-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix ROKU Player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted May 21 2008 - 11:41 AM

What do you think of it? It looks like all it can do is stream Netflix movies. What is the advantage of this compared to other products that stream (wirelessly or not) video to a TV?

#2 of 8 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 22 2008 - 01:51 AM

Presumably the advantage is for the people who have no interest in sitting at their PC watching a movie, or don't have the ambition to run a connection between their PC and their monitor. However they'll still have to connect the box to the internet (wirelessly or otherwise). Also at this point the box only outputs at 480i and no surround sound, so picture/sound quality isn't going to be great, although Netflix didn't rule out HD content down the road (the box is future-proofed pretty well). This should just been seen as a cheap alternative for the average consumer but I'm not sure it's anything for us to get excited about yet.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#3 of 8 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,357 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 22 2008 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielKellmii
What do you think of it? It looks like all it can do is stream Netflix movies. What is the advantage of this compared to other products that stream (wirelessly or not) video to a TV?
Watch Netflix movies without waiting on the mail, on your TV instead of a computer. And it's a flat cost for the unit. There's no additional service fee since it uses your Netlflix subscription. If I used Netlflix, this likely be a quick purchase for me.

#4 of 8 DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted May 23 2008 - 10:01 AM

I was just going to get a card with some RCA outputs for my tv next to my computer. Any suggestions on a decent card? Also, what about something that would send a wireless signal to my good TV. It can use just about any input out there.

#5 of 8 Nick

Nick

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted May 27 2008 - 03:39 AM

I was thinking of getting one myself. It got great review from several sites that reviewed it. It's HD ready with just a firmware upgrade.
I have PS3 and I read that I might be able to stream it from there sometimes in the future, So I think I should wait. If anybody knows when it's coming to PS3, Please share the info.

#6 of 8 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted January 21 2009 - 07:59 AM

I thought I'd bring up this old thread to ask if anyone has any experience with the NetFlix Roku device? I'm seriously considering getting one. I watched a documentary on my son's XBox 360 and I was thoroughly impressed. If the Roku works as well as the 360 with Netflix, I will definitely get one.

It will only be used for old tv shows, instructional type video, and things that don't need great sound (which includes my wife's movies Posted Image ). I'm looking to supplement my Blu-Ray.

Thoughts?

#7 of 8 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,009 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 23 2009 - 02:13 PM

Here is a comparison of Netflix streaming devices which includes the Roku:
Engadget's Netflix HD streaming shootout - Engadget

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#8 of 8 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted January 24 2009 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for the article, Keith. Seems like all of the players have some issue. The ROKU will be sufficient for what I want to do with it. Maybe later I'll look at one of the Blu-Ray's (when I decide to buy a second one).