Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Scanner recommendations for new Leopard MacBook?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 10:02 AM

I just got a new black MacBook with OS 10.5.2, and I'm wondering what are the best scanners to consider.

I want a scanner that can not only scan documents and photos, but negatives, slides, etc., as well.

I've looked at some of the Epson models, as well as Canon, but the reviews on some other sites seem to be mixed, or nonexistant.

Wondering if I should wait until the companies get their software optimized for
Leopard?

Thanks in advance!
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Phil Kim

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 05:10 AM

This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but to bump, my scanning needs are served by Canon PIXMA MP600 (since succeeded by MP610), an all-in-one printer-scanner-copier unit. Although the driver doesn't offer as many options as Windows counterpart, it does what it needs to do, sufficiently fast, and pretty good image quality (requires some color correction for best results, however). My friend has scanned many of his 35mm films via Canon CanonScan 8800F with good results as well (to his MacBook).

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 04:37 PM

Thanks very much! I've sort of been leaning towards the Canon scanners since the reviews are bit more mixed for the Epson.

I have a 9-year old Umax scanner (that I got in a bundle with my old iMac), but I'm not even going to try hooking that up to the Macbook! Posted Image

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted May 20 2008 - 12:20 AM

I use the CanonScan 9900F for photos (although it accommodates slides as well) and the Epson GT2500 for document scanning.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,571 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 02:52 AM

Late last year I got a Microtek 4800, which is as big as a house, but scans legal size including film up to 8x10(!). The film scans were stellar, but the thing only worked for about a day.

I would suggest a film only scanner for film, particularly if you only need to scan 35mm.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 04:52 PM

Are the Epson film scanners any good? They've got a couple of them (the V500 I think is one of them) but some of the reviews are a bit harsh.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,895 posts

Posted May 21 2008 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MielR
Are the Epson film scanners any good? They've got a couple of them (the V500 I think is one of them) but some of the reviews are a bit harsh.
I've got an Epson 2580 Photo and it has been unplugged for a while due to the extreme awfulness of the bundled software. I bought a third party app, that at least worked and didn't fraking frell my Mac, but it had a truly horrific user interface (too lazy to look up the name on my old turned off G4).

Bottom line -- there is nothing wrong with the scanning hardware, but the last I looked, the software is a horror show.

What I'm looking for are software recommendations. I was looking at OCR software for OS X a couple of months ago, and the reviews of what's available was about to make me cry. Maybe Apple thinks of scanning as a dead technology, as irrelevant to its future as turntable or analog video input support...
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted May 21 2008 - 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov
I've got an Epson 2580 Photo and it has been unplugged for a while due to the extreme awfulness of the bundled software.
What kind of problems did you run into with the software?

Forum Nav Content I Follow