Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lets send Disney the message that uncensored material sells and buy Mickey and SS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 09:16 PM

If we ever want to see uncensored versions of Fantasia, Melody Time, Saludos Amigos, and Make Mine Music, and ever hope to see Song of the South at all, we Disney fans must send Disney a message next Tuesday: uncensored material sells and the public understands that times were different back then in regards to racial sensativity and are not offended by historically accurate material. I'm guessing that the release of the original Three Little Pigs especially is an experiment by Disney to see if such material will sell because it was censored by Disney himself. I know Roy Disney has expressed that he would like to release uncensored versions of the above 5 minus Fantasia so if this sells well those 4 are probably a done deal and the chances of an unedited Fantasia will increase greatly. How perfect would it be if they released an unedited version with the original Deems Taylor dialog? It would complement the boxed set perfectly. So Tuesday, let's do it!

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 10:50 PM

Quote:
How perfect would it be if they released an unedited version with the original Deems Taylor dialog?

Didn't they change the dialog because the orinigal was in such a bad shape?

Besides, I plan to buy SS, I can't afford anymore at the moment, but I have to get these classics...
A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 11:59 PM

Frankly, I will have to wait until after Christmas to buy these...they might be under the tree.

If they aren't, I will own them by the 1st paycheck of the new year!!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 12:47 AM

Deems Taylors dialog was in fine shape for the parts that have appeared on video previously. This version of Fantasia however has the complete original roadshow narration, not the abridged narration that was on all previous video release. But the audio for the parts of the narration that were restored for the dvd no longer exist or have yet to be rediscovered so instead of patching in the missing audio with a voice that obviously didn't match, they just decided to rerecord the entire dialog.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 30 2001 - 04:13 AM

I preordered my Mickey and SS discs.

It is ironic that every child ever weaned on Disney knows "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" by heart but 99% of them have never seen the film from whence it came. Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 30 2001 - 04:46 AM

Quote:
we Disney fans must send Disney a message next Tuesday
I sent them my message a month ago when I pre-ordered. Posted Image I'm hoping that they sell well and the folks working on the WB & MGM animated shorts receive a message or two as well.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 06:59 AM

Are these DVDs limited issue? I also have to wait until after Christmas to buy any more dvds, and am worried that they'll be gone.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Are these DVDs limited issue? I also have to wait until after Christmas to buy any more dvds, and am worried that they'll be gone.

I believe they are limited to 150,000 each.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 07:10 AM

sorry to be lost but what movie is SS?

Thanks and sorry for not guessing the abreviation.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeff_P

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 07:33 AM

Rolando,

I could be wrong but my best guess is the Silly Symphonies.

Jeff_P

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 07:39 AM

Got Disneyland USA the other day. The tins are Very cool, this is what Anchor Bay needs to start using. The edition number is Embossed in the tin cover!

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 07:56 AM

Hey Mark, I see you're from Indy....where did you find the Disneyland DVD early?

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 08:14 AM

SS=Silly Symphonies. Ran out of room on subject line.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 07 2001 - 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing that the release of the original Three Little Pigs especially is an experiment by Disney to see if such material will sell because it was censored by Disney himself.
The uncensored Three Little Pigs does not appear on the disc. During a Leonard Maltin introduction, you get a glimpse of the cut footage, but it is not a choice to watch the short as originally produced.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted December 07 2001 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, I was bummed to find that out. Someone posted that both versions would be on the disc with an introduction about stereotypes in movies in the 30's by Maltin. Oh well at least we get a glimpse. I don't understand why they would show most of the footage but not include the complete original. Still the Mickey and Silly Symphonies are gems. 63 cartoons at about 77 cents each doesn't suck!

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 03:35 AM

I am sure Disney is well aware the uncensored material would sell - the decisions they have made are certainly based upon the concept of public relations/reputation maintenance.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow