What's new

Odd Behavior about Internet Speed on different Browsers (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Need some help about odd behavior from my Browsers.

WinXP -- older AMD CPU (2200+ or so)
TWC Roadrunner Basic

TWC recently emailed me about an increase in their Basic download speed from 5 to 7Mbps so I decided to run speedtest.net just to see. Shocked me to see my times around 3500 for the most part using Firefox which was pretty typical when I checked a few months ago. I was at another computer in the house and ran the test again and found I was pushing around 6800 through Firefox (and then checked the laptop with the same high 6K results).

Now back to the original computer and tried Internet Explorer 7 and found my download speeds were 6700-6800 and Firefox continued to give me mid 3K. This would seem to rule out the router, computer hardware, network cables, etc since the only difference was the Browser used. I've updated Firefox numerous times over the last couple years through all the 1.x, 2.x, and just recently went to the new 3.0.

OK, so maybe something with 3.0 is messing things up so I uninstalled Firefox, deleted all the Mozilla and Firefox entries both on the hard drive and even cleaned the registry of all old Moz/FF items. Reloaded the FF 2.4(?) identical to the Browser the other computers (2 other desktops actually) and the laptop were using and still no change. Reinstalled FF 3.0 and still no diff -- FF still tests 3300-3500, Explorer 6500-6800. I tried a couple other speed tests (CNET Bandwidth Monitor and ?Speakeasy) just to confirm and I still see about 50% results.

Any thoughts b/c I'm perplexed? This is plain vanilla FF and I haven't used any of the tweaks that were commonly discussed a year or so ago on any of the computers.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I tested both at speedtest.net

FireFox 2.0
Down 1459
Up 500

Internet Explorer 7
Down 1462
Up 489

Not much difference.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure it's not Firefox itself since my other 3 computers the download speeds for IE6/7 and FF 2 or 3 are equal. It's just this one computer and I'm baffled as to why.

I even put a spare hard drive into the computer and did a clean install of XP leaving out almost all the extra software (XP + FF) and still the same behavior so I'm not even sure what to even look at.

The best news is that my actual file download speeds seem consistent with the other computers on the system so no real harm done except messing with my head as to why the test is messed up.

AttilaB

Auditioning
Real Name
AttilaB
I know I'm responding a year later :P
Just letting you know it IS the browser/plugins/speedtest(html) you have and use and not the actual internet speed.

constantoo

Auditioning
Real Name
constantoo
hi,
me too feeling the same , my Chrome seems to be working with great speed, but when cheking the speed ( http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ ) the chrome is has 20% more download speed than other browsers .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks