Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WB needs to re-release older non-TrueHD BD titles

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim-J

Jim-J

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 08:05 AM

I was able to pick up on eBay a BD copy of Superman Returns with PCM & Dolby TrueHD audio. Apparently this version was exclusively packed with one of Pioneer’s players.
Does anyone know if Warner Bros has any plans on replacing their current non-PCM/TrueHD version with the Lossless one? Also, I know this affects some other WB titles as well. Perhaps WB could do a rolling change similar to the way they replaced some of their combo-HD-DVD titles.

Posted Image
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding"--Ra's Al Ghul

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 10:13 AM

I get the feeling it'll take Warner a looooong time before they rerelease such titles w/ lossless audio considering their history w/ DVD. Part of it is probably due to them being so business churning out yet-unreleased films on the given format, which is a good thing in itself. Considering there really aren't quite *that* many titles worth revisiting for something like this (compared to the tons of titles to look forward to), I don't think it's such a big deal if they take their time. Maybe they'll consider doing something when the next theatrical installment of the Superman franchise rolls around -- that's probably the earliest one can expect I imagine. _Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 10:42 AM

Some insiders on Blu-ray.com (MaxPower I believe) have said that the lossless Superman Returns is the default for reorders. However, WB is not going to replace discs already on shelves or institute a replacement program. As the old stock moves, it will be replaced with the lossless audio version. I have no idea about any other WB titles.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,647 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 19 2008 - 01:05 PM

nice going there Jim, how much did you pay for it.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,069 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 03:06 AM

probably an arm and a leg and his firstborn. Jacob

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim-J

Jim-J

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 03:26 AM

Thanks Tony. I got it last July for $28. I was real lucky. I saw a few auctions after mine that ended north of $70 Posted Image
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding"--Ra's Al Ghul

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 05:28 AM

Aaaaah. I read the original post too quickly, LOL. In that case, I guess it indeed would not be surprising if Warner quietly makes the switch at some point in the near future for new production runs of such titles. Cool! Guess I'll wait for that then before buying anymore of their lossy-only titles. _Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 4,004 posts
  • LocationWhittier, California

Posted May 20 2008 - 06:09 AM

I would hope that WB would redo the Blu-ray version and give us Dolby True HD for this title. They had Dolby True HD on the HD-DVD but not on the Blu-ray which makes no sense at all. But at the same time I will not hold my breath for Dolby True HD Blu-ray to become available anytime soon. Posted Image

My hope is if WB reworks SR and they put it out in a box set with all the superman movies that they will include a Dolby True HD track. Posted Image

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (259 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 20 2008 - 07:52 AM

Dave - they already have. They are to be phased in as the non-TrueHD/PCM versions get sold. (I also have a copy of the TrueHD version on BD).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,277 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 08:06 AM

I´ve to agree. We probably see some new "SEs" from Fox (with extras) sooner than "lossless re-releases" from Warner.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 4,004 posts
  • LocationWhittier, California

Posted May 20 2008 - 01:56 PM

Sweet, I can not wait to see the Dolby True HD copies at local retailers. Posted Image

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (259 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users