What's new

JVC tube TV black box on screen problem (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just throwing this out there in case someone here has run into this problem.

A neighbor has a fairly recent JVC TV (don't know the model, its about a 30-36") which began displaying a black rectangle over the image for no apparent reason. The box looks to be the size of the menu background, and comes on after a few seconds and stays there. I dug around in the menus a bit to see if there was something obvious, but I didn't see anything that would cause this. I don't think it's a feature.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows what this might be.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
I believe this has something to do with the closed-caption display. Try turning off the captioning and the the problem should go away.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
No doubt about it, the wrong Closed Caption setting has been selected. It might be a menu setting or the remote may even have a seperate CC button. The owner's manual should have more info.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It was a CC setting in the menu, so that issue was fixed, but now the remote doesn't work after changing the batteries. Somehow both the internal speakers had been turned off and the CC setting changed. No idea how.

The remote didn't seem to be working correctly, as the menu button and the source selectors did nothing, so i changed the batteries out, but now, even though the LED on the remote indicates it is doing something, there is no response from the TV.... fix one thing, break something else!

Unfortunately the owners manual is not available.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Is it a factory original remote, or a universal ?

If it is a universal, then you will probably need to enter the correct TV code again since many will lose that info when batteries are changed.

If it is a multifunction remote then you must make sure it is in "TV" mode, not "VCR" or "Cable" mode in order to control the TV.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay, this wasn't the factory remote as I had first thought, so the reprogramming worked. Thanks for your help guys!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The black box by the way is the Text channel, which hasn't been used in a long time. When closed-captioning first started in 1980, the ABC network would use Text 1 and 2 to show various things like a listing of all the captioned shows that were on that week (which has proven useful in determining the date of old tapes) as well as news about the National Captioning Institute, and some brief news summaries and sports scores. They had stopped doing this by 1994, which was when I first got a TV that could display the Text channels- I thought it was an upcoming feature until I discovered that old tapes would display it.

When Text is turned on and there's not anything on it but there are closed captions, most TVs will display the black box. The TV I have now displays it even when there aren't any captions. No doubt this has scared a few people who turned it on without realizing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks