Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmation the PS3 will do this? (audio - AVMulti, video - HDMI)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 07:11 AM

I bought a set top Blu player around December before I found out about these silly profile issues (lt's a 1.0). I"m considering a PS3 for the ability to upgrade rather painlessly without buying another set top player for EVERY profile.

My TV is somewhat old and only has a HDMI/DVI input, meaning that it splits the video into the HDMI cable and the audio has to be plugged into ye olde RCA jacks (red/white).

My understanding is the PS3 has separate audio and video settings. So in theory you can set the video to HDMI and use the AV Multi cables to put out the audio. I keep seeing differing opinions online as to if this is possible or not (doesn't help that work blocks most of the sites).

I can see some of the instructions (thank you Google cache) from Sony's site, it sounds like that's how it works, but don't want to make another investment if it really doesn't work that way.

Cheers.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#2 of 10 Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 05:54 AM

You certainly can output video on the PS3 via HDMI and audio via optical (and I'm assuming the AV muti-out). I had my PS3 set this way prior to my recent receiver upgrade.

There are audio output and video output menus under the settings menu. From there you can select what method and resolution the video out is as well as the type of output for the audio. I'm not 100% positive you can output audio from the A/V multi-jack while HDMI is connected, but it certainly gives the option of optical output while HDMI outputs video.
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#3 of 10 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 05:58 AM

Excellent! Looks like I'll be heading to Best Buy for an early Father's day present Posted Image.

Thanks.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

#4 of 10 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 06:16 AM

Another question if I may?

Does the PS3 have component video out?
My tv has its lone DVI input in use but i have a couple of 'compenent in' inputs available.
I have been thinking about a PS3, but I didn't think it has 'component out'

Thanks a lot!!

#5 of 10 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper
Another question if I may?

Does the PS3 have component video out?
My tv has its lone DVI input in use but i have a couple of 'compenent in' inputs available.
I have been thinking about a PS3, but I didn't think it has 'component out'

Thanks a lot!!

You can output via component video if you buy the proper cable.

But with component you will be limited to 1080i for Blu-ray and upscaling will not be allowed for copyrighted DVDs. So weigh your options.

I run component vido myself and ahve been quite satisfied. My screen isn't so huge that upscaling SD would make that much of a difference from good 480p and the 1080i from BDs (the max my TV will do anyway) is spectacular.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#6 of 10 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 06:38 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick answer !!

My tv is only 1080i anyway so that's fine.
But, when you say when you say 'proper cable' do you mean a regular component cable or something unique to PS3.

I have plenty of component cables laying around so that would be perfect.

Thanks again.

#7 of 10 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper
My tv is only 1080i anyway so that's fine.
But, when you say when you say 'proper cable' do you mean a regular component cable or something unique to PS3.

Yes, you need to buy their proprietary breakout cable for this -- not too expensive at ~$20 though.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#8 of 10 Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 06:43 AM

Thanks to you as well !!

#9 of 10 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
But with component you will be limited to 1080i for Blu-ray and upscaling will not be allowed for copyrighted DVDs. So weigh your options.

Also, studios do have the capability to flag their BDs to be downrezed to standard definintion over any connection other than HDMI. I don't think it's ever been used, so it's not a real cause for concern at this time. But I'd thought I'd mention it anyway.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#10 of 10 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 16 2008 - 03:37 PM

Worked like a charm. I think the PS3 knew that was what I wanted to do because as I was going into setup I could hear animated clicks as I scrolled. I made sure the settings were AV Multi for audio and HDMI for video anyway. Threw in a blu-ray and all was well.

Now I just need to get it away from the kids (playing some game as I type this) so I can update the firmware and maybe even watch a Blu-ray one day Posted Image.

Cheers.
--Bernie Faulkner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow