Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF DVD REVIEW: Saturday Night Live - The Complete Third Season - Highly Recommended

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 10:07 AM

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 02:36 PM

I'm guessing you just didn't point it out, but was the "We knew John Belushi would die young, but not this young!" in the lobsters sketch of the Robert Klein episode still intact? I was a little worried they might choose to leave that one out, but there really isn't a precedent for deleted lines like that...

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 03:41 PM

Here's the actual lines about poor Mr. Belushi, as heard in the conclusion of the Robert Klein episode: ROBERT KLEIN: "John Belushi has been seized by an immense claw, and it's waving him about!! Oh, it's horrible!! (Bloody mannequin in a Bee costume is flung onto the stage) It's horrible! He had his whole life ahead of him! At least two or three more years, anyway!" At that point, Gilda Radner comes running across the stage in the midst of the mayhem, grabbing Klein and yelling "Save yourself!", etc. As an interesting sidenote, the end credits have one bonus item: "Lobster Roars by Chevy Chase".

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 04:20 PM

I'm watching a recording of the Things We Did Last Summer original broadcast...I noticed they used a lot of music in the original special (I Gotta Be Me, Miss You are quite prominent). I'm curious if those sequences were left edited from the release too (they must have taken it directly from the Pacific Arts Video release)

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 08:22 PM

I didn't notice much music in the special. There was the really cheesy title song (co-written by Don Novello and sung by Bill Murray and Gilda Radner), and I noticed a "Come on to My House" song during the Radner house tour section, but I didn't hear "I Gotta Be Me" or "Miss You". It's possible those were only licensed for the initial broadcast. Can you tell me what scenes had those songs, and I'll check again?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,104 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 08:58 PM

A classic season from a classic show. Here's looking forward to Season 4 at the end of the year.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 05:57 AM

Someone says that Jane Curtin's part of "What We Did Last Summer" is cut.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 08:48 AM

I read that, too. That's disappointing - I've never seen it because it also wasn't included in the VHS edition.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted May 15 2008 - 08:59 AM

I was unaware of Jane Curtin even being in "Things We Did Last Summer". But some websites point to a section with her going to Memphis that has apparently been removed from the special. Since the DVD version of the special runs just over 42 minutes, it would make sense that there could have been another 10 to 15 minutes of material if they were padding out a 90 minute slot. For the record, the version on the DVD covers the following: -Gilda Radner conducting tours of her apartment, etc. -The Blues Brothers (Belushi and Akroyd) on tour -Bill Murray plays minor league baseball -Garrett Morris works as a lawn jockey -Laraine Newman has an awful vacation in paradise And again, I did not hear any riffs of "Miss You" or "I Gotta Be Me" in this version of the special.