Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season (DVD/Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,074 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 09:31 AM

PUSHING DAISIES THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED, GOLDEN GLOBE-NOMINATED TELEVISON SERIES SPRINGS TO LIFE ON DVD AND BLU-RAY˙ HI-DEF SEPTEMBER 16, 2008 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO Collector‚s Set to Showcase Nine Episodes on Three Discs with Never-Before-Seen Bonus Features DVD Release Timed to the Show‚s Second Season Premiere BURBANK, CA (May 27, 2008) ˆ „Original,‰ „rewarding,‰ „enchanting‰ and „clever‰ are some of the ways in which critics describe Pushing Daisies, the innovative and imaginative new series from Bryan Fuller (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Heroes) and Barry Sonnenfeld (Men in Black), which makes its highly-anticipated DVD and Blu-ray˙ hi-def debut on September 16, 2008 from Warner Home Video (WHV). Pushing Daisies follows the charming and whimsical story of Ned (Lee Pace), a handsome, lonely, young pie maker who possesses a mysterious gift -- bringing people back from the dead with his touch. The DVD will feature all nine episodes from the series‚ first season, along with a bonus interactive featurette. Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season will be available in both standard and Blu-ray˙ hi-def formats. The standard format DVD will retail for $29.98 and the Blu-ray˙ hi-def format will retail for $39.99. Presented in visually stunning, storybook-like cinematography, Pushing Daisies follows the offbeat escapades of Ned, a young man who during his childhood discovers he has the ability of bringing the dead back to life with a single touch. First, he resurrects his golden retriever Digby after he is hit by a truck, and later brings his own mother back to life after she suffers an aneurism. But there is a caveat to Ned‚s unusual talent. If something that he‚s revived remains living for more than one minute, then something of similar life value within the vicinity will die. Additionally, if he touches the resurrected a second time, that life will die again, but permanently ˆ a stipulation which proves to be a great strain when Ned brings his childhood sweetheart, a beautiful girl named Chuck (Anna Friel), back to life. Ned inherits his mother‚s baking talents, becomes a pie maker and opens a restaurant called the Pie Hole, which he runs with kooky waitress Olive Snook (Tony Award winner Kristin Chenoweth). The restaurant however, begins to fail financially and Ned finds an unusual way to earn money via Private Investigator Emerson Cod (Chi McBride), who accidentally discovers Ned‚s gift and makes a proposal ˆ to bring murder victims back to life in order to inquire about the circumstances of their death. After collecting the facts, Emerson solves their cases and splits the reward money with Ned. The series also stars Emmy® winner Swoosie Kurtz and Tony Award nominee Ellen Greene, and is narrated by Jim Dale (Harry Potter audio books). „Pushing Daisies is one of the most original and imaginative television programs airing on television today and we are pleased to bring this highly acclaimed series to DVD,‰ commented Rosemary Markson, WHV Vice President, TV & Special Interest Marketing. She added, „Consumers will find themselves captivated by the show‚s intelligent and witty dialogue, gorgeous cinematography, offbeat storylines and quirky but endearing characters. Pushing Daisies is sure to liven up anyone‚s home entertainment library.‰ Pushing Daisies originally premiered October 3, 2007 on ABC and has recently been picked up for a second season. The show earned three Golden Globe Award nominations, including Best Television Series ˆ Musical or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series ˆ Musical or Comedy for Lee Pace and Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series ˆ Musical or Comedy by Anna Friel. The release of Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season is timed to the second season premiere of the show on ABC. From Living Dead Guy Productions, The Jinks/Cohen Company in association with Warner Bros. Television, Pushing Daisies is executive produced by Dan Jinks & Bruce Cohen, Barry Sonnenfeld, Bryan Fuller and Peter Ocko. DVD Special Features Include: ™ Pie Time - Time for Pie ˆ An interactive featurette with creators of the show, the set designer and special effects team who all come together to make this show so unique. Special interviews from creator Bryan Fuller and Lee Pace as they discuss their favorite first season scenes.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 10:49 AM

Great news on the Blu-ray release. The show looked great in HD. I'll definitely be picking this up.

#3 of 6 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,074 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 10:13 PM

I will agree that this is one television show that needs to be seen in High Definition. Very nice to see that this is being given the BD treatment. That being said, I felt this show ran out of steam rather quickly. When it first premiered I quickly fell in love with its production style and storytelling. It wasn't long, however, that I realized the show was more of the same week after week. After six episodes I stopped watching.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted May 25 2008 - 02:36 AM

Man, I may need a Blu-Ray player just for this show. Good to hear it is coming out sooner rather then later. I just wish it was coming out earlier than September, as the show has been off-the-air for quite a while now and ABC hasn't been re-running them (outside of the ABC website).
Go to see the film An Inconvenient Truth - one of the most important films of a generation.

Watch the I've Got Munchies podcast.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 09:36 AM

Glad to hear about the Blu-ray release. I would have passed had it only been DVD. After seeing it in HD, I can't imagine watching it any other way.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Dustin James

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 11:43 AM

LOL. So close Ron! Because of the writer's strike, Season 1 only has 9 episodes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users