD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i liked it.
was a fun one to watch and hear.

was worth a rental and if it wasn't a fox title would be a good buy.

the only thing that took me out a bit was the palladen(sp) thing.
what was their reasoning.
people shouldnt have that power, only god should.
But these people have decided they have the power to choose who should die.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This was easily one of the most negatively reviewed films released in 2008 to date, and I have to admit that I do not understand why. My assessment is more in line with Michael's. It's not filet mignon, but it is a pretty decent hamburger.

I think the main problem with the film is that at its core, it really wants to be a story targeted to tween boys and their families along the lines of the juvenile book from which it was loosely adapted, but the filmmakers added just enough elements of sex and brutal violence to push it into PG-13 territory to ostensibly give it a more adult sensibility. I think they would have been better off letting the film be what it seemd to want to be. I do not have a problem with their wholesale revisions to the plot which are actually pretty creative and fun. It's more with their approach to presenting things.

In any case, that relatively minor criticism did not affect my ability to enjoy it as a fast moving popcorn chomping entertainment.

Regards,

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Well, it certainly isn't keeping anyone from renting this movie. The BD has been Very Long Wait on Netflix since it came out. :frowning:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Easily worth the purchase, a very fun enjoyable popcorn movie with awesome PQ and SQ. I really enjoyed the ride. If anything, it could have been longer to get into more story.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am one who hopes more are made, movies like this are right up my alley, turn your brain off and enjoy the ride.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

as for whether they are right or wrong, they've justified their existence to themselves and that's enough for them. maybe they've known evil Jumpers throughout time. maybe John Wilkes Booth was a jumper. maybe Oswald was a jumper. maybe the biggest drug traffickers are jumpers. who knows? as for who becomes a Paladin, it's probably people who's loved ones have been killed by evil jumpers.

btw if this move wanted to be more realistic, they should just shoot the jumpers after they first get zapped. (ahh, but maybe that would create an uncollapsable wormhole or something, and they have to continuously electrocute them until all the jumping energy is depleted...? :P )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks