What's new

TV-Comedy Blind Buy Advice (1 Viewer)

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Hi guys I'm looking for some advise on what comedies to blind buy.
I have recently bought all the seasons of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, just started the Bob Newhart show.
I also love Cheers, Frasier and Seinfeld, aswell as two dramedies Boston Legal and Monk.
I just just ordered That Girl, but can any of you advise me on what shows I might like, e.g Wings? etc
Many thanks
Nick

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Well, Nick, since you list yourself as a 70sTVlover, how about "Barney Miller?" Unfortunately, only the first two seasons have been released to date.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
"Hi Bob" lol if you watch the bob newhart show you'll get that. I am considering buying that, Maude, Hazel and WKRP but because of the lack of seasons I am not so sure, because I am really gutted about the MTM and BN show being discontinued. Same with Newhart.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Thanks, I was looking at that, the thing that put me off was the short seasons.

What do you guys think about:
Maude
Andy Griffith Show
Golden Girls
Gomer Pyle
Home Improvement
Hazel
Cosby Show
All In The Family

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

There are some bonafide classics there, but I'll take "The Andy Griffith Show," even if it's been done to death on TVLand. Plus, you'll have no difficulty getting your hands on the entire series if you want it.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I think I might try season 1 of Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy, they look so good... I hope they are as good as the MTM show

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, I know you probably want to start at the beginning, but the first season of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW is nowhere near as good as Seasons 2-5. It gets better toward the end of the first season, but if you wind up not enjoying it and judging the entire series from it, that would be a disservice.

I would say the same thing about THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and THE ODD COUPLE, just to name two other series that had trouble finding their legs in the first season.

This discussion just cropped up on the MANNIX thread, the relative advantages and disadvantages to shows in their first seasons, drama usually being considered better when they are fresh, sitcoms blooming in later seasons. It's not a hard and fast rule, for instance the first season of THAT GIRL is wonderful, as is the first season of HAPPY DAYS, but there are definitely some sitcoms, like the ones cited above, that don't quite gel at the outset.

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
I would recommed
family ties all 3 seasons fourth one comes out in aguest
welcome back,kottoer season 1
Perfect stranger season 1 and 2
the hooneymooners classic 39
gave me a break-season 1
Happy day season 1
I love lucy season 1
Nightcourt season 1 if you like wings you might like nightcourt

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
if you'd like a female Seinfeld, I'd check out Absolutely Fabulous. Short seasons, but that's the UK for you. They're similar to Seinfeld in the sense that Patsy and Edina are selfish, shallow, self-serving and unredeeming, but they're hysterical to watch, just like the Seinfeld fab four

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Start with the classics in situation comedies and then if you have enough money, go for the lesser comedies:

All in the Family
Mary Tyler Moore
Dick Van Dyke
Beverly Hillbillies
Honeymooners Classic 39
MASH
Seinfeld
Simpsons
Get Smart

With a collection like the one above, kudos to any tv show today that could live up to their reputation. Also, the above shows are all uncut.

However, I would've added WKRP but I so regretted buying Season 1 with all the cuts and edits. I was one of those that thought that the show could live without the music - I WAS WRONG. The music IS a huge part of the show. Stay away from WKRP.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

I always thought THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW was one of the very few series that was cooking on all four burners from Day One. Or Day Two, actually. That pilot episode is a little strange with the kitchen set looking weird, no living room set and everyone wearing too much makeup.

But the writing was solid and consistent throughout the run and when viewed in reruns ad infinitem back in the seventies, one did not need to make the mental adjustment when the rerun cycle started over again as with other shows like "I Love Lucy" and "Bewitched" which had such a different look as time progressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks