What's new

So You Think You Can Dance: Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The season got of to a tremendous start, one of the best audition shows so far. It's set up similarly to the Idol auditions, a mix of talented hopefuls, deluded weirdos, sob stories, and untalented narcicists who want to see themselves on TV.

The breakers and bboys are always highlights. Some of the physical feats of strength and flexibility are simply amazing.

There was one popper at the end of the show whose 10 minute segment was so superhumanly incredible and so endlessly entertaining that it was a greater experience than the total sum highlights of this past Idol. It was 10 minutes of "I can't wipe the smile off of my face" joy, and my wife actually starting clapping.

As a side note, the judges are sooo much better than Idol -- Nigel gives the Simonesque acerbic criticisms, but Mary trumps Paula in every way and the third rotating judge is trumps anything Randy says or does.

Auditions continue Mon, Wed, and Thurs.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I've taped the episode, which will be my first ever. I'm holding you responsible for my enjoyment.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I love about So You Think You Can Dance is that unlike the rambling incoherence of the American Idol judges, the Dance judges actually give good, useful, constructive criticism. I like Nigel in particular because while he can be blunt, he is honest and makes sense.

I also really admire Mia Michaels. Her choreography of some of last season's dance routines were just astounding.The segment last night with the blind girl was incredibly moving and emotional--and this was just the auditions!

You know, a lot of times, especially this season, after I watch Idol, I just feel frustrated because it's such a grind to get through. With Dance, after watching, I feel really great, like I watched something rewarding and entertaining in that put-a-smile-on-your-face kind of way.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
MSNBC has an article on So You Think You Can Dance vs American Idol.

The contortionist at the end of the episode was simply excellent TV. And seeing the one judge jumble up "sex" and "success" was just priceless.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
We love this show. The popper at the end was amazing, loved the slo-mo ticket grab-hug. And while Nigel does the "Simon" bit some, unlike Simon he truly seems to enjoy himself.

One FYI, it appears that Monday's show is just a repeat of the 2 hour premier, which is good for those that missed it.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
We watched some of the auditions last year, but never got into the show itself. I plan on watching again, based on your suggestion. So far the first episode was decent I relaly did enjoy the break dancers and of course I got a big kick out of "Sex".

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Aside from the usual reasons for the auditions, their biggest purpose is to be a showcase for the breakdancers who are wickedly entertaining but typically don't make it through due to their lack of formal training. Typically, the other dancers all have formal training and can follow choreography, but the breakers are behind the 8 ball at this stage -- they even have trouble executing hip hop choreography.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Just as I would have expected. The movie Breakin' touched on that a bit. In some ways, so did the movie White Nights. I've casually watched break dancing since the early days, and I've also seen what is taught in "Hip Hop" dancing in performing arts schools (think Justin Timberlake). It's all interesting to me. At the very least, break dancers watching the show should learn more of what it takes over time. Also, the ones that don't advance will grow even through rejection.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I gave this a try & will keep watching, at least for now.

The idea that there's more talent than on Idol is laughable. It's totally different stuff- how can you compare them?

I don't see the praise for Nigel. What are his qualifications to judge dancers? Does he have a dance background? At least Simon has experience in signing artists, so he is qualified to judge singers, even though he isn't one himself.

Who are the female judges? Are they so famous they need no introduction, because I had no idea who they are?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Nigel Lythgoe is both an accomplished dancer and choreographer, both on stage as well as on television. I wouldn't trust the wikipedia article on him for accuracy (of course), but his actual resume is pretty impressive.

Mary Murphy (the brunette judge) is the other permanant judge (barring the odd episode due to emergency, etc), and is a famous (champion) ballroom dancer, and choreographer. I think she also runs a dance studio in the US.

Mia Michaels was the other female judge from the first episode this season, and is one of the "big name" choreographers on the show. They generally have one of the choreographers also act as the third judge during the performance shows, and cycle through them seemingly at random (based on availability I assume) during the auditions.

Other third judges include Shane Sparks, who does mostly hip-hop and the like, Alex Da Silva, who appears rarely but does Salsa etc, and my personal favourite choreographer on the show, Wade Robson. Robson's routines are generally held up, along with Michaels', as the best of the show, and I agree.

Of course there are numerous other choreographers, but that gives you the gist :)

cheers!

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, just so this thread is not a complete love fest ;) I want to post my opinion after watching the show for the first time last night.

Personally, I don't get it. The very best performances, that I saw (including the one linked to above) are entertaining, but no more than a good street performance, or for entertaining at a birthday party. Maybe, I just am not into dance, but I just didn't find any of it that interesting, and most of it downright awful.

As for the judges, between the one lady sobbing, and the other one screeching constantly, I couldn't watch this show, even if I found the performances enthralling. I swear, that middle brunette judge is the most annoying person I have ever seen, her constant cackling is enough to drive anyone insane.

Sorry to thread crap, but I would take AI over this stuff any day, from the performances, to the judges. Hanson has certainly posted enough derogatory remarks about AI that I think I am entitled to post my feelings here. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
C'mon -- did anyone know who Randy Jackson was before Idol? They do mention they are choreographers -- do they need a CV to justify anything else? Plus, they mentioned that Mia won an Emmy for a routine in season 2. I think that speaks for itself.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Randy Jackson played with Journey and worked with Mariah, dawg.

> Personally, I don't get it. The very best performances, that I saw (including the one linked to above) are entertaining, but no more than a good street performance, or for entertaining at a birthday party. Maybe, I just am not into dance, but I just didn't find any of it that interesting, and most of it downright awful.

I think it's like Idol, where in early episodes they deliberately show some of the bad performances.

Also some stuff that's considered dance now isn't vary dance-like in the traditional sense. Imagine if people 100 years ago saw someone break dance, rolling on the floor, etc.- they probably wouldn't have thought of that as dancing.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Are you sure this is true?

If it was, wouldn't Randy mention it every now and then? I don't ever recall him talking about it.

Such a modest guy!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
As I understand it, it's a matter of form and extension. You need a high level of body control and kinesthetic sense to achieve it. Having a dancer's body doesn't hurt (being slender and long legged is a definite advantage).

One of the things I notice is that, as dancers, the judges appreciate high degrees of difficulty that may not come across as impressive to many viewers. But the ability to pull of such moves means they are well suited to choreography. Keep in mind that these are dancers and not choreographers, and not all of these routines from the good dancers are all that entertaining. That will come later. Conversely, many of the entertaining dancers can't do choreography.

One of the dancers who made it to Vegas looked like Jamie Pressly with acromegaly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks