Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker connection questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   sonogirl

sonogirl

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 18 2008 - 12:48 PM

I am electronically challenged. I have 2 sets of wall speakers located in my living room and 1 set outdoors on my patio. Each pair of wall speakers has an individual volume control switch mounted on the wall. These speakers are not designed for surround sound.

I have a separate set of surround sound speakers but I do not use the rear speakers. I use front, center, and subwoofer.

Questions: Can I connect both my wall speakers and my surround sound speakers to the Denon AVR3808CI and use them independent of each other?
Will I need a separate amplifier? Can I have all three sets of wall speakers on at the same time playing the same source? Can I choose just to have the two sets of indoor wall speakers on without the patio speakers playing?

Thank you for your help. This site has been fantastic for information. I hope to understand it ALL one day. For now, I would be happy to get sound out of my speakers.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   robert bartsch

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted May 18 2008 - 08:13 PM

...not sure what you mean by use them independent of each other. If you mean play a CD to the outside speakers and the [different] sound from the cable box through the wall speakers at the same time - NO.

...today, everone is electronically challenged since, rocket scientists sem to be designing equipment today .

#3 of 3 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 19 2008 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
...not sure what you mean by use them independent of each other. If you mean play a CD to the outside speakers and the [different] sound from the cable box through the wall speakers at the same time - NO.

The 3808 has switching for three zones (only includes amplification for two zones assuming you aren't using 7.1) so you actually can do this depending on how you hook it up.