What's new

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Title: Captain America: The First Avenger

Tagline: When patriots become heroes

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Joe Johnston

Cast: Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Toby Jones, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke, Bruno Ricci, J.J. Feild, Kenneth Choi, Richard Armitage, Stanley Tucci, Samuel L. Jackson, Lex Shrapnel, Michael Brandon, Martin Sherman, Natalie Dormer, Oscar Pearce, William Hope, Nicholas Pinnock, Marek Oravec, David Bradley, Leander Deeny, Sam Hoare, Simon Kunz, Kieran O'Connor, Jenna Coleman, Sophie Colquhoun, Doug Cockle, Ben Batt, Mollie Fitzgerald, Damon Driver, David McKail, Amanda Walker, Richard Freeman, Katherine Press, Sergio Covino, Marcello Walton, Anatole Taubman, Jan Pohl, Erich Redman, Rosanna Hoult, Naomi Slights, Kirsty Mather, Laura Haddock, James Payton, Ronan Raftery, Nick Hendrix, Luke Allen-Gale, Jack Gordon, Ben Uttley, Patrick Monckeberg, Amanda Righetti, Stan Lee

Release: 2011-07-22

Runtime: 124

Plot: During World War II, Steve Rogers is a sickly man from Brooklyn who's transformed into super-soldier Captain America to aid in the war effort. Rogers must stop the Red Skull – Adolf Hitler's ruthless head of weaponry, and the leader of an organization that intends to use a mysterious device of untold powers for world domination.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
"Avengers movie, which follows six weeks later"

Someone over there can't count, since May 6 - July 1 is eight weeks.

Of course, Marvel is bad at counting time. They celebrated the fifth anniversary of their Marvel Knights imprint (that started in 1998) in 2004.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
While I am pleased to hear that Captain American will be a WWII period piece, I find the title stupid, marketing-synergy be damned.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Worst title EVER.

I'm hoping they can pull this off. I've been dreaming up a WWII era Cap flick for the longest time. So I'm praying they can handle this very well. I want an epic filled with emotion, gravitas, all that junk. I want to be brought to tears during the eventual scene where Cap gives his life for his country (which'll probably end up with him on ice, but y'know...).

For some reason, the way I'm dreaming it up, I'd like to see a nice montage of America's reaction to having Cap fighting overseas with the boys - the good ol' propaganda machine. I want to see a scene where a soldier shows Cap a comic book featuring Cap as its hero, with that cover of him throwing a punch at Hitler. This could so easily end up as a by-the-numbers action flick set during the war. I just hope whoever they get to do this remembers to put some heart into it.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'd like them to do both- start it as a period piece and then move to modern day a bit into the film- Cap's reaction to the America of today should be some pretty fertile ground.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
We all thought Batman Begins was a pretty lame title, and look how that turned out.

I'm glad to hear Cap is WWII completely. Then, revive him in Avengers (especially since it's only going to be coming out two months later), and show his issues adjusting to society in that movie and the Cap sequel. Obviously, this "man out of time" motif hasn't been around for his entire history, so why should every movie show that?

If they incorporate many elements from Ed Brubaker's current run, they can have a great movie.

Bucky: "Cap having fun?"
Cap: "I have fun. Remember when I punched Hitler?"
Bucky: "Yeah."
Cap: "That was fun."

Then, Cap 2 or 3 should include the Winter Soldier plot.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
While it's cool to see they have a masterplan incorporating multiple properties, there is a cause for concern. With such tight orchestration of the release dates their first priority in all this is to make the release date. Making a great or even good movie is going to be secondary to that. I'm not saying they'll set out to make bad movies, just that issues of quality (with the stories and production) will take a backseat because there will be not only associated movies here, but huge marketing tie-in campaigns that are going to be tightly orchestrated too.
to me that's not an insurmountable challange- I would easily accept lower production values for more interesting and imaginative stories. Economy and efficency is not anathema to great movie-making (as Raiders well illustrates).
just something to keep in mind. I hope these all turn out great, but it's going to a huge headache for some people keeping all these plates on the poles and spinning.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
And it's all three years down the road. And release dates aren't completely set in stone so far in advance.

Plus, I'm sure the movie division is much more conscious of release dates than their comic counterparts.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Know what would be great? Have the world war 2 movie, then after the credits, have him floating in the ice and have Iron Mans arm reach out to recover it. Perfect lead in to an AVENGERS movie.

I'm available for hire Marvel, just email me.... :P

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I always liked Jumanji and Jurassic Park III. I am curious about his remake of The Wolf Man. That one could turn out to be really good. But overall, he's a good choice, I think (better than the rumored McG for Wonder Woman).
By the way, is Matthew Vaughn attached to any of the Marvel adaptations, at the moment? I thought he was going to direct Ant-Man, but I'm not sure.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Depends - do you count Kick-Ass as Marvel?

Vaughn was never on Ant Man - that's been Edgar Wright for as long as it's been kicking around - but he was on Thor and X-Men 3 at points.

Very glad to see Johnston with the job; he's just about ideal.

AkashPrakash

Auditioning
Real Name
AkashPrakash
Communication is Everything
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also, the rumor going around is that part of Monday's big release of Captain America #600 will be some casting information. Supposedly, Marvel's doing a Monday release (comics regularly come out on Wednesdays) because there's news coverage timed to coincide with it, possibly something bigger than what's happening in the comics. They've done a pretty good job of keeping that under wraps - there's indications that original Cap Steve Rogers is coming back, or the teen-girl Bucky from "Heroes Reborn" is going to appear, but neither of those seem big enough to make the wider world sit up and take notice.

The crazy, but big enough, rumor is that Marvel is going to revisit the themes of Robert Morales & Kyle Baker's Truth: Red, White, and Black, which posited that the Super-Soldier serum was tested on African-American soldiers before being given to Steve Rogers - both in comics and the upcoming movie, with someone like Will Smith cast in the lead. I kind of like the idea, but it would certainly be controversial - Johnston would have to make a damn good movie to get folks to accept it, although a lot of that resistance would probably vanish if Ed Brubaker spends the next year and a half making comics about Isiah Bradley that are as good as the ones he's made about Bucky Barnes.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/esearch/e3i84347827022cc793ce558ba986c2e3b9?pn=2
That "next job" is the much-anticipated The First Avenger: Captain America, featuring the Marvel Comics superhero created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby in 1940 for Marvel's forerunner, Timely Comics. "We're in prep," Johnston says. "Rick Heinrichs is production-designing and we're set up down in Manhattan Beach [California]. It's the part of the process that I love the most," he enthuses. "We have eight or ten really talented artists, and we all just sit around all day and draw pictures and say, 'Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?' It's that phase of the production where money doesn't matter: ‘Let's put all the greatest stuff up on the wall and [then later] see what we can afford.'" The film, he says at this early stage, will begin "in 1942, 1943" during World War II. "The stuff in the ’60s and ’70s [comic books] we're sort of avoiding. We're going back to the ’40s, and then forward to what they're doing with Captain America now."
I am getting really excited now

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The crazy, but big enough, rumor is that Marvel is going to revisit the themes of Robert Morales & Kyle Baker's Truth: Red, White, and Black, which posited that the Super-Soldier serum was tested on African-American soldiers before being given to Steve Rogers - both in comics and the upcoming movie, with someone like Will Smith cast in the lead."

Please no.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JonZ

"The crazy, but big enough, rumor is that Marvel is going to revisit the themes of Robert Morales & Kyle Baker's Truth: Red, White, and Black, which posited that the Super-Soldier serum was tested on African-American soldiers before being given to Steve Rogers - both in comics and the upcoming movie, with someone like Will Smith cast in the lead."

Please no.

no to which part?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think Joe Johnston is a good choice for this movie. One thing I would hope they change: the title. Gotta get rid of that "First Avenger" stuff. I know it is supposed to tie in with the Avengers movie, but audiences are smarter than that. The "X-Men Origins" title on Wolverine last summer was too cumbersome, and made the movie seem more of a product than a movie.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks