-

Photo
- - - - -

The First Avenger : Captain America May 6th, 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
172 replies to this topic

#1 of 173 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 21 2008 - 09:12 PM

http://www.scifi.com....ory=0&id=54651

Quote:
Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, confirmed that the upcoming The First Avenger: Captain America will be a World War II period piece, like the comic book on which it is based, and he shot down a rumor that Matthew McConaughey was in line to play the hero.

Feige, speaking to online journalists at Universal Studios on May 21, added that Captain America would help set up the eventual Avengers movie, which follows six weeks later. (Feige also confirmed what many fans have speculated: That the star-shaped object in Tony Stark's workshop in Iron Man is indeed part of Cap's famous shield.)

Feige also talked about the upcoming Thor movie, confirming that it will take place mostly in Asgard, the mythical Norse realm of the gods, and not in the contemporary real world. "The film is not all Asgard, but it will be a big chunk in Asgard, yeah," Feige said.

Feige promised an announcement about a director for Thor "later this summer." Mark Protosevich (The Cell) is drafting a script, which should be submitted in a couple of weeks, he added.

Feige also confirmed release dates for Marvel's future slate of superhero movies: Iron Man 2 on April 30, 2010; Thor on June 4, 2010; The First Avenger: Captain America on May 6, 2011; and The Avengers on July 1, 2011.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 173 OFFLINE   Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 22 2008 - 05:54 AM

"Avengers movie, which follows six weeks later"

Someone over there can't count, since May 6 - July 1 is eight weeks.

Of course, Marvel is bad at counting time. They celebrated the fifth anniversary of their Marvel Knights imprint (that started in 1998) in 2004.

#3 of 173 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 22 2008 - 05:57 AM

While I am pleased to hear that Captain American will be a WWII period piece, I find the title stupid, marketing-synergy be damned.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 173 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 23 2008 - 02:06 PM

Worst title EVER.

I'm hoping they can pull this off. I've been dreaming up a WWII era Cap flick for the longest time. So I'm praying they can handle this very well. I want an epic filled with emotion, gravitas, all that junk. I want to be brought to tears during the eventual scene where Cap gives his life for his country (which'll probably end up with him on ice, but y'know...).

For some reason, the way I'm dreaming it up, I'd like to see a nice montage of America's reaction to having Cap fighting overseas with the boys - the good ol' propaganda machine. I want to see a scene where a soldier shows Cap a comic book featuring Cap as its hero, with that cover of him throwing a punch at Hitler. This could so easily end up as a by-the-numbers action flick set during the war. I just hope whoever they get to do this remembers to put some heart into it.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 173 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 02:16 PM

I'd like them to do both- start it as a period piece and then move to modern day a bit into the film- Cap's reaction to the America of today should be some pretty fertile ground.

#6 of 173 OFFLINE   Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 03:45 PM

We all thought Batman Begins was a pretty lame title, and look how that turned out.

I'm glad to hear Cap is WWII completely. Then, revive him in Avengers (especially since it's only going to be coming out two months later), and show his issues adjusting to society in that movie and the Cap sequel. Obviously, this "man out of time" motif hasn't been around for his entire history, so why should every movie show that?

If they incorporate many elements from Ed Brubaker's current run, they can have a great movie.

Bucky: "Cap having fun?"
Cap: "I have fun. Remember when I punched Hitler?"
Bucky: "Yeah."
Cap: "That was fun."

Then, Cap 2 or 3 should include the Winter Soldier plot.

#7 of 173 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 09:48 PM

While it's cool to see they have a masterplan incorporating multiple properties, there is a cause for concern. With such tight orchestration of the release dates their first priority in all this is to make the release date. Making a great or even good movie is going to be secondary to that. I'm not saying they'll set out to make bad movies, just that issues of quality (with the stories and production) will take a backseat because there will be not only associated movies here, but huge marketing tie-in campaigns that are going to be tightly orchestrated too.
to me that's not an insurmountable challange- I would easily accept lower production values for more interesting and imaginative stories. Economy and efficency is not anathema to great movie-making (as Raiders well illustrates).
just something to keep in mind. I hope these all turn out great, but it's going to a huge headache for some people keeping all these plates on the poles and spinning.

#8 of 173 OFFLINE   Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 24 2008 - 05:56 AM

And it's all three years down the road. And release dates aren't completely set in stone so far in advance.

Plus, I'm sure the movie division is much more conscious of release dates than their comic counterparts.

#9 of 173 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 10:28 AM

Official synopsis Captain America’s First Avenger Story to be Rooted in WWII | Film School Rejects | In Development

Quote:
“Born during the Great Depression, Steve Rogers grew up a frail youth in a poor family. Horrified by the newsreel footage of the Nazis in Europe, Rogers was inspired to enlist in the army. However, because of his frailty and sickness, he was rejected. Overhearing the boy’s earnest plea, General Chester Phillips offered Rogers the opportunity to take part in a special experiment… Operation: Rebirth. After weeks of tests, Rogers was at last administered the “Super-Soldier Serum” and bombarded by “vita-rays.” Steve Rogers emerged from the treatment with a body as perfect as a body can be and still be human. Rogers was then put through an intensive physical and tactical training program. Three months later, he was given his first assignment as Captain America. Armed with his indestructible shield and and battle savvy, Captain America has continued his war against evil both as a sentinel of liberty and leader of the Avengers.”

#10 of 173 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,897 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 09 2008 - 05:33 AM

Know what would be great? Have the world war 2 movie, then after the credits, have him floating in the ice and have Iron Mans arm reach out to recover it. Perfect lead in to an AVENGERS movie.

I'm available for hire Marvel, just email me.... Posted Image

#11 of 173 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 05:13 PM

Joe Johnston is set to direct. Not a bad choice at all, IMO. He proved that he could do superhero period pieces when he made The Rocketeer.

Joe Johnston To Direct CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

#12 of 173 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 07:34 AM

I always liked Jumanji and Jurassic Park III. I am curious about his remake of The Wolf Man. That one could turn out to be really good. But overall, he's a good choice, I think (better than the rumored McG for Wonder Woman).
By the way, is Matthew Vaughn attached to any of the Marvel adaptations, at the moment? I thought he was going to direct Ant-Man, but I'm not sure.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 173 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:23 AM

Depends - do you count Kick-Ass as Marvel?

Vaughn was never on Ant Man - that's been Edgar Wright for as long as it's been kicking around - but he was on Thor and X-Men 3 at points.

Very glad to see Johnston with the job; he's just about ideal.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 173 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 10:08 PM

Profile on Marvel Studios with Big Updates from Kevin Feige FirstShowing.net

Quote:
But let's get back on topic, specifically The First Avenger: Captain America. Feige confirmed that it's "primarily" a period piece that takes place during WWII. He said they went and looked at Raiders of the Lost Ark, which he says he "didn't know" was a period piece when he was watching it. They want to make Captain America with the "same level of fun" as that. And in regards to director Joe Johnston, he said that this would be a little bit of The Rocketeer, lots of October Sky, and a little bit of the ship designs that Johnston did for Star Wars, alluding to how this is the perfect movie for him to direct. "It's the movie his entire career has been leading towards."
One reveal Feige did make is that Cap's sidekick Bucky would indeed be in Captain America. When asked by Boucher if he'll appear, Feige said "it's a safe bet" that he'd be in the movie "in some capacity." Moving into The Avengers, he was asked if Cap would be involved right from the get go: "Yes." Feige initially said that they talked about making The Avengers animated because it was so big and had so many characters (refer to this old article). But then he said "why don't we wait" until they introduce the characters in their own movies and then have them all come together in a "surprise" manner in a big Avengers movie.

#15 of 173 OFFLINE   AkashPrakash

AkashPrakash

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 11:55 PM

http://www.*********...***************Posted Image

#16 of 173 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 02:29 AM

Also, the rumor going around is that part of Monday's big release of Captain America #600 will be some casting information. Supposedly, Marvel's doing a Monday release (comics regularly come out on Wednesdays) because there's news coverage timed to coincide with it, possibly something bigger than what's happening in the comics. They've done a pretty good job of keeping that under wraps - there's indications that original Cap Steve Rogers is coming back, or the teen-girl Bucky from "Heroes Reborn" is going to appear, but neither of those seem big enough to make the wider world sit up and take notice.

The crazy, but big enough, rumor is that Marvel is going to revisit the themes of Robert Morales & Kyle Baker's Truth: Red, White, and Black, which posited that the Super-Soldier serum was tested on African-American soldiers before being given to Steve Rogers - both in comics and the upcoming movie, with someone like Will Smith cast in the lead. I kind of like the idea, but it would certainly be controversial - Johnston would have to make a damn good movie to get folks to accept it, although a lot of that resistance would probably vanish if Ed Brubaker spends the next year and a half making comics about Isiah Bradley that are as good as the ones he's made about Bucky Barnes.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#17 of 173 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 07:09 AM

http://www.filmjourn...a986c2e3b9?pn=2

Quote:
That "next job" is the much-anticipated The First Avenger: Captain America, featuring the Marvel Comics superhero created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby in 1940 for Marvel's forerunner, Timely Comics.

"We're in prep," Johnston says. "Rick Heinrichs is production-designing and we're set up down in Manhattan Beach [California]. It's the part of the process that I love the most," he enthuses. "We have eight or ten really talented artists, and we all just sit around all day and draw pictures and say, 'Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?' It's that phase of the production where money doesn't matter: ‘Let's put all the greatest stuff up on the wall and [then later] see what we can afford.'"

The film, he says at this early stage, will begin "in 1942, 1943" during World War II.

"The stuff in the ’60s and ’70s [comic books] we're sort of avoiding.

We're going back to the ’40s, and then forward to what they're doing with Captain America now."

I am getting really excited now

#18 of 173 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 11:52 AM

"The crazy, but big enough, rumor is that Marvel is going to revisit the themes of Robert Morales & Kyle Baker's Truth: Red, White, and Black, which posited that the Super-Soldier serum was tested on African-American soldiers before being given to Steve Rogers - both in comics and the upcoming movie, with someone like Will Smith cast in the lead."

Please no.

#19 of 173 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ 

"The crazy, but big enough, rumor is that Marvel is going to revisit the themes of Robert Morales & Kyle Baker's Truth: Red, White, and Black, which posited that the Super-Soldier serum was tested on African-American soldiers before being given to Steve Rogers - both in comics and the upcoming movie, with someone like Will Smith cast in the lead."

Please no.

no to which part?
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#20 of 173 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,852 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 12:34 AM

I think Joe Johnston is a good choice for this movie. One thing I would hope they change: the title. Gotta get rid of that "First Avenger" stuff. I know it is supposed to tie in with the Avengers movie, but audiences are smarter than that. The "X-Men Origins" title on Wolverine last summer was too cumbersome, and made the movie seem more of a product than a movie.

Forum Nav Content I Follow