Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV-Comedy Blind Buy Advice

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hi guys I'm looking for some advise on what comedies to blind buy. I have recently bought all the seasons of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, just started the Bob Newhart show. I also love Cheers, Frasier and Seinfeld, aswell as two dramedies Boston Legal and Monk. I just just ordered That Girl, but can any of you advise me on what shows I might like, e.g Wings? etc Many thanks Nick

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:18 AM

Well, Nick, since you list yourself as a 70sTVlover, how about "Barney Miller?" Unfortunately, only the first two seasons have been released to date.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:26 AM

"Hi Bob" lol if you watch the bob newhart show you'll get that. I am considering buying that, Maude, Hazel and WKRP but because of the lack of seasons I am not so sure, because I am really gutted about the MTM and BN show being discontinued. Same with Newhart.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,825 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:26 AM

If you're a fan of Seinfeld, I'd recommend Curb Your Enthusiasm (the show from Seinfeld co-creator Larry David) with the note that it's on HBO so it's often very R rated.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:34 AM

Thanks, I was looking at that, the thing that put me off was the short seasons.

What do you guys think about:
Maude
Andy Griffith Show
Golden Girls
Gomer Pyle
Home Improvement
Hazel
Cosby Show
All In The Family

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:38 AM

There are some bonafide classics there, but I'll take "The Andy Griffith Show," even if it's been done to death on TVLand. Plus, you'll have no difficulty getting your hands on the entire series if you want it.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:41 AM

I think I might try season 1 of Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy, they look so good... I hope they are as good as the MTM show

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:54 AM

The Odd Couple
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 10:47 AM

Nick, I know you probably want to start at the beginning, but the first season of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW is nowhere near as good as Seasons 2-5. It gets better toward the end of the first season, but if you wind up not enjoying it and judging the entire series from it, that would be a disservice. I would say the same thing about THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and THE ODD COUPLE, just to name two other series that had trouble finding their legs in the first season. This discussion just cropped up on the MANNIX thread, the relative advantages and disadvantages to shows in their first seasons, drama usually being considered better when they are fresh, sitcoms blooming in later seasons. It's not a hard and fast rule, for instance the first season of THAT GIRL is wonderful, as is the first season of HAPPY DAYS, but there are definitely some sitcoms, like the ones cited above, that don't quite gel at the outset.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   heathjack

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 04:15 PM

I would recommed family ties all 3 seasons fourth one comes out in aguest welcome back,kottoer season 1 Perfect stranger season 1 and 2 the hooneymooners classic 39 gave me a break-season 1 Happy day season 1 I love lucy season 1 Nightcourt season 1 if you like wings you might like nightcourt

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 05:06 PM

if you'd like a female Seinfeld, I'd check out Absolutely Fabulous. Short seasons, but that's the UK for you. They're similar to Seinfeld in the sense that Patsy and Edina are selfish, shallow, self-serving and unredeeming, but they're hysterical to watch, just like the Seinfeld fab four

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted May 17 2008 - 03:39 AM

If you love "Monk", you should really check out "Psych".

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 04:31 AM

Start with the classics in situation comedies and then if you have enough money, go for the lesser comedies: All in the Family Mary Tyler Moore Dick Van Dyke Beverly Hillbillies Honeymooners Classic 39 MASH Seinfeld Simpsons Get Smart With a collection like the one above, kudos to any tv show today that could live up to their reputation. Also, the above shows are all uncut. However, I would've added WKRP but I so regretted buying Season 1 with all the cuts and edits. I was one of those that thought that the show could live without the music - I WAS WRONG. The music IS a huge part of the show. Stay away from WKRP.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,611 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 20 2008 - 06:08 AM

I always thought THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW was one of the very few series that was cooking on all four burners from Day One. Or Day Two, actually. That pilot episode is a little strange with the kitchen set looking weird, no living room set and everyone wearing too much makeup. But the writing was solid and consistent throughout the run and when viewed in reruns ad infinitem back in the seventies, one did not need to make the mental adjustment when the rerun cycle started over again as with other shows like "I Love Lucy" and "Bewitched" which had such a different look as time progressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users