What's new

Question about Super Metroid. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I know it's not an exactly new game, since I got it around 14 years ago when it first came out(I haven't really jumped on the new game console bandwagon).

My question is not about the game itself, but the save mechanism on the cartridge. I still like playing the game once in a while, but the save often craps out on me and erases the game I had been playing. I recently gave up playing it because it became so frustrating. Like I said, I've had the game 14 years, so is it screwed now or is there any way I can fix it?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about fixing it, but, of course it's not too hard to obtain a copy of the game on your PC using an emulator, then you could save whenever and not have to worry about the cartridge save mechanism. Don't know about the exact legality of doing that, but since you own the cartridge, it might be ok.

Now that I think of it, I have seen websites that show you how to replace the battery in battery backup cartridges. Don't know where they are exactly and it obviously means opening up the cartridge and running the risk of damaging it.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Another option, if you have a Wii, is you can get the virtual console version. It is an exact duplicate of the original and the save function is identical to the cartridge.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
If you actually want to fix the cartridge, you have to acquire the special tool necessary to remove the screws on the cartridge case (3.88 mm Security bit-eBay is a great place for this. usually only a couple bucks) Then inside the Cart there should be a battery (CR2032), something that you can get at a watch counter or a hardware store. Replace the battery and you should be in business. Some require soldering to replace. Google something like "SNES Cartridge Battery Replacement" or any variation thereof, and you should be able to come up with detailed instructions.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Ok, thanks everyone.

One thing I like with the Super Nintendo is those controllers that have those buttons that have the things where you can slide over to super or whatever it's called. I could never get that move down where you could propel Samus upwards with the bombs, so that always helped me. Not sure if the Wii has or will have anything like that, or if the move is easier on the Wii, or I may get the game that way instead and not worry about the cartridge.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
talkin' about the "Turbo" switch? That was typically something that came on aftermarket controllers, and hence was not approved by nintendo. So no, the new controllers have nothing like it.

On a side note, I want to push you towards the Wii, 'cause if you're a Super Metroid fan, you should totally try the Metroid Prime series available for Wii & GC. They are IMHO an excellent step forward from Super Metroid, while still retaining all the goodness of the originals. Don't let the 1st person thing scare you. I'm a huge old school Metroid fan, and not a fan of 1st person shooters, but love the Metroid Prime series. Plus the GC's you can usually pick up for about $15 or so, and they'll play on the Wii!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks