Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

bi-amp or not to bi-am

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ELSock

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 06:40 PM

ok i was wondering if it is possible to bi-amp my mains for 2ch stereo listening and not lose my 7.1. my mains are polk audio rm50t's, and my reciever is a pioneer elite 81txv. so i want them bi-amp'ed when listenin in 2ch mode, and not bi-amp'ed when watching a movie, unless the bi-amp'ing isn't going to effect the movie surround. also is it a bad idea to add an amp to my speakers ontop of the receiver amp, or should i add an actual amp as well? thx ~ELSock~

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 02:14 AM

Well, that sounds like a train wreck just about to happen....not puttin' ya down, but I doubt that the receiver is designed to handle such a configuration. You could get separate amplifiers just for your mains, and always bi-amp them, but seriously you wouldn't gain much. Are the speakers designed for bi-amping? If not, then you can't do so anyway.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 02:24 AM

In order to bi-amp, most speakers have you disconnect a bridge between the two sets of terminals. Also, bi-amping requires wiring through crossovers that aren't really easy to bypass once they are wired in. So switching from 2-channel to 7.1 channel would require reconnecting the bridge and getting the crossovers out of the equation somehow - pretty time consuming if you ask me. Have you thought of purchasing seperate amps so you can bi-amp the fronts at all times? This would be the most practical (and typical) setup and I see no reason why the benefits of bi-amping your fronts for stereo would adversely effect the fronts for 7.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users